Photo Corner

Papa6

Thanks Rocky and alex :thumbsup:

And i didnt need any expensive lens or equipment to do it

Just my 550D with its 18 -55mm lens set at 55mm 160th F6.5 on a tri pod Speed lite flash mounted on the camera set to 1/8th normal out put. An old paint tray full of water with white card attached to the back edge, which i bounced the flash off. A second tri pod standing over the water tray with a bag attached filled with water. ###### the bag with a pin and let the water start to drip, aline you lens, focus, and start clicking away. 150 shots later and i have @ 25 shots like the ones above, The hardest part is timing the shot as the drip hits the water.

PS its not my idea, there is a very good tutorial on Youtube by Gavin Heoy :thumbsup:

***edit*** just noticed net nanny does not like that word so Perce the bag in stead lol :rofl:

Edited by Hammer

Nice Hammer. :thumbsup:

I really like Gavin Hoey's channel on YouTube.

Thanks M8,, Yes there is some very good stuff on his channel, photographic and photosho.

I have only just found his channel so im going to spend the next few days going through it, Although i have watched the one on photogrphing smoke, so i have just ordered a remote wireless flash addapter :whistle:

Although i have watched the one on photogrphing smoke, so i have just ordered a remote wireless flash addapter

sounds like you'll be having fun with that hammer! :)

hopefully these look all right.

IMGP3444-1.jpg

this has been cropped. i think it was rather over zealous though.

i thought the eyes could do with some photoshopping to stand out more what do you think?

tried lens reversal again:

IMGP3615.jpg

IMGP3614.jpg

i have a standard shot of the very same daffodil lying around somewhere but my SDHC adapter doesn't like me today.

they will never be anything over hammer's droplet photos, but there we go no harm in posting.

critiques are welcomed :thumbsup:

I think your right about the cropping on the dog, I would have got down on the floor at the same level as the dog and tryed to capture his face, Try to distract him with a whistle or a squeky toy to get that alert, look.

As for the Daffs im not sure about reversed lens photogrphy, ive never tryed it , but the images are not bad, a little soft may be, For me they could have done with a few min,s in photo shop to bring out the water drops,

Hope you dont mind but i took the liberty to illistrate the point

IMGP3614a.jpg

But, remember "thats what i would do" it does'nt mean its right, we all have different tastes :thumbsup:

Edited by Hammer

yeah, i'm thankful you agree, i'll grab the original and take another look, fences don't look that attractive though :P that's why i cropped it.

I would have got in closer if she was my dog, but i don't think the owner would have appreciated me jumping the fence taking a photo of her and then randomly leaving.

you should try reversed lens photography, it gets really good close ups, you'll no doubt be better at it than me if you get the chance to try it. it takes a few shots at varying distances (you don't get a good view from the viewfinder) you pretty much always need the flash to get it right, and sometimes, like this one, they are a little soft and blurred.

don't worry about editing them, my work is free for edits if need be.

but i can see what you are getting at, i'll open up photoshop and give it a shot with High Pass.

thanks hammer :thumbsup:

@Zeealex: are you shooting with tripod? if so, see if you got a 3-10 sec timer. What it will do is, one stabilize your shot, so the edges will be sharper = not soft. Timer, it acts like a remote trigger, so no shaky hands/fingers trying to blame.

I did some freehand/no tripod over the weekend and my flowers are soft. I'll try to post it ASAP

@Hammer, repeating what everyone has said about your latest :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :

Edited by Cpl Ledanek

i do have a tripod, yes, but i chose not to carry it around with me for some stupid reason i'll remember it next time. i'll set it on the interval drive mode, as i don't have a 3 second timer only 2 and12 :blink: interval refocuses it though so if i need to i will. i'll have to get a reversed lens mount as well.

thanks for the advice Ledanek :thumbsup:

That dog scared me. Looks like it wants to chew my guts out or something. No offense though Alex, my dog attacks me sometimes.

rofl.gif I love how I keep posting some random statement in between photos and everyone just ignores me. I'll post a picture up so I won't look so stupid anymore.

Edited by rileyfletcher_01

Nice Hammer. :thumbsup:

I really like Gavin Hoey's channel on YouTube.

Thanks M8,, Yes there is some very good stuff on his channel, photographic and photosho.

I have only just found his channel so im going to spend the next few days going through it, Although i have watched the one on photogrphing smoke, so i have just ordered a remote wireless flash addapter :whistle:

Well had a 1st crack at this tonight

SmokeII005.jpg

SmokeII003.jpg

SmokeII001.jpg

Smoke001.jpg

and one inverted just for fun

Smoke003Invert.jpg

Wow!! :blink: brill as ever :)

this one was a cheap shot they were moving very fast and i was caught off guard with the camera on manual focus, so the image isnt as sharp as desired.

birdies.jpg

got some of a high altitude plane as well, i was surprised at the 100% zoom picture i was expecting a little blur like with my Kodak but its actually quite well defined. just cropping them up.

I decided today to do a bit of close up stuff again, and was hunting round the shed when i found my old fish tank and some coloured glass stones :hmm: So the plan, drope stones into water in fish tank, have camera set at water level, capture result, Sounds good

So here is my set up

Dropsetup.jpg

Flash above the water, with a white plate below to add bouns light, A white card to the rear of the tank, angled to catch a bit of the flash, hopfully to give a nice whit background.

Camera was tripod mounted and pre-focused on the drop zones, I made a few test drops from flash hight then held a pen in the water were the stones hit and focused on that. I switched to manual focus set the shutter speed to 160th at F10 set the the remote flash trigger and turned the shutter to remote trigger too. and off we go

The results

Drop005.jpg

Drop004.jpg

Drop003.jpg

Drop002.jpg

Drop001.jpg

Well 150 shots later and these are about all the usable ones i have :wall:

Its very hard to time the shutter and the impact.. there is a slight delay in the remote trigger and its not the same every time. You also have to whip and splashes of the inside of the glass after every drop, as the stand out a mile as there no in focus.

Looking at the pictures, if i try it agian i may use a second flash to light the back ground. I also thing i would get a better hit rate if i dont remote trigger the shutter and do it manually.

Edited by Hammer

That is very cool and I have not seen anything exactly like it.

When you spoke of the setup then said "The result"

I half expected the first stone would hit the water then the bottom of the glass tank and the result would be

a broken fish tank.

Glad it didn't turn out that way.

That is very cool and I have not seen anything exactly like it.

When you spoke of the setup then said "The result"

I half expected the first stone would hit the water then the bottom of the glass tank and the result would be

a broken fish tank.

Glad it didn't turn out that way.

:rofl: That was my thought as i droped the 1st stone so what you dont see in the photos is sponge cloth laying in the bottom of the tank .