Ghost Recon.net Forums
Cpl Ledanek

How Are You Doing With Your Upgrades?

just curious on how ppl are doing their upgrades :pokerface:

are you going Core 2 Dou or doing the AM2 thing?

:ermm:

I'm curious coz I'm a bit on a cross road on DDR2. I see newegg got all these DDR2 at low price, but when you dont have the system to test it on, how do you know its working? :lightning:

I'm still at ripping my Stacker 830 apart, don't know if I'll powder paint or do it myself since its in the inside which will get covered by 3 side door fans anyways...I can't stand the aluminum finish for some reason. <_<

I want flat/matte black but if I can swing the powder coating, might as well paint it red...looks nice inside a black exterior case. :hippi:

I got a WD Caviar HD already and resuing my Silverstone ST60F modular PSU, reusing an old DVD drive from a previous build...hell I might even just use an external dvd burner to keep the face/front clean.

I'll probably buy the 8800 GTX when Crysis is less than $20---quick what year would that be :rofl:

So back on the memory module dilema, so it seems the last big/major purchase would be the mobo/cpu/memory combo. The psu works, the dvd-rom works, the case+fan works, so I just need the innards.

I'm still debating about the soundcard...I just move my Audigy 2Z to the newest upgrade. Xfi thing I haven't research much. :hmm:

so tell us, how are you doing with your upgrade :popcorn:

I wish I was doing anything with my upgrade ;)

That said, I would like to (in the next couple of months) move up to an X-Fi Elite, from my Audigy ZS 2, and get better speakers.

That is about it, looks like I will be rocking my 4200 X2 and 7900GTX combo for the next year or so.

My upgrade plans are in suspension until the next range of graphics cards come out. I get the feeling Nvidia are just about done with the 8800 series so I'll hang off and either get from the new range, or benefit from the resulting 8800 price drop.

Definately going quad core processor when I do upgrade though.

Word on the street (AKA the internet) is that the next range of Nvidia graphics cards, which will be of the 9800 variety will be out around February-ish. Of course that isn't confirmed just a rumor.

Recently upgraded to a AM2 system with 2GB DDR2 800 RAM and a X2 6400+. Only reasons I went AMD instead of Intel was 1) cheaper and 2) AMDs quad cores are compatible with the motherboard I got so it'll be easy enough to upgrade once they come out with a higher end quad (and then the 6400+ will go to my brother).

Recently upgraded to a AM2 system with 2GB DDR2 800 RAM and a X2 6400+. Only reasons I went AMD instead of Intel was 1) cheaper and 2) AMDs quad cores are compatible with the motherboard I got so it'll be easy enough to upgrade once they come out with a higher end quad (and then the 6400+ will go to my brother).

which mobo did you get?

Recently upgraded to a AM2 system with 2GB DDR2 800 RAM and a X2 6400+

Me too, except mine had the basic 667Mhz RAM. And I swapped out the default PSU for a 700W modular PSU to power my 8800GTX & SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty. I also swapped out the default 667Mhz basic RAM sticks for 800Mhz 2GB (2x1GB) Crucial Ballistix RAM. I am planning 2x512 RAM sticks too.

which mobo did you get?

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition that recently had a bios upgrade to work with Phenom. Not as good as an AM2+ board (which would have worked fine with my current CPU) but I don't intend on getting a quad-core for a while yet either.

which mobo did you get?

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition that recently had a bios upgrade to work with Phenom. Not as good as an AM2+ board (which would have worked fine with my current CPU) but I don't intend on getting a quad-core for a while yet either.

oooohhhh...I wanted that board if I was going to make a media center...I'm jealous.... :(

so I was inquiring about powder coating these parts of a Stacker 830:

906019876itcofhvvp3.th.jpg

and the painter said $75...does that sound about right? :unsure:

I'm thinking of copying the paint scheme of this Stacker

wrecker_1990.jpg

Yes, but you can spend less and get a better card, like the Radeon 3870 for $250

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102713

OR a 8800GT for $295

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814122046

OR a 8800GTS based off of the G92 chip for $330

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143119

All of these perform better overall than the old 8800GTS 640MB and are cheaper. Price/performance wise, if I were to buy a new GPU right now I'd go with the ATI/AMD 3870, but if you're willing to spend the amount shown for that 8800GTS 640, go with the 8800GTS based off the G92 chip. It's faster overall than a 8800GTX :)

just a crazy idea:

what if I use those casewraps over my mobo tray vs painting the mobo tray?

never seen it done before. its vinyl, its not conductive, less chance shortening my mobo.

if I don't like it, I can easily peel it off.

