Ghost Recon.net Forums

I was taking a break from reading "A Streetcar Named Desire" for my Intro to Theatre class and decided to reinstall and play some MOH Airborne. After a while the game froze and red blocks appeared across the screen, much like a checker pattern. The weird thing was that while the image was frozen with a red checker pattern over it, the sound was still going on like I was still playing. It wasn't the repeating sound either, like what usually happens if a game crashes. I was parachuting down when it happened, and while the screen was frozen with me looking down I could hear the Germans start shooting at me.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete didn't work, nor did Alt-Tab, or the Windows button. I had to do a hard reboot. I played a second time and it did the same, but in a different area. I thought the graphics card might be overheating -- does anyone else think so?

So far it's only happened with MOH. Other graphics intensive games, like UT3 (also using UE3), Crysis, and Company of Heroes, haven't had problems.

I have the latest nvidia beta drivers for xp 32-bit, which are 169.28 if I remember correctly.

I don't think it's a vsync problem, especially if it freezes the screen with a red checkerboard pattern. Thanks for your input. I may try to play some more to see if it still happens.

I'm using the EVGA 8800GT Superclocked, and it's not really a big overclock. It's been fairly stable since I got the card. Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind. I'm still having problems with MOH, though.

Edit: Just curious, but would increasing the fan speed on the video card decrease the longevity of the card in any way?

Edited by GrimeyAK