What once seemed to be the distant future...

Way to go Rocky!!! Well-deserved and a nicely written piece.

Hey, what is this GR "Legacy Edition"?? Don't think I've actually seen it in stores ...

Isn't it a little bit of double irony to give out Xbox 360 GRAW (Legacy Edition) for a PC [GR] anniversary...or is it just me? :hmm:

Oh wow, you beat us to this. Glad to see we're not the only ones reminiscing. I should have a post up shortly to celebrate this day...so stay tuned. :P

I hope I'm not too terribly blunt, but we are more than just "reminiscing". We are painfully in need of a proper GR game. We didn't just pop the old game in for sentimental reasons, we've been playing it every day for 6 years because it is still the only game in the series true to the name.

I refuse to behave like suddenly we and the devs and Ubi are all on the same page. Not directed at you Kimi, but you're the one who posted so you're the one who got quoted.

Quite frankly I don't see where this event had much of anything to do with Ubisoft. I'm glad none of them posted here, as I think it would have been in poor taste.

Anyway, enough about those who don't matter. I can't believe this event (the date, not the little contest) passed without my knowing it. It must have been fantastic to be online at that moment!!!

Edited by doubletap

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine too! Thanks Kimi and the folks at RSE!

http://www.ghostrecon.net/images_news/box.jpg

I love it! Is it the big one?

I still have the big box at my parents somewhere. Keep meaning to cut it out and put it in the archive. I don't know why but I love collecting the box covers and started cutting them out about 10 years ago. Kind of stopped recently but GR was one of the last big box games I have. Even the expansions were smaller...seemed so weird at the time but now I'm use to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two afternoons ago I was diving on Tent Wall (17°37'9.19"N 63°15'38.46"W for those who use Google Earth). As I was making my way back toward the boat and casually looking around at stuff, those words popped into my mind out of nowhere.

Welcome to Tbilisi, gentlemen

Not too big of a mystery considering that I still play [GR] a few times a week, though I haven't played an SP version of those missions in years, so I don't know why those exact words came to me, especially at such an odd moment.

In 2002 I downloaded the demo and immediately went out and bought the game and DS. IT came out shortly after that. In September of that year I took off on an open-ended off-road motorcycle camping trip. Being hooked on computers, I took along my laptop and a tiny Yamaha generator so that I could spend some of the free time I had ahead of me playing games. I have played GR in some pretty remote places!

This is in Tikaboo Valley, just a few miles from the 'Area 51' access road guard shack. I camped out there for a few days and played a lot of [GR] in the evenings waiting for the sonic booms to start. Click for a full size image:

area511920x1200wi1.th.jpg

In the full size image you can see the generator still wrapped up in trash bags near the tent, the pelican case with the laptop and other goodies in front of the chair (Can't go on an extended off-road camping trip without the ANPVS7's!), and in the drink holder of the chair is the sat-phone.

Technically I never returned from that trip as I ended up becoming a dive instructor and living in the Bahamas, Brazil, and now here in the Netherlands Antilles. Over the years I've played [GR] in some odd places indeed, and it remains a staple source of entertainment for me to this day.

-Doc

Two afternoons ago I was diving on Tent Wall (17°37'9.19"N 63°15'38.46"W for those who use Google Earth). As I was making my way back toward the boat and casually looking around at stuff, those words popped into my mind out of nowhere.

Welcome to Tbilisi, gentlemen ...

Great story Doc, and that photo is superb - as the years advance photos like that make me want to think more about travelling. One man and his tent (and GR), camping out at Area 57 looking for security devices lol, great stuff.

Remember that as a supporter you can now have a file manager account, which would allow you ease in uploading your photos, and we wouldn't have to wait 4 minutes for imageshack to display them. :rofl: Send me a PM if you want me to set that up for you. :thumbsup:

Let's see if I've done this correctly.

Does this link work for you? I don't want to put the image in the post as it's a tad large.

Who will run the board if you leave? :)

As for the picture, it may seem that the only thing missing is an M4, but there is a Clements-converted Ruger Super Redhawk in .500 Linebaugh in the side box on the other side. (I spent a lot of time in bear and mountain lion country.)

Man, that picture is making me depressed about not being 'out there' anymore. That was in the Black Rock Desert. (Thankfully not during Burning Man.) I got to have dinner with the guys who were there celebrating the 5-year anniversary of their having broken the world land speed record there.

Sorry to the OP for the semi-thread hijack.

-Doc

Let's see if I've done this correctly.

Does this link work for you? I don't want to put the image in the post as it's a tad large.

Yep, great picture, and we have BMW's in common! :thumbsup:

You can include the image in your post so long as it's resized to no more than 500px wide if you like, but the link works fine.

Great photo. It really yells out "remote".

Sorry to the OP for the semi-thread hijack.

-Doc

Yeh, you need your own thread, or blog (!), which can you also have if you wish :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely enough, I just started playing GR again after a many year hiatus: when GR2 and the others didn't come out for OS X, I moved on. Since I last played I have a much better machine, with a real video card, and have been enjoying the last few days of reintroducing myself to GR.

I wonder how long it's been since my last post here?

Strangely enough, I just started playing GR again after a many year hiatus: when GR2 and the others didn't come out for OS X, I moved on. Since I last played I have a much better machine, with a real video card, and have been enjoying the last few days of reintroducing myself to GR.

Are you still playing on a Mac?

After 20 years of Windows, I finally switched to a Macbook Pro in May. I love it. Except for the game thing. Or the "no game" thing I guess you'd call it.

Coming from a game / performance PC addiction that spanned from Windows 3.0 and Wolf 3D, to XP Pro and the latest tiles of 2007 or so, the Mac game offerings seem particularly anemic to me. "Hey, that's a cool game! At least it was when I played it on a PC 4 years ago." That kind of thing.

However, the fact that there is a Mac version of [GR] is as amazingly cool of Red Storm as was the inclusion of a 1920x1200 screen res option on a game that came out when it did.

The drag is that I haven't played without mods for years, so I've never even bothered installing it on the MBP.

Currently I am playing [GR] on a Dell XPS2 laptop that cost $4,200 in it's day. It's still more than good enough for [GR] with it's Nvidia 256MB 7800GTX and 1920x1200 screen. (I play it connected to a 24" LCD of the same resolution though). I use that laptop for nothing else. ZERO. It's an [GR] box. That's the real drag about being a gamer who uses Mac: I have to spend $3k on a PC to play the kick-butt games... and do nothing else with it because I have no use for another computer. I could get a Mac Pro and dual boot Windows for the games and use OS X for everything else, but I'd rather just use the MPB, and the Mac Pro won't stand up to any PC I could put together for the same price.

Please, don't even mention "consoles".

-Doc

Did the same thing earlier this year. It really is a great game to rediscover isn't it? I wonder how many other games we can say that about? Probably not many.

About two and a half years :)

Respectfully

krise madsen

Are you still playing on a Mac?

After 20 years of Windows, I finally switched to a Macbook Pro in May. I love it. Except for the game thing. Or the "no game" thing I guess you'd call it. . .

Still on a Mac.

I've never been a big gamer, tho, so that lack of games doesn't bother me. Most games are too linear for me. My favorite thing about GR--and about games in a similar vein, like Deus Ex--is the playing field is completely open. GR puts you on the map, and how to accomplish the goals is completely up to you. I love that: I have to think instead of just run through a scripted maze and shoot things. I've tried some other games, like Max Payne and Prey, played them through once, and never played them again.

Lately I've been flight simming with X-Plane, and I'm loving that.