its crazy right? :unsure:

updates: some ghettoness

just a funny revelations I had:

so I got the Abit IP35PRO on top of static bag/on top of retail box and I'm running this whole set up with the white KB by the wall or hanging off the desk and the mouse on top of the Linksys box aka mouse pad, and I'm viewing all this on my 19" on the floor...so I'm looking down all the time or crouched down on floor while I'm doing all these testing/benchmarks.

abitip35pro013copyih4.th.jpg

then I realized when I turned my other desktop that the 24" monitor is showing on the top left corner that I'm hooked up via DVI...THEN IT HIT ME. :blink:

There's an extra VGA connection available for the Abit IP35! :wacko:

So I have Abit IP35 now hooked up to the 24"...NO MORE looking down/on my knees pain in the butt set up

BTW I use that steering wheel to prop my head up there when I start getting sleepy. :whistle:

abitip35pro014copymv7.th.jpg

I bought big around 6 months ago, so my upgrades are done.

Already have a big case (thermaltake armor)

A powerful processor (Quad Core 2.4ghz Q6600)

a Cool mouse (Diamond back Razer)

A Really cool keyboard (G15)

a nforce 680I board with heatpipes (Asus P5N32E-SLI)

an awesome video card (EVGA 8800GTX)

Great memory (Kingston 2gb)

Awesome LCD ( 19" Viewsonic VP930 graphic professional series using DVI)

Fast Burner (Asus Lightscribe 20x SATA burner)

Great hard drive (Seagate barracuda 7200.11 250gb drive)

Surround Sound (Creative 5.1 speakers i don't use, a Barracuda 5.1 Headset paired to my X-fi music)

My most recent upgrade was dumping Vista 32bit for Vista 64. Btw in case you don't know, OEM 32 bit keys will activate on the same system 64bit. You just have to find the media.

I'm outta things to upgrade for the moment, which is good cuz i don't think my wife would go for anymore lol!

Holy Crap Roco! I just cloned your rig!

CPL, time to call a house-keeper... :hehe:

Holy Crap Roco! I just cloned your rig!

CPL, time to call a house-keeper... :hehe:

LOL there a a few clones. Cell got one also and Jstars got one similar guts wise. It's a good setup and affordable to a degree. I however don't have the water cooling... hence i had said if you got the water cooling one i would have case envy only LOL!

...just curious, I need someone to replace a blue LED (2 pcs), soldered on a circuit board with red LED...how much do I expect someone would charge me? :unsure:

compared to my previous post and after doing the WinXP Tweaks...

am I finally doing this right::confused:

3408pi0.th.jpg

My most recent upgrade was dumping Vista 32bit for Vista 64. Btw in case you don't know, OEM 32 bit keys will activate on the same system 64bit. You just have to find the media.

Just curious what do you mean by media? You mean the installation DVD?

I'm upgrading to a Q6600 rig soon. Just need to decide on a mobo and graphics card

I dunno...this is kinda scary now...any advice or hints what I should do...I did say I wasn't going to OC but...what do you guys think?

3408pb3.th.jpg

Stop me before its too late :rofl:

I lowered the Core Voltage to 1.25 I believe...see if you can make a recommendation:

3408vc5.th.jpg

advance thanks

per suggestion from another aBIT user:

stay 1:1 FSB to memory while you adjust the other parameters.

MCH, ICHIO and Vdimm play roles in attaining max overclock besides vcore.

try MCH of 1.4x; ICHIO of 1.65 and Vdimm of 2.1 to 2.2 to attain 3.6 mhz using 9 x 400 FSB (CPU VTT set to 1.3).....

good luck!:)

sorry can't find the Vdimm in BIOS or uGuru, this is what I got so far, please offer your suggestion(s)

the only thing I keep finding w/ Goggle has something to do with RAMs....but my RAM is pretty generic...

30508bu0.th.jpg

advance thanks as always

per suggestion from another aBIT user:

stay 1:1 FSB to memory while you adjust the other parameters.

MCH, ICHIO and Vdimm play roles in attaining max overclock besides vcore.

try MCH of 1.4x; ICHIO of 1.65 and Vdimm of 2.1 to 2.2 to attain 3.6 mhz using 9 x 400 FSB (CPU VTT set to 1.3).....

good luck!:)

sorry can't find the Vdimm in BIOS or uGuru, this is what I got so far, please offer your suggestion(s)

the only thing I keep finding w/ Goggle has something to do with RAMs....but my RAM is pretty generic...

30508bu0.th.jpg

advance thanks as always

FOUND IT! It's in DDR while inside BIOS, here's an update

30508nf5.th.jpg

I don't plan on upgrading until 2010 but here's my current wish list:

Processor: AMD Athlon 5600+ Socket AM2 (2.8 gigahertz) 65 nanometer

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3

Random Access Memory: Patriot Extreme Performance 4 gigabytes PC2 6400

Video Card: BFG Tech BFGE86256GTOC2FE GeForce 8600GT 256 megabyte 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16