New PC Build - comments?

Rocky

Uhm, hows this for available HD space...

Seagate 500Gb drive - once formatted and partitioned, a total of only 465Gb is available. :blink:

Hitachi 300Gb drive - 298Gb available. :thumbsup:

I know some space is lost during formatting etc, but 35Gb off one drive? :blink:

Edited!

Don't forget that what's sold as a 500gig drive has 500,000,000 bytes of storage space. A gigabyte isn't 1,000,000 bytes, but 1*1024*1024 bytes, aka 1,048,576 bytes of actual space.

Thus, 500 "gigabytes" is 500,000,000/1,048,576 which is approximately 476.8 actual gigabytes of space, much closer to the reported 465 you're seeing.

Drives are sold by the million bytes, but store by the actual gigabyte of space.

Wasn't there a class action lawsuit about that some time ago? It is kinda annoying that they do that. It's similar to broadband ads where they say a connection is 10 megabit, which is obviously not equal to 10 megabytes which people probably get tripped up on.

Yeah, I got the exact same Seagate 500GB drive and have the same amount of space as you. The HD size naming conventions are very misleading, just like the monitor sizes that measure diagonal etc.

I actually have another Seagate 500GB for a system I'm building tomorrow for a charitable organization - guess we never learn haha

So are you going to partition your drives?

So are you going to partition your drives?

Yep.

Win XP partition = 60Gb

Games = 200Gb

Websites = 150Gb

Downloads = 55Gb

Media = 100Gb (digital photos)

Projects = 200Gb (video capture etc)

Here's a shot of the p900 with the lights on the two front fans, and a close up of my interior. Managed to keep all the cables away from the GPU, the air flow is amazing - although it does mean it's sucking in quite a bit of dust (there's no filter on the p900). The CPU temp is being clocked at only 12 degrees usually lol! I don't seem to be getting a GPU reading though... :ermm:

p900.jpg

I just noticed my other thread from when I installed the 7800GS, do you know that was almost exactly 2 years ago! I can't believe I've had to upgrade this soon. Mind you, if the card had not died on me I would have got another year out of it.

Time to run some new benchmarks and compare them to these.

I have the same case and really like it. Where did the side fan go though?

On the perspex there is a bracket, but it doesn't come with a side fan - theres also a big black bracket on the HD unit, but no fan supplied. So, at least here anyway, you get the two front fans, a rear expeller, and a huge top expeller.