Ghost Recon.net Forums
Foxtrot360

3-Activation Limit - Spore/mass Effect

Looks like its going to be like "Mass Effect" - Link 2

Only three activations, I was really thought Spore looked like a cool game until I read about this crap, I wont be buying it if it has this. Not to mention SecuROM :(.

Edited by Foxtrot360

Isn't this like the crap they tried to pull with Bioshock, then they patched it out after the uproar?

From the comments section of your link

This will be a gateway game for many people. It starts with cracking a legit game to actually be able to use it. Then, when you see how easy that is, you use the [Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7] patch. When that is super easy, you go ahead and install a friends game, crack it, and use the [Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7] patch so you can play whenever.

Then you decide you want a game that your friends don't have. Torrents away.

Pirates are caused by the people who make it a pain to play the games you paid for. Why pay to be treated like a pirate, when for free, you can be a pirate and not treated like one?

That's the most succinct summing up of the piracy debate I've read.

Isn't this like the crap they tried to pull with Bioshock, then they patched it out after the uproar?

AFAIK, they raised the limit for Bioshock to 5 installs after some issues (dunno the details, haven't played it). Mass Effect (PC) added an online verification every 10 days (i.e. every 10 days you must go online and verify your legit copy or the game won't play), and retained the 3 install limit. After some pressure, the 10-day activation was deleted (ostensibly because US servicemen complained that this would be a serious problem when deployed overseas), and Spore is supposed to be the same.

Alledgedly, the SecuRom used in these titles is hard to crack (i.e. it's still cracked it just takes longer). Makes you wonder what kind of funny stuff goes on in your PC with that on board, doesn't it? These are all nice games, but SecuRom is a huge detractor so I'll pass. Others will probably just pirate them and never look back.

PS: With the blanket lawsuit racket Codemasters pulled in the UK recently they're on my ######-list too. So no [OFP: DR] for me :nono:

Respectfully

krise madsen