Ghost Recon.net Forums

Just curious if anyone has seen any cool computer desks floating around online. Something neat that's not too expensive. I'd really prefer a corner desk. But I was wondering what all I'm not seeing at Office Depot, Best Buy, and Office Max.

Thanks guys

My old desk was a cheapo fibreboard desk with a customised piece of mdf on it, I'd got it in the corner so bought a big piece of mdf and cut it to what I wanted and screwed it to the cheap desk, bloody loved that desk I did, it had all the cabling slots in the right places and was cut in where the chair was so I could get comfortable :( had to saw it up when I moved home as it didnt fit.

CPL - Negative, no Ikea around here.

I found this which I like, but still pricey.

Rocky, let's keep our fingers crossed.

Well that sucks, would you consider IKEA shipping?

I've seen that desk posted before, only major complaint is that the monitor area might be limited when you get your 24" or bigger monitor. Since it says it can fit 21" only.

Not sure if you could mod that desk itself by separating the two towers further apart.

Not much of a carpenter, but just an idea.

what is the budget if I may ask?

I got mine in Ikea recently after a long time looking. I was initially after a corner desk as well but started to find the more I looked that they would take up far more room than a normal desk of the right size for my room/ corner.

I came across this one in Ikeas bargain corner where they reduced it from £180 to £40 because it had a draw missing, must be one of the most expensive drawers I've ever known lol anyway needless to say I bought it and despite not being a corner desk it fits well, pretty damn perfect for what I needed tbh, not sure if its anything like what your after especially as its not a corner one but its current stock

000_0005.jpg

If you really want a corner, this is sort of what I did, buy yourself a crappy corner unit like this

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/3945...esk-With-Shelf/

get some MDF and cut it bigger than the desk, screw it on and put the little cd shelf back in place or a little further back or leave it off altogether, the beauty of doing it yourself is if your room isnt quite square you can make the desk to suit. Forgive the fag packet sketch but it should end up something like this

deskzp2.jpg

If you really want a corner, this is sort of what I did, buy yourself a crappy corner unit like this

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/3945...esk-With-Shelf/

get some MDF and cut it bigger than the desk, screw it on and put the little cd shelf back in place or a little further back or leave it off altogether, the beauty of doing it yourself is if your room isnt quite square you can make the desk to suit. Forgive the fag packet sketch but it should end up something like this

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4452/deskzp2.jpg

Or what I did was take that layout, but remove the desk underneath and instead screw batons along the wall and screw the custom cut MDF down onto them. :thumbsup:

My original was where an old built in wardrobe used to be so it came out and I had a shelf running alongside the wall for a bit too with some batons to support it, had a 17" monitor, printer, keyboard, mouse and a full size A4 scanner on it with loads of room to spare too, biggest expense was the MDF as I used fairly thick stuff so it wouldnt flex where it hung over the desk.

I got mine in Ikea recently after a long time looking. I was initially after a corner desk as well but started to find the more I looked that they would take up far more room than a normal desk of the right size for my room/ corner.

Hey Klean, great setup you have there! I like how you have your Xbox 1 and 360 side by side. Do you play them on your computer monitor and if so do you use some sort of switch? What games are you still using your old Xbox for? Also nice pink wireless 360 controller :thumbsup:

Yep, Ikea rocks. I got a Goliat corner desk a couple years ago and they are now out of production. Personally, I like a desk with an upper shelf to put stuff (printer, speakers, etc.) Only drawback is it didn't come with a keyboard tray

Here's an image of what my Goliat desk looks like (from Craig's list). I modded it a bit (removed some of the extra shelves for CD storage etc)

01011201161201031020080804fb22ee990e4fe734f20093b9.jpg

Strangely enough I used to be able to bolt my sidewinder wheel onto it and have lots of room to play, not a chance on this thing i've got now though, plus microsoft in their infinite wisdom chose not to allow the sidewinder software to run on xp, so the wheel works but not like it should, nice going Bill :(

• 2 weeks later...

@ Crowman - that idea sounds pretty good, cost effective and certain to result in exactly what your after whichwhen shopping is impossible especially when you've a firm idea in mind.

Hey Klean, great setup you have there! I like how you have your Xbox 1 and 360 side by side. Do you play them on your computer monitor and if so do you use some sort of switch? What games are you still using your old Xbox for? Also nice pink wireless 360 controller :thumbsup:

Aww thanks :) I’ve only recently got the old Xbox back downstairs as I had it upstairs for a while, I need to get around to sorting some spare cat cable but once sorted I’ll be going online on GR & GRIT

They are backwards compatible on the Xbox360 but you lose voice because of the old push button to talk system hence I want to be able to get back on the black box :)

Until now GR & GRIT were the only games I played on it in a while but now it’s back downstairs and easier to get to that might change. I’ve still got a fair few old titles as I’m not generally one for trading, might have to sort through and see what draws my attention

Both run through the monitor yes, I did used to use a TV switch on my old monitor but never liked it much, the switch was great but the monitor wasn’t good enough to support it so the graphics suffered compared to TV. This one is a HD TV/ Monitor combined so I can plug in multiple units via scart, VGA, HDMI etc and switch between them via a quick remote control flick and still have a great picture.

Yep, Ikea rocks. I got a Goliat corner desk a couple years ago and they are now out of production. Personally, I like a desk with an upper shelf to put stuff (printer, speakers, etc.) Only drawback is it didn't come with a keyboard tray

Here's an image of what my Goliat desk looks like (from Craig's list). I modded it a bit (removed some of the extra shelves for CD storage etc)

01011201161201031020080804fb22ee990e4fe734f20093b9.jpg

Before getting this one I was looking at a lot of units with upper units like yours, I think if you’ve limited space as I have they’re great although the main issue I started to find was most are corner units which initially I thought would be great but increasingly discovered would be too big in my room and narrow desks like the one I now have aren’t big enough across the top to house them. I have to say though if you’ve a big enough room I still think corner desks are better