CPU fan for AMD?

Rocky

Am I right in thinking that different processors require different fans. Might seem a strange question from someone who has built his own PC lol :hmm:

Anyway, a mate's PC is not booting up, it gives an error about the CPU fan. I looked in the case and it's hooked up okay and it spins on boot. The fan is a akasa ak-186-l2b, and it's a Lex BN791Pro AMD Motherboard.

I'm thinking the fan is the wrong type as he mentioned swapping the fan recently, and I can see the new fan has different coloured 3 wires coming out of it, compared to the old one.

Wrong fan? Point me to the right one?

Thanks.

You are right that cpu fans will only fit certain cpu's. I'm not a big expert in this, but I have been researching fans for the last couple of weeks so that I can get a better one for my am2 cpu. From what I can tell though, the only way you can judge if the fan will fit your cpu is to read the specs on it and it will generally tell you what socket cpu's the fan will fit.

It's can be frustrating though because I have seen some fans that say they work with am2 and someone down in the reviews will state it didn't work with their AM2 cpu. Do you know which fan he bought, and what socket cpu he has?

Blimey I thought they all just fitted, its all the same power socket on the motherboard isnt it? and as long as it fits on the heatsink it should work. Check in the bios to see what its got in the hardware checks on boot. Mine kept giving errors about the case fan not working till I turned it off, there are 3 fans in my case and they were all working fine, the motherboard just wasnt picking them up cos I'd not plugged them into the motherboard, check that the fan he's put in has been plugged into the right socket on the motherboard too, just in case.

Blimey I thought they all just fitted, its all the same power socket on the motherboard isnt it? and as long as it fits on the heatsink it should work. Check in the bios to see what its got in the hardware checks on boot. Mine kept giving errors about the case fan not working till I turned it off, there are 3 fans in my case and they were all working fine, the motherboard just wasnt picking them up cos I'd not plugged them into the motherboard, check that the fan he's put in has been plugged into the right socket on the motherboard too, just in case.

When I got to ebuyer to look at fans, they're all listed with which socket they are applicable for. For the motherboard I listed above, I can't figure out which fan to go for.

The fan that is inplace at the moment, is plugged into the mobo CPU fan socket (it's labelled) so I know it's in the right socket.

If I remove that and plug in the guys old broken fan (it spins but the blades are all chipped), there is no error. So there is something wrong with the fan that is in place now, and the only difference I can see between the old one and the new one is the colour of the wiring.

As it's spinning it might just be safe to disable the CPU fan check in the bios as you suggest, but I;d rather stick a new fan in there that I knew for sure was the correct one for that mobo/processor.

have you got a link to the ebuyer page you're looking at mate, the only place I can see where it says for a specific socket is where you buy a heatsink and fan together, like on this page at overclockers

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist....7&subid=821

but if you look on the left you can buy any fan in any size, i've got this one stuck on my heatsink

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....57&subcat=4

I see what you mean, infact that fan is the same model number as the one that's in apart from this one is a "186" instead of that one which is a 183. I wonder what the difference is.

If a fan is just a fan, and I'm just being thrown by the different wiring colours, then I guess it's maybe just a faulty fan, or the cpu fan socket on the mobo is faulty.

I guess trying a new fan is the first step in finding out.

Thanks for the advice.

Did you put new heatsink grease on it or remove the old from the processor before applying. I have seen old Heat sink grease baked on to the point that heat could not transfer from the processor to the sink. Check your mainboard temps in the bios. Also there are usually multiple fan hook ups on the mainboard. It's possible he plugged the cpu into a chassis fan. Seeing no fan plugged into the correct one will throw the error.

I don't think he put a new HS on, he just screwed a new fan on top of the ex. HS. It's def. in the right mobo socket cause as I said, the socket is marked as CPU Fan.

If you go to the akasa site it does say that its a 3pin socket with one wire monitoring the rpm of the fan, maybe the wire's broken or not connecting properly

http://www.akasa.co.uk/akasa_english/spec_..._ak_186_l2b.htm

Yeh, that's probably what it is, I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow. Tx.

the guys old broken fan (it spins but the blades are all chipped), there is no error.

Take the actual fan off the new one, and use it to replace the broken part of the old one... :unsure:

I would assume you could pop the blades off the motor and then simply replace them, maybe use some kind of glue to keep it attached... but it seems like a two cent fix. Worth a shot... Especially if you can take two FUBARed fans and make one that works.