Ruin's PC Build

Ruin

Hahaha, thanks CPL. The second link was quite an impressive build. Crazy-ness! The first link... interesting cases. Pricey, and very big. I'm not a fan of the cube cases. They were cool a few years ago before everyone and their brother had one. Eh.

The reason I like the Koolance case, is because it has the pump/res/rad all built in to the top of the case, leaving me room to have cleaner wiring/hosing and less work for me trying to figure out where to mount stuff.

After doing the math, and comparing a full system with my Armor case, and the built in Exos on the Lain Li case, the price was only a $50 difference. Not bad for getting a far superior case (notice the room in the bottom for a future second loop... like say for a GPU?), and a self-contained WC system requiring that I only run the hose and hook up the blocks. Wow, it's amazing what you can learn in a day with some dedicated reading! If only I could do this with mechanics.... hmmn.

I'm still working on the styling of my PC. The main parts are done, unless someone walks in and is like "Woah woah woah woah... woah... Ruin... You ######ed up."

Another good build. Very nice. The same guys did one based on a Mercedes that was sweet. I'm sure they've got lots of practice (and $$).

I like the CM Stacker. I don't like that I have to pay an extra $35 for a side-panel window... but, whatever. I'll probably take the side-panel that comes with it, and look into making my own design with acrylic. Need to give that jig-saw some use - would just need to come up with a design.

Anyway, I think I'm finally shaping up my build too. Did a color change. No longer blue. Had to change lights, took out the UV, changed the PSU (the old Hiper was blue, I got the black one), changed fans etc etc. I'm liking it. Hehe, part of my reason for changing it was how bright blue light is at night. I picked a much less offensive night-time color... :lol:

Seeing as Performance-PCs.com doesn't have a wish-list for me to save... I'll list the parts here. Mainly for my reference for... tomorrow! But, for you all to oogle over also. :hehe: I'll probably be placing orders tomorrow for my PC, WC system (and some goodies for my camera) tomorrow out of the house, so I don't want to forget what parts I've chosen, hah! I love NewEgg's Saved Wishlist feature. Too cool.

Anyway:

Swiftech Apogee GT Extreme CPU Block - Don't let the name fool you, it's not as expensive as it sounds.

Swiftech MCW60 GPU Block

Swiftech MCW30 NB Block

Swiftech MCR220 Quiet Power Series Dual 120mm Radiator

Swiftech MCP355 Pump

Swiftech MCRES-Micro Reservoir

Clamps

Tygon Tubing

Fluid-XP Coolant

CM Stacker Side Panel

No, there's no particular reason I chose allSwiftech stuff. I've heard good things about the products, but bottom line: WC is hot... I mean popular. Finding one website with all the parts I need in-stock is very hard. Given this is my first WC setup and I'm on some sort of budget, I was looking for good moderately priced products. Performance-PCs.com had all the parts and blocks I needed, along with a new side panel for my case. Also, for aesthetics I decided to stick with the same brand, so everything looked about the same. Swiftech also offered those very cool nifty little pumps, not the fish-tank looking ones everyone uses. Bleh.

This is going to be a lot of fun. I'm pretty pumped. Assuming all goes well, I expect to have everything at my door no later than Wednesday March 5th. I'll probably spend all evening working on it getting it going. It'll also give me a chance to try out my new camera gear (new lens and flash headed my way, oh yeah!).

Hahahah, no ferris wheel... and to the dismay of my girlfriend - who threatens to make it her personal mission to save the world's supply of feeder-fish through gifting them to me - no guppies either.

Dig the blog for a full parts list. I'm too lazy to post it here, plus it's an exclusive for the 3 of you still reading this thread. :hehe:

Order Placed!

Thanks everyone for all your help! I anticipate some parts to start rolling in on Monday, with everything here no later than Wednesday. Naturally, I'll keep you posted.

Full Parts List is in the Blog.

Don't forget pictures of the build!

:yes: And have fun doing it!

