Photo Corner

Papa6

101_1555.jpg

i'm sorry but this shark was a beauty.

and yes i am a fish lover and an antifishytarian (i don't eat fish, and i spelt with a y because the censor doesnt allow i) :D

oh could someone please tell me why my photos always turn out a bit poop? they are all noisy most of them :huh:

101_1475.jpg

101_1568.jpg

101_1567.jpg

Edited by Zeealex

yeah, they are the ones that turned out good :thumbsup:

101_1543.jpg

the white balance on this is terrible :o

101_1546.jpg

the camera refuses to focus

101_1565.jpg

the colours go crazy

101_1443.jpg

and because the Balantiocheilos melanopterus is such an active fish, my camera blurs.

there are the common problems i would like solving or reducing in size

i am constantly changing from macro to macro, and the flash is annoying, i get a good shot and the flash ruins it. even focusing the camera by holding the button in slightly fails

its an embarrasing 7 megapixel thing, bout 3 years old now

Edited by Zeealex

Well, unless you want to jump in the aquarium and get up close, the problem will be the glass between your camera and the fish. If your camera allows this, you'll have to disable auto exposure and auto focus, and then adjust manually.

What Camera are you using ?

a kodak easyshare C713. i know embarassing :blush:

and you are probably right there Apex :thumbsup: and the only thing stopping me from doing that is the camera there, because at blue planet you can actually take a dive with the sharks! :D definately doing that next time we decide to go

Edited by Zeealex

Some shots taken on my Olympus E330 Last year at the 1st round of the British Superbikes

23JohnSimpson600ccSuperstock.jpg

John Simpson 600cc super stock

21JamieDevine600ccSuperstock.jpg

Jamie Devine 600cc Super Stock

13ScotSart1000ccSuperstock.jpg

Scot sart 1000cc Super Bike

03EdSmith1000ccSuperstock.jpg

Ed Smith 1000cc Super Bike

:thumbsup:

@apex naah, it's just showing it's age now, i prefer this over any other camera i've used (apart from one of my friends DSLRs but that was professional equipment i can be arsed with) but, i suppose this one does the trick :D it IS a good little camera, but like i said, ageing and showing it.

@hammer's posts, hey they are pretty awesome.

101_1580.jpg

this one turned out okay when i got the right macro :D

Edited by Zeealex

Hehe yeah, it's the one behind the camera that makes picture ;)

Here's my smokin lemon. 8 second exposure shot with some effects. No fire was used at all. Fake smoke... :shifty:

Needs more work.

lemon_.jpg

Well for your camera i would change the mode to Sport, i would also try setting the ISO to 400. and try that with out the flash.

If you have a tank of your own try putting an extra light above the tank and also drap a black/dark coloured sheet over you and the front of the tank, this will cut down the reflections in the glass.

nice idea hammer! :thumbsup: sport mode barely works, still blurs on me, a couple of images i did were on sport mode.

yeah, i probably need a little patience, okay so which guru is going to tell me how to get great pictures on my old scrap? :lol:

Edited by Zeealex

Also set the picture quality to the max :unsure: you may need a bigger card if your gonna take lots of pics at full size.

All ways brace the camera against something solid to help eliminate camera shake, or invest in a small tri-pod, With my old compact i noticed you had to press quite hard to take the shot, which in low light levels added to the camera shake, i greatley reduced this by using a tripod and the self timer function to eliminate all shake.

Reading through the spec of your Camera i see it also has a musiem mode, This will set your camera to take shots with out the flash, this maybe worth a try aswell.

Above all take lots of shots and very your settings you may have 60 unusable shots but also you may have 3 or 4 gems in there too :thumbsup:

these pictures were taken using Hammer's advice :thumbsup:

right word of warning before i start, my small tank LOOKS unclean but it is actually because the natural gravel gets really dirty really fast, the tank was cleaned last week.

Fin Laden is a 6 month old Male Veiltail Betta Splenden, he is a playful fish but he is lazy and grumpy at times, i fell in love with him in the pet shop, even though the pet shop owner said bettas aren't very tolerant, he seems to get on well with my glowlight and neon tetras.

101_1681.jpg

101_1682.jpg

101_1690.jpg

this shows just how playful Fin Laden is, he is moving up to try and eat the stick at this point.

101_1702.jpg

don't worry it's food :P

101_1703.jpg

great shot here me thinks, as Glowlight tetras are fast moving fish and i got this fellow just as he was about to snap at his food.

Edited by Zeealex

Zeko, outstanding photo. The lighting and clarity are great. Good stuff.

Alex, best advice for a budding photographer: read. Anything and everything you can get your hands on. Macro is for extreme closeups, working at the shallow side of your lens's focus range. Lots of noise is caused by a high ISO, your camera is probably adjusting for low-light and no flash. And, as you've learned, glass and flashes don't mix.

Do a google search for a beginner's guide to photography. Heck, check this forum, there's lots of advice. Learn how cameras function. And don't forget to read up on composition tips also. There's plenty of information to be found if you go looking for it. :thumbsup:

Oh, I started on a Kodak Easyshare also. :)

I loved my Kodak Easyshare Z700. After it was stolen I bought a cheap Kodak Easyshare C813 in PINK so that it would be a deterrent to the thief. LOL I still have it and have taken a lot of pictures with it, but I know I could get better pictures with a bit better camera... and more knowledge on my part. :yes:

My first camera was a Canon Sureshot, which I still have and liked so much I bought my daughter one for $5! :santa:

Thx Ruin. That old 50mm 1.4 Nikkor makes sharp pictures. It's only manual focus but the more i use manual focus lenses, the more i like 'em. Right now i have 5 of them and only one AF.

Old glass FTW! :lol:

I've been meaning for years now to get a 50mm Nikkor lens. They're only like $100 to $200 (if memory serves) but I just never seem to get around to it. I did borrow a buddy's and shoot with it. It was nice. Not having the zoom as a crutch is really helpful for working on your composition.

I've been meaning for years now to get a 50mm Nikkor lens. They're only like $100 to $200 (if memory serves) but I just never seem to get around to it. I did borrow a buddy's and shoot with it. It was nice. Not having the zoom as a crutch is really helpful for working on your composition.

I got mine for around 130$ from ebay. That's AI version. AI-S version is even better if 3D and unique IQ is preference. Wide open is hard to focus if hand-held but stopped down to 2.8 really starts to shine.

Like You pointed out, with primes one really needs to think of framing and composition and use own legs for zoom :)