WiFi Thieves Confess

WhiteKnight77

There is an article over at ZD.net about how 54% of computer users admit to piggybacking over one's unsecured WiFi network. The comments in the comment section can be rather disturbing for those who think they are safe from WiFi thieves. Read more about this at Wi-Fi piggybackers confess.

If you have a WiFi network, secure it for your own safety.

Here is something interesting... The new Windows Live one care 2.0 has a new feature. It will either seek out instructions for you or actually configure the wireless access point with you and make you make a disk to put the encryption key on your pc's. If you don't know what once care it, it's MS's complete antivirus / firewall /malware and complete backup. You get 3 licenses with a purchase and with 2.0 they all can be controlled by one pc. I just watched a Webinar from our MS rep on it last week. The ability to configure wireless access points, i did not expect but it's one of the most overlooked things by home customers.

do i still need to be concerned about some hijacking us.

It depends on whether your router's wireless connection is on or off by default. If it's off, you're fine. If it's on, check the instructions that came with it/your Comcast user manual on how to log into the router and disable the wireless portion.

If you're using wires exclusively, you can just turn off (if it's on) the wireless portion, and have no risk of anyone leeching your service.

If you're not sure on how to do this, please post the make/model of the router in question, and I'm sure someone will be able to give easy instructions on how to check and disable if need be.

There is an article over at ZD.net about how 54% of computer users admit to piggybacking over one's unsecured WiFi network. The comments in the comment section can be rather disturbing for those who think they are safe from WiFi thieves. Read more about this at Wi-Fi piggybackers confess.

If you have a WiFi network, secure it for your own safety.

When I had my last computer it automatically loggen on my neighbour neighbours network, he's a finacial admin with a bank and works from home.... at silvester I told him to secure his buissness, and off course I sent a message to the bank too to keep an eye on their employees......

Though he was very angry at em first later he thanked me for spotting a potentially very dangerous leak.....

That's why I don't use WIFI, I have a phoneline-adsl connection which is a bit safer, though if people want bad they can hack anything...... :unsure:

you have to turn off your SSID broadcasting in your wireless router. thieves can break-in to your connection if you have SSID turned on

need the wireless features of your router?

look Here

if not, turn off the SSID broadcasting within your router interface/ internet browser since, most web browsers access the routers these days. :thumbsup: atleast router manufacturers make routers that you access with your IE, firefox etc. usually you access it by typing "http://127.0.0.1" without the quotes. then you will see in your internet browser the login interface for username and password.

Edited by Papa6