Ghost Recon.net Forums
GreyHaired

Google Chrome Browser

Don't you find that when you install any new browser for the first time, it seems faster - but after use they all slow down for various reasons? That's what I've noticed, but I'm interested to see how Google's browser is recieved.

Don't you find that when you install any new browser for the first time, it seems faster - but after use they all slow down for various reasons? That's what I've noticed, but I'm interested to see how Google's browser is recieved.

This is because they're all based on the same archaic structure; run everything in a linear fashion, and keep piling addons, cookies, and temporary files into memory until the program slows to a crawl.

Chrome does neither of those things. Whether all of their solutions work as intended or not is yet to be seen, but if it has big problems, they're going to be different big problems than firefox, opera, safari, or IE. the structure is fundamentally different.

Been using it for a couple days, works perfectly as advertised so far, except on a few sites -- gametrailers, for example, runs horribly. Hopefully we'll see stuff like that fixed after Beta.

Using it now. Seems pretty quick, very streamlined - I like that.

Will report back in a few days.

I started to download Chrome, but right before I installed I found a rather interesting article about it's EULA.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10030522-56.html

and

http://gizmodo.com/5044871/google-chrome-e...posts-to-emails

I'm not very comfortable with forced updates and Google claiming ownership of everything I use in the browser, so I think I'll pass until this is changed.

I'm not very comfortable with forced updates and Google claiming ownership of everything I use in the browser

Sounds to me more like Google 'Totalitarian Domination' Browser. :ermm:

I'm not very comfortable with forced updates and Google claiming ownership of everything I use in the browser

Incase you havent seen my Gmail thread - http://www.google-watch.org/ I'm still on the fence about changing emails.

I havent tried the browser because I'm pretty happy with Opera.

Incase you havent seen my Gmail thread - http://www.google-watch.org/ I'm still on the fence about changing emails.

I had seen your thread. I considered the observations in that thread when passing my judgement on Google's Totalitarian Domination Browser. Then again, I'm not one to define or judge the difference right & wrong.... (what's right for one person is wrong for the person right next to them etc)

Edited by WytchDokta

It's fast, simple, and super easy to use.

I LOVE the startup feature of having some pages open automatically at startup. Very cool.

A little nervous about the EULA findings though.

I LOVE the startup feature of having some pages open automatically at startup. Very cool.

I don't know where the option is right now, but Firefox has that too.

Tools>Options>Main

I always start with a blank page, loads up faster and I never visit my sites in any particular order :)

Opera allows tabs that are still open when you close the browser to reopen to the same page when restarted. It has for several years now.

Opera also does a good job of sometimes opening the last page(s) I was on when something crashed, although sometimes it isnt possible.

Tools>Options>Main

Unless I'm looking at the options wrong, then...

What I mean is that with Chrome you can specify the pages you want to open, fresh, brand new, every time the browser opens.

For example: Everytime Chrome starts for me, Facebook, Myspace, GR.net, BFS.com, AR15.com, and LICD.com open in tabs automatically. They're not "saved" from the last time it closed, they do it on their own.

:)

What I mean is that with Chrome you can specify the pages you want to open, fresh, brand new, every time the browser opens.

YEh FF does that. Infact, if I have multiple tabs open, if I go to shut them all down it asks me if I want to save these tabs for opening next time.

Where? I can't find a place to do this. Is it a plug-in?

Where? I can't find a place to do this. Is it a plug-in?

Not a plug in AFAIK, if I have 2 or more tabs open and click the top right X to close them all down, I get a pop-up...

Do You Want Firefox To Save Your Tabs for Next Time?

Ok, I have that, but what I mean is that I have a setting in Chrome that is a bit more.

I go in to the options and go to "On Startup" and select "Open the Following Pages" - then, I've added a list (above) that open automatically, fresh, every time I open Chrome, regardless of what was open when I closed. Those 6 or 7 sites open up all at once as soon as Chrome starts. I've found a FF plugin that's similar and more advanced called Morning Coffee I might give a try.