Ghost Recon.net Forums
Papa6

Photo Corner

White objects on dark background is always a challenge. Metering is often wrong and exposure is quickly overexposed. Spot metering would fix that but sometimes it's easy to forget to use it. Sun didn't help either in this situation :thumbsup:

@Alex: closing down aperture wouldn't do nothing here because aperture only controls depth of field(DOF). Taking shot at f2.8 or f8 would be exactly the same in case of exposure because camera would adjust exposere itself. The only difference would be DOF. In case of f2.8, DOF would be shallow and object would be more isolated from background. Using aperture of f8 would bring more DOF so more background that is not blurred.

The problem here is metering. If you meter on all meter points in your viewfinder(matrix metering), the camera will calculate average of all points, make compromise and try to expose so whole image will be exposed properly. If you meter only from one point only(spot metering), camera will know exactly what you want properly exposed and will adjust exposure based on metering only from that point.

Edited by Zeko

aah right, i see, i thought closing the aperature would allow less light into the camera, so i read.

like i said, still learning, so thank you for giving me that lovely info :)

aah right, i see, i thought closing the aperature would allow less light into the camera, so i read.

It does but same does the shutter speed and ISO :thumbsup:

All three things decide how much light will fall on sensor but all three has it's "special" function. You need to read more how all three work together. Here is a very good and handy camera simulator where you can try different settings such as fast shutter speed to freeze action or if using high aperture of f11 to f22 you will see how much scene you can get into focus and other stuff.

http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator/

Alex it's time you get out of that AutoPicture mode on your K-r and start using semi-manual/manual modes on your dslr and with practice you will learn the true power of dslr over point-and-shoot cam ;)

No hard feelings :)

thanks for the camera sim link, it's proving pretty good at the moment.

and i've never actually used auto mode on my K-r i've always been using full manual or aperature priority. just trying to kget used to it, at worst i've used the HDR night scene mode but i was only playing around. :thumbsup:

and of course, no hard feelings gotta learn some day.

Shot earlier thisevening

Halfmoon3101II.jpg

should I warn your neighbor that you have this capability :shifty:

Hammer, may I have that as desktop? do you have them in 1900x1200? thanks :thumbsup:

Hammer, may I have that as desktop? do you have them in 1900x1200? thanks :thumbsup:

yes i should be able to do that for you, im in work at the mo so i will have a look when i get home :thumbsup:

Tonights image

Moon010212.jpg

as soon as i find somewere to upload them i will send you a link Led :thumbsup:

Moon Pic

:thumbsup:

Canon 400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM + 1 1/4 x converter and a very meaty tripod

Edited by Hammer

and to nights image,

Moon020212.jpg

A little bit more colour in it tonight :thumbsup:

Just noticed the blotching in the sky ###### must be from the compresion on photobucket?

its not on the others ? i will attend to it later and post again

Pic Replaced

Edited by Hammer

me likey! i need a bigger lens XD

i did this onelast night, it was a clear sky so why not.

the slow shutter over exposure was deliberate:

IMGP3114.jpg

aand this one was just a mess around with the toy camera filter :P

IMGP2747.jpg

comments welcomed :)

I like the 1st one Alex :thumbsup: although you may wish to zoom into the sky more or move to an area with no street lights , that will get rid of the light polution from the bottom of the frame an make the stars stand out more .

To nights pic, taken a bit later than the others

Moon030212II.jpg

thanks for the criticism, much appreciated, i was planning to do a late night shot over the sea where there are no lights, might be a better area to do the night shots, as when i zoom in the focus goes a bit :wacko: and i can't find which way the infinite focus is XD

Good night sky with Orion in it Zee, just needs framing/cropped to sort out the bottom left. Really like the tap one, perfect angle on that to capture the sign and the character of the room.

And tonights shot comes to you from, between the snow falls less than 15mins ago

Moon040212.jpg

As i mentioned before the fuller it gets the less detail stands out, It didnt help to night as there is a thin sheet of cloud. Im hoping its gonna be clear tommorow as i want to experiment with some filters ive picked up .

Good night sky with Orion in it Zee, just needs framing/cropped to sort out the bottom left. Really like the tap one, perfect angle on that to capture the sign and the character of the room.

thanks rocky :) i'll get down to some crip cropping some time today got some others to do as well so i might as well crop that one :) and thanks for the tap comment too :thumbsup:

This one i did this morning, i didn't realise we had webs on our washing line XD

IMGP3236.jpg

aand a random rusty lock :P

IMGP3246.jpg

Felt like trying Lens Reversal as well, works alright, still got to work out how to do it properly and make sure i don't move the damned lens :P

IMGP3245.jpg

Critiques are always welcomed :)

Edited by Zeealex

Stumbled on this rummaging around in my files which was taken 3 years ago. This Passion Fruit vine was growing wild in a fence row on our place.

PassionFruit.jpg

@ Alex- I love the pearl web nice :wub:

@ wombat- Thats a wierd looking flower nice pic :thumbsup:

Well to night i finally got a clear sky and a full ( well very nearlly) moon So i wacked on a polarising fillter which seemed to cut down on a lot of the glair and lift a bit more detail.

Moon080212.jpg

This afternoon i have been messing around with water :)

Splash08.jpg

Splash09.jpg

Splash05.jpg

Splash00.jpg

The Blue colour is a result of switch the white balance to Tungsten for effect