GRAW 2 Sales figures

GRAW2 PC has already sold 600,000 units.

Deco147,

Can you please give us a link to your source for this information? Where did this number come from?

I hope this is verifiable via a reliable and accurate source and not just rumor.

We just where told the final number from UBI to Grin for GRAW1 PC was 820000 units sold. And currently GRAW2 PC is at about 600000 units sold.

Edited by deco147

Deco147,

Can you please give us a link to your source for this information? Where did this number come from?

I hope this is verifiable via a reliable and accurate source and not just rumor.

We just where told the final number from UBI to Grin for GRAW1 PC was 820000 units sold. And currently GRAW2 PC is at about 600000 units sold.

Thanks deco. Wolf is nothing if not accurate with his details.

Deco147,

UBI releases information about this on there homepage as in example right here: http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/index.php?p=194&art_id=

Among Ubisoft’s biggest successes, the Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon� franchise has sold 15 million copies worldwide and is one of the most played games online.

Edited by Mysticaly

This is good news. I hope it can breath some more life into this game.

I doubt it very much - too little, too late unfortunately.

No doubt we'll dl the patch when it comes, check the new content, then go back to playing CoD4, Crysis & UT3. :D

Patch 1.05 is a good start. GRAW2 PC has already sold 600,000 units. Therefore there is a very good chance much more content will be added to this game in the future.

This is the beginning of GRAW2 not the end.

600,000. Not to disput any numbers but what I find interesting is that not long after the game came out, there was next to nobody playing it. 600,000 copies against what 300 players world wide? thats like .0005% If I was a manufacture and saw that kind of number Id be very worried that it was a disaster and that my future sales potential is going to suck big time. Id have just ripped off and ###### off 599700 customers to make 300 sort of ok with the product. Thats over 29 million dollars in sales to ticked off fans. I bought my copy 30 days after it came out. Within Three weeks, I had almost no one to play online with, all my clan and most others that battled together had dropped it already for BETA versions of other games. As much as I love the GR series, and Ill really appreciate more fixes and substance, I feel really ripped off. I spent my $50.00 and got about .0005% value out of it.

GRAW2 was bundled with Dell laptops for example.

Wolf, this fact concerns me even more. If it were 600,000 units actively purchased by consumers that's one thing... how many of that 600,000 were pre-loads with OEM's? If it's substantial, I'd be concerned since a lot of pre-loaded crapware is simply un-installed, or the Dell PC is re-imaged, etc.

-John K.

Wolf, this fact concerns me even more. If it were 600,000 units actively purchased by consumers that's one thing... how many of that 600,000 were pre-loads with OEM's? If it's substantial, I'd be concerned since a lot of pre-loaded crapware is simply un-installed, or the Dell PC is re-imaged, etc.

-John K.

I think they got it on a DVD on the side, that's how I got Vegas with my Dell. And I have no idea how many. It's only with their most expensive new XPS laptop with Ageia card I think, and only been available for a little over a month now. So I don't think it's that many units (so far at least).

Haven't seen any graphics card bundles like with GRAW1 and the GeForce 8600GTS. That probably would up the unit number more then with a Dell laptop.

-John K.

I think they got it on a DVD on the side, that's how I got Vegas with my Dell. And I have no idea how many. It's only with their most expensive new XPS laptop with Ageia card I think, and only been available for a little over a month now. So I don't think it's that many units (so far at least).

Haven't seen any graphics card bundles like with GRAW1 and the GeForce 8600GTS. That probably would up the unit number more then with a Dell laptop.

AlienWare, I believe, did the bundle deal. I'd venture to say they also made it available separately for purchase/download through their site.

Not to be a s**t stirrer or anything, but say the figure is actually 600,000 copies sold.

Now just for fun.....

Benefit of the doubt....say half of that is actual retail consumers.....300,000 and the other half is bundled in laptops/motherboards...whatever.....not in circulation yet.

That is 300,000 copies. Random guess - 1/3 of that 300,000 for retail is still sitting on store shelves. = 200,000 in circulation...

half of the 200,000 in circulation are SP players only = 100,000 MP players.......

I counted 82 players online the other night. Where the hell is everyone?

