Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stev0

Great Idea MAPS for Snipers ? Sniper Maps

Hi guys im new to this forum i was just wondering how good ghost recon advanced warfighter 2 would be if they had a big list for sniper ,,lets say huge enviroments in a built up citys or in open enviroments like miles of mountain sides and terrain plennty foolage,tree,s plennty built landscapes,has anyone else thought of this,plus can it be done in Deathmatch mode would like to hear more on the subject and mabey the futer is bright GRAW2

GRAW 2 draw distance is limited to 150 meters. No point having a map bigger than that.

TRUE NICELY THOUGHT OUT

Is there a way it,s distance can be changed ,most old army games like D.F.B.H.D, DELTA FORCE editors allowed me to change terrain aswell as the enviroment and it worked a treat but they days are gone, i,d love to see the same editing aspect in here to, but thx for you input hope we here more and come up with more great idea,s on this subject

You can create a mod that increases the draw distance. I believe some people have done so. But then you have the problem of distributing the mod, and then only the top-end computers will be able to run it.

I remember frequently getting sniped from 1,500 meters in BHD. I was an easy target for those 20 point bonuses.

GRAW 2 draw distance is limited to 150 meters. No point having a map bigger than that.

I guess I could look into how big the current maps are and for fun try and up some of the distances for MP (as I don't intend to mess with the AI).

When time permits... and if I find it is possible outside the engine files. ;)

No promises for now.

I guess I could look into how big the current maps are and for fun try and up some of the distances for MP (as I don't intend to mess with the AI).

When time permits... and if I find it is possible outside the engine files. ;)

No promises for now.

Great to hear, I hope you come up with somthing good m8, i have no experience on games as in editor for GRAW2, but for snipers map, ,if you know of a person who likes to build tell them about it ,,how big can uyou really make the maps and a mod for sniper rifles lo,, had to get that in there, yea nice nice to hear your thinkin about it, all we can do is wait for more reply,s to this post

Did some tests today and made a kill over 200m at least... :P
Standard draw distance, or did you mod it out farther? I also read here somewhere that the bullets "disappeared" after 150m so the server didn't have to track them (MP side). Edited by Cangaroo.TNT

I also read here somewhere that the bullets "disappeared" after 150m so the server didn't have to track them (MP side).

They do both in MP and SP. But I have access to the source files and it's easily fixed. ;)

This little project will increase the system requirements some though as I have to make all props and stuff stay as well.

TRUE NICELY THOUGHT OUT
No. And no it was not...while there are a number of weak spots ingame, having bots or Panhards "land" on top of you during a FF or a target magically clip into view within the space of a footstep are two of the worst of them.

Limiting map size (or engagement range) due to inefficient game code or resource hogging AI brain logic is not an answer, it's more like a concession, and one that should not be encouraged, or accepted.

I also read here somewhere that the bullets "disappeared" after 150m so the server didn't have to track them (MP side).

They do both in MP and SP. But I have access to the source files and it's easily fixed. ;)

This little project will increase the system requirements some though as I have to make all props and stuff stay as well.

How much of a performance difference is it approximately? Is it possible to add a 4th LOD that's even lower soften the performance hit for lower end systems?

How much of a performance difference is it approximately?

Don't know yet. But it's something I want to test.

If I release something servers/users will have to decide themselves if they want to use it. But players will have to use it to play on servers running it as it's going to have to be a mod bundle.

Is it possible to add a 4th LOD that's even lower soften the performance hit for lower end systems?

Possible. But then I'd have to adjust and reexport all diesels and I'm not taking it that far. Props actually don't have a lod in most cases, as they are removed depending on size through the mass system.

Characters already have 4 lod steps, so they shouldn't make as much difference as the props.

Oh, and I won't push everything up to 300m. I'll duplicate the original clipping range for all types of props but if that goes higher then 300m, I'll clamp them down to 300m. Units that originally had higher range then the standard 150m will of course stay the way they are unless they where set between 150 and 300m, in which case they are boosted to 300m as per the logics in the beginning of the post. :ph34r: Did I loose everyone there? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, looks like it's working quite good. The z-buffer flips out a little at over 150-160m ranges and that gives some flickering between the building and the "black" occluder mesh especially in the scoped views, but other then that it works.

Except the mp are you make it for sp too.

I can't stand at coop snipers shoot me and can't see them :-(

It will affect SP as much as MP. But I won't adjust the AI, so they won't see longer then 150 meters no matter what.

Except the mp are you make it for sp too.

I can't stand at coop snipers shoot me and can't see them :-(

It will affect SP as much as MP. But I won't adjust the AI, so they won't see longer then 150 meters no matter what.

Interesting stuff wolf. Thanks for taking the time to test this out. Snipers only maps can definately be fun in MP if done right.

Yea .50 Cals for everybody. *Sigh* I'd like to see one of these whiney snivelling 14 year olds take a .50 out to the range, stand up with 30-40 pounds of combat gear on and then let out 10 or 12 shots without falling over.

I'm 6"1, 240 Pounds and without my Combat gear on I almost threw out my shoulder.