Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Foxtrot360

Gta Iv

GTA IV is due to be released for the PC in November.

Unfortunantely, the reccomended requirements for GTA IV is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I was thinking about purchasing it but after seeing the reccomended specs I think my 50$ will be spent elsewhere :(. (I dont have a Multi-core CPU, 2 GB RAM , or 512MB Video)

The recommended specs for GTA IV are; Windows XP SP2, Dual core processor (Intel Pentium D or above), 2GB of RAM, 18GB of hard drive space, a 512MB Direct 3D 10 compatible video card or Direct3D 9 card, and a DVD dual-layer drive. All things considered, the recommended settings could have been a whole lot loftier.

Source

Edited by Foxtrot360

Unfortunantely, the reccomended requirements for GTA IV is pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

How do you figure? What kind of hardware do you expect an engine designed for the 360/ps3 to run on? :huh:

Those requirements aren't official. The source, where they have been posted, has taken them off a few days ago.

Maybe they will stay like that, but with nearly 2 months to go, there is room for optimization.

Well, what gets me the most is the 512 MB of video memory. 2 GB is becoming the standard in RAM and Multicore CPUs aswell. Maybe its just because I'm used to GTA games running on pretty much anything.

But anyway, guess I'll continue playing older (but enjoyable) games, unless I think I can handle Medium graphics settings.

Edited by Foxtrot360

I was playing the Xbox 360 version of GTA 4 the other day and found it mostly entertaining. There are some weird user interface issues with it though. The map is lacking in some areas and the fact that you cannot resume some missions is a big downer. The auto lock-on for the console was also terrible in my opinion. Hopefully, the PC version will just take this out so we can use a mouse to do all the aiming. Besides the improved graphics, I think it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah it looks good, but its time for another upgrade.. gah.

I think it will have manual aiming for the PC as thats what happened for Vice City and San Andreas.

Edited by Foxtrot360

Well, from the IGN article, GTAIV has SecuROM now. No limit to the number of installations the user installs from the retail disc. You need to reauthenticate if you change a major piece of hardware like the video card. Needs an internet connection to activate. Sounds alot like the Company of Heroes when it comes to activation. Apparently you also need a account with Windows-LIVE and the Rockstar Social Club. I gotta say this sounds irritating aside from some of the player reviews saying it runs like ######, so I'll probably skip on this. Why do they have to keep overcomplicating things with stupid crap like DRM and now Bloatware?

Rockstar talks GTAIV DRM:

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/934/934268p1.html

Player Reviews at IGN:

http://rr.pc.ign.com/rrobj/pc/object/14269673/

Player Reviews at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-...3711&sr=1-1

Player Review at a blog:

http://www.thoughtmechanics.com/2008/12/02...views-on-amazon

Edited by Foxtrot360

Yeah, I saw that too but couldn't resist picking it up since I don't have a console. The online activation is annoying and it bugs you to login to social club and windows live. It's a darn good game though....

Its not the gameplay that I doubt, I believe the game itself is probably great, and even the negative reviews say so - however the bloatware and the need for Windows Live just to save your game in single player is just ridiculous. If I do get it, it will be after its been out a while so patches are released and the price drops.

That and I keep reading that it runs like crap even on high end systems with the lowest possible graphics settings.

Edited by Foxtrot360

"Higher settings are provided for future generations of PCs with higher specifications than are currently widely available,"

:wall::rolleyes:

Had my first crash to desktop today, I hope my saved game didn't get lost. I'd rather not have to play through all that again....

They better patch this quick otherwise there will be a lot of angry people...

Yeah there sure looks like alot. I'm glad I didnt pre-order it.

As I said its not really the gameplay that I think I'd have a problem with because if I thought that was bad I wouldnt be interested in the first place. But the stability of the game and the ridiculous jumping through hoops to get to the actual game looks bad.

Whats your specs firefly?

Q6600 Processor

4 GB RAM

Win XP

Nvidia 8800 GTX

I runs fine for me but I didn't change from the default settings very much. Bumped up the draw distance a little but that's about it.

Had another crash today, it was a bad one. I was right in the middle of a big mission with a firefight and it just crashed on me. Then later, I reloaded and was almost through with the mission (I think at least...) and the frameroute dropped like a rock. I was in a subway tunnel and it went to less than 1 FPS. It was so bad I had to restart my computer. I'm gonna try the 180.84 beta drivers that Nvidia released. I was running older 178 drivers so maybe this will help. Apparently, these beta drivers are better for GTA 4.... I'll see....

Well, these new drivers really helped. I haven't noticed any slowdowns or weird glitching/artifacts. *crosses fingers*- maybe this will help the crashing too but I'm not holding my breath....

A patch was released a few days ago so hopefully that will fix things. I haven't had any crashes since the patch so I guess that's a good sign so far...

I can't really tell, I think the new video drivers I installed helped a lot. I did beat the game today (the story at least... haven't found all the jumps/pigeons or done any of the races yet).

Well, atleast they solved some of the bugs. It looks fun but I'm waiting for it to get patched good and the price to fall.

Edited by Foxtrot360

Looks like the game came out a bit of a mess, if you look at gtaforums.com. Unoptimized code and whatnot igniting the usual raging and claiming the developer owes them money. You know the drill.

I've been playing the game for a bit and so far it has run ok-ish on my not-quite-up-to-date machine. No crashes or memory leaks that I've spotted. Lucky me.

Edit:

[...]It looks fun but I'm waiting for it to get patched good and the price to fall.

I'd definitely advice this to anyone considering purchasing this game. Wait a while for the prices to drop. Significantly. And maybe by the time you do buy it the modding scene will be up to speed. If it ever will be, thanks to Rockstar making it more difficult than before.

Edited by Harelip