One of Sony's biggest franchises returns

Hatchetforce

Looks like Seth will address the beta "soon" on the blog.

Throughout the comments on the blog he'll occassionally respond to a few of the comments and yesterday he had this to say when the beta question arose:

Seth Luisi

03.27.08 16:42 PM I know a lot of people want to know about the Beta. Perhaps the reason I have not yet answered those questions is due to the fact that there is an upcoming Blog post on just that subject .

More details from EGM

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p...p;postcount=794

-Its 10 pages long, with 15 new screenshots

GAMEPLAY

-You can roll or underhand a grenade with real physics

-You can lean your guy with the six-axis instead of the d-pad

-There is proximity chat

-Your clan can talk via open chat, but you can L2 to chat to everyone on your team. Or if you have proximity chat then you chat with who ever is around you.

-Audio has changed. Sounds around a corner sound muffled.

-There is now a run/sprint mode. You can run/sprint but you can’t shoot and your gun will not be accurate after running. So basically just use this too avoid snipers.

-Tilt with the six-axis can be tweaked for sensitivity

-There are exploding barrels and cars.

-View distance is big, so no more fog like SOCOM 2

-Smoke looks dark gray

-They talk about the 3rd person view. They said because the new widescreen TVs have a different ratio, there was too much space on each side of the classic view.

-"Sony's Seth Luisi says, "Because it was more centered towards 4:3 TVs, and now going to 16:9, we have a lot more area off to the sides."

-You can go up on roofs

GAME SETUP & INFO

-Crossroads is bigger than the original

-They are bringing back a new game mode. "Elimination" its like SOCOM 2, kill the whole other team or take a draw

-Crossroads (ps3) has an extra outer ring that the ps2 didn't have. There are two towers now.

-Confrontation is 32 players but you can make smaller maps for 16 players total.

-Improved clan support

-Ranked matches are automated. If you want to set up your own room with specifics (no grenades, etc) it won’t be ranked. This stops cheaters and rank ups.

-"You can no longer set up a match exactly defined to your team’s exact strengths and create a honeypot to raise your clan ranking. For your clan to have a global ranking you now have to be a rounded team with good strategies for dealing with all the maps. Now, you can build all the custom games you want - the room system is still there, which I know is really important to SOCOM fans. You can do all your clan tryouts and training in those rooms, and even playing within those games aggregates different stats, because we track a lot of information about the player. But it doesn't directly go into the global clan ladder." –Seth Luisi

-There will be 7 maps total at launch. All maps will be based in North Africa

-There is an underground map that has a collapse parttriggered by the enemy

-Clan support will be available on socom.com where the leader can change their clan, add players etc.

-There will be a party system so your clan will join the same game.

-The other map that is shown in the article is called URBAN WASTELAND it takes place around a high rise hotel, but it mentions you have access to just the first few stories. It has an underground tunnel network and has some bridges and stuff. There is a multileveled parking garage. This is the same one that was shown in previous screenshots released on the web.

MISC DETAILS

-They are planning on having a new headset for SOCOM.

-It also shows the online numbers of the SOCOM franchise aswell as 2 screenshots from SOCOM 1 & 2

-THERE WILL BE A CLOSED BETA. I think it said they will seekpeople out through SOCOM.com

-Closed beta going on "right now or May"

-Open beta after that.

Joe Rybicki, who is the author of the EGM article coming out, actually was nice enough to post up some clarifications on the socom boards regarding the details that were posted by the person HF qouted above. Here is what he said:

I wrote that article, so I thought I'd jump in to clarify a couple things before misconceptions start spreading. Most of that info looks about right, it's just that whoever transcribed it missed or misunderstood just a couple details.

First, chat: You use L2 to chat with your entire team, that's correct. But open chat is for your PARTY, not your clan. This means that anyone you've chosen to party up with (clan or not) will hear you when you speak without you having to hold down a button. Now, proximity chat is in addition to this. As I understand it, proximity chat is on all the time. What this means is that anyone within earshot in the game will hear you when you speak. That includes members of the opposite team. (Not sure if this applies when you're team-chatting via L2 -- perhaps in that case it can be like you're using a throat mic and staying quiet. This I am completely not certain of, however.) So, if you're in a party and want to chat via the open mike, you're going to have to be careful about what you say and how loudly you say it -- just like in real life. Personally I think it'll really raise the tension, but we'll see. I'm sure this will be one of those things that will be looked at closely in beta.

Over-the-shoulder cam: As David Seymour said on the PS Blog, there will absolutely, positively be the option to use the old SOCOM viewpoint.

There's no underground map that I'm aware of; there is, however, an underground segment of "Urban Wasteland" (not necessarily the final name BTW), with at least one tunnel that can be collapsed.

And finally, betas: My understanding is that the closed beta will be invite-only, specifically for the most valuable contributors to the new SOCOM.com -- then the open beta will be bigger, with more people. My GUESS is that there will be a first-come, first-served signup website or something. But that's only a GUESS.

Hope you guys all buy the mag to check out the article for yourselves.

Rock on,

-joe rybicki

I really like the innovative things they are putting into this game, but I know a lot of die hard socomers will not like the changes because they want to stick to the roots of the original, but if they are well implemented it could be a lot of fun, especially the mic set up.

I also like the sprint system now where if you want to run you can't shoot while doing it and your aim is a little off right after you stop, kinda sounds like advanced warfighter. This should hopefully add a little more stealth to the game on top of what is already a really team oriented and stealthy game.

Strange, now that I bought a PS3 I find more and more games that look interesting - I discovered how much fun it is to lay down lazy on the couch and just game on whilst doing so.

SOCOM looks to be a game I'll try as well. Keep the media coming.