Ghost Recon.net Forums
Papa6

Photo Corner

Wow, I'd love to take a photo like that. I'd frame it and put it up the my living room and everytime someone was in, I'd be like, "I took that".

Infact, please share again how you achieved that. Camera, lens, tripod and telescope (?)

Thanks Rocky

Camera is a Canon EOS60D

Lens is a Canon EF100-400MM f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

mounted on a very sturdy Manfrotto tripod

and the camera was triggered with a remote

Exposure is 1/80sec at F10 iso 100

The camera is set to the largest resolution and I shoot in RAW format

I focused on the moon using the LIVE VIEW function then use the magnify button to zoom right in so I can manualy focus the lens. It take a few shots (10) to ge a good sharp image, due the the amount of atmospheric distortion in the sky, ie heat haze, and thermal haze.

Then out of the camera, into Photoshop to get ride of any distortion and chromatic aboration, then a crop and its done.

Well worth the effort, easy for me to say though lol. Impressed.

Spotted this little guy in the zoo, adorably friendly.

curious_lilac_breasted_roller_by_zeealex
lilac_breasted_roller_by_zeealex-d7zqlm6
relaxed_lilac_breasted_roller_by_zeealex

other shots (some of them were taken ages ago)
a_very_happy_jaguar_by_zeealex-d7zqnyz.j
spotted_by_a_cheetah_by_zeealex-d7zqnxt.a_bee_by_zeealex-d7zqnx5.jpgalert_ornate_wolf_by_zeealex-d7zqlsp.jpgsleeping_ornate_wolf_by_zeealex-d7zqlqq.capybaras_doing_capybara_things____by_ze

• Like 3

Found the link to all your photos on Flickr.

Very, very nice!

Found the link to all your photos on Flickr.

Very, very nice!

Thanks Wombat

Just in case anybody's interested,  Its a 98% Moon tonight lets hope the sky's stay clear for the Full Moon on Christmas Day. It will be the 1st since 1977 and there will not be another one until 2034.

Moon Dec 23rd 2015

• Like 2

6 After a little touch up in PS to hide the worst of the spray marks refracting on the window.

6 After a little touch up in PS to hide the worst of the spray marks refracting on the window.

Good eye...didn't noticed those

thanks guys

Better late than never, gone from hobby modder to hobby photographer in the last few years. Mainly birder and landscape but having a long lens handy the moon is never to far away :rofl:

12 image stack out of a 500mm lens, worst time of the month to get a moon shot as full moon = least contrast.

DSC04160_zpsh8u9oaec.jpg

• Like 4

Great photo and Great timing Snowfella. Previously Hammer has posted moon shots that are also impressive.

I say great timing because a few days ago I went out with my daughter and her nikon d330 to try moon shots. We thought we would try tripod and auto settings first. You can imagine the results. Then we tried the following settings which I googled, 

shutter speed 1/250 

aperture f/10, or f/11

ISO200 

Take photo using remote

The result was the best moon photo I have ever taken, but very poor LOL. I don't think I can even bring myself to post it.

Yours is spectacular and one day I would love to take a photo like that, I have been into astronomy since I was 10.

Great work and I would really like it if you could post up the equipment, settings and process.

• Like 1

Cheers Rocky.

Shot it using my Sony A77 and a Sigma 150-500mm lens from a tripod. Usually "cheat" and let the camera figure out shutter speed using spot metering on the moon rather than try and dial it in by hand.

This was 500mm, 1/400sec, F/8 and ISO100...near full moon so it's rather bright. Fired off 14 shots as quick as the camera could shoot them.

Processing was rather simple. First a bit of a crop in Lightroom and exported all the files as full resolution jpg's. Next step really is the key, imported the lot into Registax (free astro stacking software) and combined them all together. A single shot holds a fair bit of detail, and noise, but by combining several shots that detail is enhanced and noise removed.

Saved the result and brought it back into LR for a closer crop and a few minor changes.

Registax is a little tricky to use but well explained, along with download links and settings, in this tutorial starting around the 4:30 mark.

What a great guide, subbed!

Unfortunately, if I have to choose between a Vive + GTX1080 combo and a 500mm lense, I thnk the gaming gear is going to win, so keep posting those pictures because I don't think I'll be taking that quality of photo for quite some time!

Really enjoyed that video. 

Would a SIGMA 170-500mm f5-6.3 APO ZOOM LENS - CANON EF FIT be any good on a D3300 for moon shots?

There's some on ebay.....

Edited by Rocky

Looking it up it seems like it ought to mount and autofocus on a Canon body, had it been Nikon it would of been a whole other can of worms.

It's an older design though (Sigma did 2 170-500mm lenses, one APO Aspherical and one APO DG...more or less same design but the DG had updated coatings on the elements) and won't have any form of optical stabilization. Will make it a handful to shoot handheld, bit lighter than my lens but at 1.3kg it's still a big lump of glass & plastic/metal to haul around and shoot. But from a tripod that's a moot point.

Bit of a disclaimer, never used anything but a Sony camera so got no hands on familiarity with the D3300 and that Sigma.

Time to break my gear out for a little walk here, hopefully find my favorite little subject again...Azure Kingfishers.

Got this shot around a month ago and keep on going back to the same reserve with the hope that it will allow me to get this close again.

DSC02988_zpsyqdys2bd.jpg

• Like 1

No luck with my little friend, been taking shots of the above bird and it's offspring for over a year now but today he/she was nowhere to be found. Instead had a very relaxing time hunting some local Welcome Swallows, if you want to test your reflexes it's a worthy challenge!

DSC04777_zpsdc2rg7h2.jpg

DSC04753_zpsqovmputs.jpg

• Like 1

This is insane zoom. I thought it was fake until I googled.

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

Nikon P900, 28-2000mm equivalent focal length lens and some digital zoom can indeed work wonders but comes with it's can of worms.

It's a 4.3-357mm lens that "gains" that range through crop factor as it has an itty bitty little sensor and it's also a relatively slow lens so you would be hard pushed shooting darker scenes.

Plus it's CDAF focusing so it's prone to hunting back and forth to gain a lock as opposed to PDAF in a DSLR that generally locks first try.