Ahh the fun begins already. My PC build triggered the "ID Theft/Fraud" countermeasures of my bank. Took a few hours to figure out what happened. Called the bank, they asked if I authorized the purchase from NewEgg. Well, at least I know my money is safe. As of right now, NewEgg is still showing me at "Step 3" - the step before packaging and shipping. I hope it'll all mail out today, if not, none will mail until Monday, which means a likely arrival date of Wednesday or Thursday. My cooling system from Performance-PCs.com is already in the mail (have a UPS tracking number already - good stuff) and I think my camera parts should be shipped also.

I'll keep a good long, detailed worklog for you all, don't worry... and you know I'm going to have fun with it.

teh w0ot! Everything shipped out from NewEgg last night. Everything is ETA for 4 Mar or 5 Mar. Which means my wednesday build should go as planned. I figure my cooling stuff will be here Monday, and my camera gear is MIA. Got a very cryptic message from some guy from TriStateCamera, but they closed at 1330 on Friday and are closed on Saturday, but are open on Sunday.... ? :unsure: Whatever, I'm not in a rush for them, but it would be nice to have for when I build to take some really pretty pics! :)

I'm drafting my worklog too, I've got a decent chunk done, but there's more to do.

Roco... in hindsight, it's effin hysterical. Yesterday, I was about take a sledge hammer to someone's car. They wouldn't have liked it. Talk about stereotypical fraud alert though.... "Hmmn, someone is spending a butt load of money on PC stuff from an online retailer... this looks phishy!"

The first batch of boxes came from that big Brown Van today. Very very cool. I've got everything I need except the case and PSU. All my stuff looks great, I'm really excited - I'm LOVING this new monitor, even on this POS HP I'm using. The Razer mouse... WAY too cool. Sharp, precise, wow... Looks cool as hell too. I've got some pictures, but I'm waiting for everything to be done before I start posting them - that and this PC is such a POS that it can't handle that many 10.2MP pictures without going ape ######. So, I'll add them once the new machine is up and running.

Tomorrow I get the last of the gear, including the new lens for my camera, and I'll set off building and cleaning the water-cooling stuff to hopefully fire her up for the first time sometime tomorrow evening.

WOOOHOOO! I love this thing!

I've got her up and going. Got Vista Ultimate installed in about 20 minutes, it's crazy! Bazing fast... wow! I'm so happy.

I'll start a work-log thread in the next day or so. Got some pictures along the way, but not many mainly because I'm so embarassed to show my wiring... eww. I have a nice kit from Performance PCs in the mail, along with passive cooling for my GTX.

All drivers are installed for Vista right now... installing my 4 games, and will be installing XP later on.

Oh... first try with the watercooling... no leaks. Silent. The only noise my PC is making is from my Apevia LED fan. Which I'm going to replace with one of these Scythe fans for complete silence. I've got 5 fans going right now (4x 120mm and 1x80mm) and can only hear the one fan. Cool! Plumbing the WC was a breeze... mounting is temporary.

Got some pictures along the way, but not many mainly because I'm so embarassed to show my wiring... eww.

BOOOOO!!!! Before and After pics!!!!!! :rofl:

The only noise my PC is making is from my Apevia LED fan. Which I'm going to replace with one of these Scythe fans for complete silence. I've got 5 fans going right now (4x 120mm and 1x80mm) and can only hear the one fan. Cool!

Pictures or goes with Bigfoot and Lochness monster!!! :whistle:

try this Fan Roundup for educated selection and hard to beat prices on Yate Loons

Take lots of pics so its easy for us to follow along-the-dotted line instructions on watercooling. Then we'll break someone's knees if they turn it into a sticky post next to WK77 PC building sticky thread :devil:

:D

I've got some pics, don't worry. I didn't do a step-by-step of the WC setup because I was just kinda winging it... so I just let it go. It's painfully easy. Once you mount everything where it needs to go, it takes about 10 minutes to plumb it, fill it, and leak-test it.

I'm loving my Scythe fans, I was told they're quiet, but WOW! Silent.