Ghost Recon.net Forums

HP Blackbird 002 Gaming System

Off topic

@Cpl Ledanek:

As a goof I priced out (sourced) the parts of the top end ($8300) of the murderbox offering, and even assuming a tricked out & bullet-proof $1000 plumbing system (for lack of info), can only come to the conclusion that that is one very, very, very expensive chassis to add parts to.

They either have no shame or they are marketing strictly for the blissfully ignorant and idle rich. :shifty:

Off Topic

@NoQuarter, I did one too...it was $7000+ :rofl:

Nice thing is for every one charles_h, there is a minion of others trying to duplicate, and they seem genuine in sharing their skills...funny thing, if, if I was to do that...the only thing I have a problem is the case...dunno why I have no problem dreaming+paying for the other parts...except the case <_<

Nice case don't get me wrong...its just that there are CoolerMaster TC100, Cosmos, Rocketfish, Stackers that seems more appropriate price-wise.

Something about Silverstones and Lian-Li's prices that I can't seem to reconcile to pay for. <_<

weird huh?

glad dreaming is still free :rofl:

• 6 months later...

It looks like HP are going through the birds. Eighteen months after the launch of the Blackbird 002 and now this;

HP Firebird

Not they call it a 'hybrid'. It uses laptop hard drives to save space and even a custom board, so it can't be that upgradeable. Doesn't look as though there's a lot of air flow in there although they use liquid cooling.

DS

It looks like HP are going through the birds. Eighteen months after the launch of the Blackbird 002 and now this;

HP Firebird

Not they call it a 'hybrid'. It uses laptop hard drives to save space and even a custom board, so it can't be that upgradeable. Doesn't look as though there's a lot of air flow in there although they use liquid cooling.

DS

Hey DS,

VoodooDan from HP here. I noticed that you expressed some concerns about the airflow of the HP Firebird, and I thought I might be able to help.

There air flow system is much like the Blackbirds - it pulls in from the bottom and exhausts out the top. However, the components in the Firebird are much lower power. The FB pulls about 160 watts when gaming, which generates far less than other gaming systems. It idles at 80watts – 55 on power save in our testing. Furthermore, we’ve removed the power supply from inside the box, so the heat actually doesn’t need to be dissipated. All of this means Firebird generates much less heat than Blackbird.

In my tests, under full CPU/GPU load, temps maxed out at approximately 67c for the CPU and barely broke 62c. The system cools both GPUs, the CPU, and the chip set and it purred along without any problems. By liquid cooling key components, the fans are mainly to cool the liquid in the radiator.

The internals of the system are clean and efficient (no clutter) with nothing inhibiting air flow.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Furthermore, we’ve removed the power supply from inside the box, so the heat actually doesn’t need to be dissipated. All of this means Firebird generates much less heat than Blackbird.
That's a good idea I have to say. It's a nice off the shelf PC but not a gaming rig like the Blackbird. Is it still possible to buy Blackbird components from HP eg. case, water cooling etc.?

As it's your first post in here and considering where you're from, it would be great if you can post regularly on here. GR.net has a top class group of people, from all different backgrounds.

DS