Photo Corner

Papa6

Durka, thanks. :) I was aiming for more of a "holy cow, look at all the craziness!" style photo. Just to show the business of ATL.

lol I try to not look at the traffic when I go through there. You got any photos of your tour?

Here's another one of my daughter I took last night. It's a good example of some creative lighting as well.

IMG_6219e.jpg

I love that photo. The symmetry of the outstretched throwing arms, the loose feet and flapping shirt adding to the movement, and the sheer joy in the face, awesome photo.

sq.jpg

Squirrel I photographed on a terrain of an old chemical plant which is being torn down for house building

got some nice photos of the plant too, hope to make a map of it someday.

I love this one too!

Firstly because I don't know how you managed to focus on the squirrel, and secondly, the expression is awesome and is crying out for a caption competion lol. Great shot.

Love that shot Papa, I can never seem to get those streaks in my landscape shots. I bet a little more contrast in the right places would really make that image pop.

Here's another one of my daughter I took last night. It's a good example of some creative lighting as well.

IMG_6219e.jpg

I love that photo. The symmetry of the outstretched throwing arms, the loose feet and flapping shirt adding to the movement, and the sheer joy in the face, awesome photo.

sq.jpg

Squirrel I photographed on a terrain of an old chemical plant which is being torn down for house building

got some nice photos of the plant too, hope to make a map of it someday.

I love this one too!

Firstly because I don't know how you managed to focus on the squirrel, and secondly, the expression is awesome and is crying out for a caption competion lol. Great shot.

well I carefully took a couple of shots, with this being the only one which didn't fail.

The Chemical plant has been left alone for 3 years, and its amazing to see how fast nature takes back the place. It was swarmed with wild pigs, dear, toads, ducks and some quite rare birds dunno their names in English.

I'm not much of and photografer, I just click a lot of times and hope some pics come out nice. Especially my kids are hard to track as they move too fast... guess I need a new camera someday with a bigger CCD chip so I can take shorter shutter times and capture the action without the movement. My best pictures are still with and old analogue NIKON but that's mostly due to their superb lenses.

Thanks DD, I have all the RAWS and can probably jack the contrast around in CS3.

If you haven't discovered the "clarity" slider yet in RAW, use it. It will work wonders to photos like that. (it increases the midtone contrast in a pic)

I'm not much of and photografer, I just click a lot of times and hope some pics come out nice

pssst! That's how a lot of pro photographers do it too, hehe.

Thanks DD, I have all the RAWS and can probably jack the contrast around in CS3.

If you haven't discovered the "clarity" slider yet in RAW, use it. It will work wonders to photos like that. (it increases the midtone contrast in a pic)

I'm not much of and photografer, I just click a lot of times and hope some pics come out nice

pssst! That's how a lot of pro photographers do it too, hehe.

one of the true benefits of going digital, in less than 2 years 5000 pictures... :rofl:

lol I try to not look at the traffic when I go through there. You got any photos of your tour?

My tour where? ATL? I've got a ton of pics. Iraq? Not been yet.

one of the true benefits of going digital, in less than 2 years 5000 pictures... :rofl:

Really? 1.5 years.... 6500+ pictures, and I spent 5 of those months at Ft. Knox with no camera. :) Lovin the 4GB memory card. And yes, I have kept every picture.

Don't think I've posted this one yet:

2350938304_bf25e1785d.jpg

Nice shot Ruin. It's a wonderful memorial, always hard to get pics of it without real people in the way. Oh, and I guess I ASSumed you had already been over.

Thanks Durka. Had to get that pic early on like a Tuesday AM. I walked down at about 0630 and took some other shots before I got to that memorial. Thankfully it was cold, early and a weekday. Best time to get pictures without people. :)

No worries, it happens. :) I'm headed out somewhere at the end of the year... don't worry, there will be plenty of pics.

My tour where? ATL? I've got a ton of pics. Iraq? Not been yet.

Really? 1.5 years.... 6500+ pictures, and I spent 5 of those months at Ft. Knox with no camera. :) Lovin the 4GB memory card. And yes, I have kept every picture.

Don't think I've posted this one yet:

2350938304_bf25e1785d.jpg

Nice shot of the Korean war memorial

Nice shot Papa. Looks pretty seamless to me as well. It's always hard to get those things perfect.

Here are a couple easy night shots I did.

Just set the camera at f3.5 and 30sec exposure at ISO1600 and pointed up...

Comet_3396.jpg

IMG_8055.jpg

Papa, great work. Try the Smithsonian Castle? I bet that'd make a great shot. With the big towers and such.

Durka, I like that idea. I might have to steal it on a nice clear summer night. :)

Harelip,

Great picture. I'm noticing some color issues in the upper left of the pic. I assume that's from your post-processing, not your camera... :o The sky is surreal, very neat. I'm not sure what you were aiming for as far as post-processing... a more artistic feel? Simple edits? But it feels, to me, a bit over-done. I think the sky would be much more dramatic without the post-processing. The colors in the wood are gorgeous though, the green from the chemical treatment in the wood is great. It's very distinct.

Again, a great image, maybe just a bit heavy in the post-processing. :) I see why she forced you to post!

Don't be afraid to post more. :D We're friendly, we just offer up some good C&C to help each-other grow.

Harelip,

Great picture. I'm noticing some color issues in the upper left of the pic. I assume that's from your post-processing, not your camera... :o The sky is surreal, very neat. I'm not sure what you were aiming for as far as post-processing... a more artistic feel? Simple edits? But it feels, to me, a bit over-done. I think the sky would be much more dramatic without the post-processing. The colors in the wood are gorgeous though, the green from the chemical treatment in the wood is great. It's very distinct.

I noticed it, too. It's a result of my over-doing the HDR. I'm usually in search of surreality and stark colors and contrasts. It's just me finding the "normal" world too mundane.

Ah, good to know it's not your gear, that could get expensive.

So then pictures like this are more your style? You definitely achieved surreal with the sky, good job. I'm curious to see what else you've got with similar effects.

My next shot was done today the 10th of April: sorry about the size. just a little off. :whistle:

img0176sv3.jpg

my final shot for the 10th of April: sorry if my dimensions are off. don't want to lose the quality of the shot.

moon01tk9.jpg

Edited by Papa6

Harelip, those pics are great! Streetview looks like it could be a model, not a real place. Very cool. That sunset is gorgeous, absolutely stunning. The sky in your lumber-mill shot is great. I'm still not sure how I feel about the angled picture though... :) That's just me. The tunnel is an interesting shot, I'd like to see you revisit it though. I feel like that while this pic is definitely a good one, there's another angle, or different perspective that would do better. Maybe try low, from the ground looking out and slightly up. Just an idea. :D

Great work. I'm curious, what's HDR. It's not something I'm familiar with (or maybe it is, and you call it something different). It seems to work well for you. Good work!

Papa, two great shots. I like the flower, very vibrant yellow. I think though, that if you're taking a top down approach with the bloom, make it fill the frame, really capture the color and detail of the flower (you can still keep the more immature bloom in the frame too, maybe in the corner). If you don't want to do that, then try it from a different perspective. :)

The moon is fantastic. Great detail, nice quality, I love it. A nice traditional picture of the moon.

Papa, I took the liberty. I really like that flower picture, I just did a quick re-frame using the same aspect-ratio. This is what I was envisioning. I thought seeing it might help you decide what you like better. :)

papaflowerhm8.th.jpg

Take it or leave it, up to you. :hehe: I like it better, but that's me. :)