If I plug in Rocky's numbers: 62,000 - 1/2 to retail customers= 31,000

1/3 on store shelves still -=20,666 in circulation

half of that being SP players = 10,333 MP players ...divide that by timezone differences and you have a more accurate number of what you may see online when you log in.

Divide it again by the amount of people that have left due to frustration or boredom with GRAW2 or to go play COD4, Crysis, ArmA, GR1 or any other number of games out there and you may get another number closer to the 100 or less online players we see today. Note that many of the online players are fairly new ones as well.

Edited by Cell*AFZ*

Is that like one of those email thigs that comes round that starts off by saying there's a 60 Million UK population, then you take off the people that are on sick leave, take off the people who are too young to work... etc etc, then at the end of the sum there is only one person left actually working? <_<

Among Ubisoft’s biggest successes, the Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon� franchise has sold 15 million copies worldwide and is one of the most played games online.

What I'd like to see is a breakdown of the following sales:

Ghost Recon (PC)

Ghost Recon (Consoles)

Ghost Recon: Desert Siege (PC)

Ghost Recon: Desert Siege (Consoles)

Ghost Recon: Island Thunder (PC)

Ghost Recon: Island Thunder (Consoles)

Ghost Recon 2 (Consoles)

GRAW1 (PC)

GRAW1 (Consoles)

GRAW2 (PC)

GRAW2 (Consoles)

I think those statistics would give a better overall picture of which platform owns the larger part of the 15 million copies. Only 62,000 for GRAW2, and 309,000 for GRAW1, that leaves more than 14.5 million copies that were sold, and to who? I would go so far as to think the PC community has the larger share.

And if it is as I suspect, then who in their right mind at UBI would think that "consoles" are the way of the future?

Looks like the numbers vary wildly depending on who you ask. The industry numbers I've seen quoted for GRAW 2 are just over 62,000, for GRAW 1 PC sales were just over 309,000.

At least those are not the numbers presented to Grin from UBI, and I don't think UBI would want to pay royalties unless they have too... do you?

But maybe UBI has 500000 copies in a warehouse somewhere. :P

One theory is that 62000 could be the amount sold in stores and the rest has gone through bundles.

One theory is that 62000 could be the amount sold in stores and the rest has gone through bundles.
If that's true, then you have 62,000 individual consumers that made a conscious decision to purchase GRAW 2 PC. IMO it does not matter how many copies are given away or are corporate purchases (ie. bundled with another product). And I'm sure that bulk purchases are not at the retail price, anyway.

Any way you slice it, GRAW2 (and probably GRAW 1) was probably a financial loss for UBI (though not necessarily for Grin), which would explain the lack of support, additional content, etc. Yes, yes, I know, I know, there is a patch in the works and Grin visits GR.Net every day. However, if GRAW 2 PC was a financial success, patching would have been completed months ago, and UBI/Grin would be rolling out their second or third installment of downloadable content. Because, even though DLC might be free to existing players, it would entice new customers, which would finance & justify the cost of developing patches, DLC, etc.

That's just my $.02 on the numbers, not a reflection of my personal opinion of the game, which I like.

Edited by Cangaroo.TNT

I think that we can talk sales figures until we're blue in the face, but all that truly matters is whether Ubi made money or not, and to the tune of how may Dollars/Euros/Francs/whatever. If it seems profitable, they'll keep supporting it. If it loses money, they'll eventually cut it loose.

Analyzing the cost/benefit of paid content versus free content is important. They may being in some money for paid content, but it won't get to nearly as many players either. The cost of developing the additional content falls still on the developer anyhow, so it would have to bring in money one way or another.

In the case of an insanely popular game like [GR] or BF2, that wasn't a problem. Even casual gamers happily dropped $10 at a shot to download or pickup an pdate with a few maps, a few new weapons, a couple new vehicles and a new character skin or two. On the other hand, who in their right mind would have paid for any update released for GRAW? Even the v1.35 patch? Yeah.

First thing to consider is if there's even a market for it. For Xbox360 players, I'm sure it's worth the money to pay for additional content. For us PC players? The game itself is bargain bin in most cases. Paid content updates would go very poorly...

Well, the 600,000 is more likely "units shipped" rather than "units sold." Direct purchases are more like 60,000 :(

That makes more sense, being that I'm sure retailers' orders are still counted as sales. What THEY managed to move so far into the customers' hands is a far different story.

Glad you pointed that out. :)