Ghost Recon.net Forums

Ubisoft Ceo On Piracy And Pcs

Oh dear.

The PC gaming community is very often against any kind of system that prohibits piracy, which I have difficulty understanding.

Well, there's your problem right there. How difficult is it to understand that the anti-piracy systems used by Ubisoft to date frustrate no-one except the legitimate buyer. Geez.

If the head of Ubisoft can't see that it's no wonder they now openely admit they have all but abandoned the PC market.

The last big PC hit was Far Cry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Cry and we are coming out with Far Cry 2 specifically for the PC, but that will be an exception.

Full Article.

It is obvious to me that this guy has mush for brains. If he is so worried about piracy, he better keep an eye on the console market where piracy is even bigger, especially in markets outside of Europe and North America.

If his company actually developed decent games, he would probably not have to worry about piracy. His rant about PC gamers not wanting CP protection while on the mark, misses it by miles on the why not. We all know that there was a $5,000,000 class action lawsuit filed due to their use of Starforce due to it breaking PCs. I know of people with first hand knowledge of using SF on the development side that will tell you that it causes problems, even for the devs. Sorry Yves, you don't know jack.

That interview was the best argument yet for why I don't buy Ubi games.

"Bigger budgets, bigger sales": Sure, but also more mass appeal (in order to generate bigger sales). I'm not into mass appeal games. I'm into good niche games, so I don't see much point in buying Ubi games.

"The big sales are on consoles so that's where we put our focus": Fine. I don't play on consoles, but if you port a good game to PC I might be interested. Unfortunately, Ubi ports are arguably the worst I've ever seen.

"I don't understand why PC gamers are against copy protection": What you don't understand is, that PC gamers aren't really agaisnt copy protection. What we are against is copy protection that screw up our PC's and don't prevent piracy anyway. So why should I take a chance with your games that might mess up my PC, make things more difficult for me (but not for those who just pirated the game) and not stop any piracy?

"We're working on our own digital distribution system": Why? Just put your games on Steam and Impulse and you'll be fine.

I do think we should give Yves credit for being fairly straightforward in this interview. Just to put the icing on the cake, I would really love for him to explain what went on when Ubi decided to make PC-specific version of GRAW1 and GRAW2.

Respectfully

krise madsen

If he is so worried about piracy, he better keep an eye on the console market where piracy is even bigger, especially in markets outside of Europe and North America.

I haven't seen any actual numbers that say otherwise, but I highly doubt that piracy on the consoles is more of an issue then on the pc. Just from the simple fact that you have to have your console physically moded to play pirated games would make me think that the issue just isn't as strong for console gaming.

Nintendo Asks U.S. to Address Video Game Piracy Problems Worldwide

“The unprecedented momentum enjoyed by Nintendo DS and Wii makes Nintendo an attractive target for counterfeiters,†said Jodi Daugherty, Nintendo of America’s senior director of anti-piracy. “We estimate that in 2007, Nintendo, together with its publishers and developers, suffered nearly $975 million USD worldwide in lost sales as a result of piracy. Nintendo will continue to work with governments around the world to aggressively curtail this illegal activity.â€

Now this is just Nintendo and not other companies.

New Report Discusses Console Piracy while several years old, it still is relevent.

Id say piracy on consoles is a bigger issue on consoles purely on the basis of all the money the big 3 (nintendo/microsoft and sony) have ploughed into the hardware, they've made big losses on hardware in the hope that they'll recoup it in software sales, microsoft certainly didnt contribute any money towards my pc. So every pirated game there really hits them, probably a fair bit harder than a pirated pc game would.

The consoles can be chipped anywhere too, from your local independent games shop to the local computer fair, they're all at it and with the credit crunch in full swing I bet a lot of parents are wondering if its worth spending 40 quid plus on a game when they can get little timmy's console chipped and get the games from the bloke down the pub, if they can still afford to go to the pub that is.

Those articles only show though that there is a piracy problem on consoles, not that the problem is bigger on the consoles then the PC which was your point. I don't think you'd be able to quantitatively prove your statement above which is what I was getting at.

The flaw with the statement in the nintendo article is that they are most likely assuming that every pirated game = lost sale, which if you applied the same formula to the pc the number would be a lot higher.

We're at slightly crossed lines mate, we both agree that pc piracy is higher than console the point I was trying to get across is that the big 3 invested heavily in the hardware for consoles and hoped to get that money back in games sales, bit like microsoft giving you the computer for almost nothing and hoping that you'd buy every bit of software you use as they would get commission on it.

It must be a right kick in the teeth to sell the consoles at a big loss then find every tom dick or harry can get chips for them which can be updated to work around your attempts to resecure the console.

The last big PC hit was Far Cry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Cry and we are coming out with Far Cry 2 specifically for the PC, but that will be an exception.

I wonder why? could it be they keep getting it wrong? :yes:

:yes:

But after a post such as this, isn't it generally when Sup (no offense :D ) will step in and school us on just how smart Ubisofts' business practices are and how we are all just an unwashed and mis-informed minority?

We're at slightly crossed lines mate, we both agree that pc piracy is higher than console the point I was trying to get across is that the big 3 invested heavily in the hardware for consoles and hoped to get that money back in games sales, bit like microsoft giving you the computer for almost nothing and hoping that you'd buy every bit of software you use as they would get commission on it.

It must be a right kick in the teeth to sell the consoles at a big loss then find every tom dick or harry can get chips for them which can be updated to work around your attempts to resecure the console.

Yeah, sorry. I meant to say I actually agreed with you on your point. The consoles probably have more to lose if it becomes a bigger problem. I was only replying to the post on the articles and the statement that piracy is a bigger issue on the consoles vs. the pc. It could have a bigger impact like you said, but right now I just don't see it's effect yet on that industry.

Like you said, with the economy headed the way it is it could hurt consoles. Amazingly though sales for console video games have been increasing, even with the decline in the economy, so right now I don't think they are too worried. If things change though and it becomes a bigger issue on the consoles then you're right, the harware makers will feel the pinch more.

Honestly I think the whole piracy issue though is just a bunch of smoking mirrors for the developers to use as an excuse as to why their game sold so poorly. If you make a great game that people like to play you will make money. There are always those people who will spend their hard earned money on a game because they either find pirating games too dificult, or they are just honest people (hopefully we're the later). Making a buggy, not so user friendly game, is just something that irritates us as gamers and drives us away and then the devs blame it on the people who stole the game to explain away their poor sales figures so they can sleep better at night. In honor of the whole reason why we're all here I'll use our beloved Ghost Recon as an example. It's a title that I have actually bought multiple copies of. Some as back ups, others as presents for friends so I'd have people close to me that I could play with. I'm sure Ghost Recon has been downloaded illegally many many times, but the proof in the pudding has been us the loyal fans who have played it over the past several years and keep playing it to this day. Simply put I guess, If your game isn't worth playing then the only people who are going to play it are the one who got their money's worth (Pirates :pirate: ).

Anyways, rant off.