New Lcd Monitor/tv

firefly2442

So I was using my computer just about an hour ago and my LCD monitor went dark. I restarted my computer and my monitor and then my LCD started smoking (literally...). :(

Anyway, I think it's time to get a new LCD monitor or maybe one of those combos that let you use it as a monitor or television. Considering that the TV I have now is incredibly old, it might be good to get a combo.

I guess my question is, should I look for TVs that have monitor inputs or LCD computer monitors that have a tv-tuner built in? I would think there are significant price differences between the two. Are there refresh rate issues with getting an LCD TV? Any suggestions for me? Thanks. :)

While I do have to admit that I am not entirely knowledgeable on the subject, I personally think a LCD monitor with dual inputs (whether dsub/HDMI or some other combo) is going to be more expensive than it's worth.

Perhaps an inexpensive LCD monitor coupled with an inexpensive TV card/USB device?

If you're looking for a flat panel TV that can also be a monitor, those are common enough, but they are priced like LCD TVs, which are typically two or three times as expensive as a LCD monitor/capture device combo.

YMMV. This is a personal opinion, as opposed to a properly researched commentary.

So far, I'm really liking the monitor. It has a ton of inputs and the ability to switch between PC and TV is pretty cool. It doesn't have picture-in-picture though, so that kinda sucks. I tested Crysis (looks amazing), Rainbow Six Vegas, World in Conflict, and Call of Duty 4 and all of them ran at the full 1920x1200 except for R6:Vegas. The TV quality isn't really good if you are sitting right in front of it. I just have regular basic cable so that might be the reason. Given the size of the monitor, I imagine if I got some HD channels they would look a lot better. Sitting on my couch though, the TV looks fine. The monitor itself is very stylish and I like the power button setup. The stand is average, it has horizontal movement but not vertical. I haven't tried it with HDMI or anything because I don't have a console. I haven't noticed any ghosting in games yet. I still have to try some really old games that are hardcoded for 1024x768 and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got a chance to see HDMI in action when my friend brought over his Xbox 360 last weekend. The picture is great, the contrast is fantastic. The black color is really black, it was so dark in some places we had to turn up the brightness in order to play some games. I also get some DTV channels and they look even better than regular cable in 1080i.

• 9 months later...