Ghost Recon.net Forums
Tinker

Help Choosing External Harddrive

A bit lost with finding an external hard drive. Not used 1 before, what to look for?

Link to browsing

1TB hard drives as seen above. Massive price differences. There is 1 for under £100, and there is 1 for £370.

Any tips for refining my search? Drive would be mainly for storage.

:hmm:

I can highly recommend the Freecom 500 Gb drives

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quick...00#imagegallery

USB 2 is more than fast enough for normal storage and back up (No need to look at Firewire)

Very quiet drive

Nice sturdy Aluminium case for heat dissipation - so No need for a cooling fan (watch out though as some of their newer models have a plastic case)

read more > http://www.freecom.com/ecproduct_detail.as...ssCatID=1146551

I went with a seagate freeagent, I like their hard drives and they come with a 5 year warranty which cant be bad, I didnt really worry about cooling too much as its a case of turn on, copy stuff over, turn off. I never leave it turned on and 99% of the time its packed in its box.

I have a 320Gb Seagate, but prices have dropped some since I got it so you can probably start looking for bigger capacity now.

I leave mine on all the time and you can't hear it at all (above my tower fans anyway lol).

The WD 500Gb one seems most popular at ebuyer, but I prefer the upright ones as they take up less space on your desk.

Cheers for posts, having a look through links. Last point by Rocky fits for me. Stand up is desired, but without knowing, I would of ended up with the space munching 1.

:thumbsup:

I've got one of the older stand up Seagates and it's still purring along just fine. :yes:

I picked up the Freecom posted by Pave, as it is only for storing files, size and shape is not an issue.

Problem i found is, I had several folders containers lot`s of mods. Zipped them up and it came to around 6GB in size. When i try to move it to the external drive, it states there is not enough room? There is obviously nearly 500GB of space. Unzipped it moved the folders individually no problem. So I have my files moved, but do not know why I could not move the single zip file.

Is there a max size on transferring files?

<_<

I have this

Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500GB External Hard Drive

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?...305004fpd1e3-rk

£65.16 ex VAT, £76.56 inc VAT

This is the PRO version

With USB2.0, Firewire & eSATA connections,

I bought this because eSATA is super fast (depending on files around 40MB+/sec)

see reviews.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MRRWgQAh9HE

Is there a max size on transferring files?

<_<

Hmm, that's a strange one. I've backed up folders larger than 6Gb I'm, sure I have...

Package includes:

• Hard Drive (FAT-32 pre-formatted (Win/Mac))

We have a winner. Cheers SF. Not a big deal, least I know to keep the zips down in size.

Oh yeh, mine was also preformatted to FAT32, if I'd noticed it before I started using it I would have done a NTFS format on it.

Package includes:

• Hard Drive (FAT-32 pre-formatted (Win/Mac))

We have a winner. Cheers SF. Not a big deal, least I know to keep the zips down in size.

I use NTFS and regularly backup my boot drive Live (with Acornis True image Home 11) making files in excess of 200GB. Like 'Snowfella said 4GB for FAT32 (time to move on).

Just got home with this one as a replacement for my old external drive.

Western Digital MyBook 1Tb

Does all 3 connections available, current running as as firewire but I have free eSATA connectors...just not a cable at this time. First thing was to reformat it to NTFS.

Replaces an older backup drive that I put together myself from a chassi and an 80Gb 3.5" drive.

Only reason I picked the new one up was because it was misslabeled in the store, one single box had a pricetag of $100 less than all the others and it also scanned like that :rofl: So I walked out with a 1Tb drive for less than what they were charging for the 640Gb drives.

Also got 2 external laptop drives, one 120Gb and one 60Gb, that comes in handy for filetransfers.

Going to take apart the old external and use the drive inside it as an internal drive in the wife's rig as it's no longer needed for backups.

Well, even with no response to my query, I went ahead and bought it. It will be here tomorrow. I checked out the price at Best Buy and I save $30 by getting at Newegg.