Unforgettable images

Metal_Jacket

I just thought that I might post a few images that really don’t need an explanation.

Do you know of photo images that are unforgettable to you? (Local or international)

war is over

Taking a break after a hard day

Soldier being comforted by a priest after a sniper hits

JFK

D-Day

Einstein

Marilyn

Edited by Metal_Jacket

Falk01.jpg

On 8 June five Argentine planes hit two British supply ships, Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram, in Fitzroy. Around 200 men,(and a few friends) many of them Welsh Guards, were killed or injured as the Argentine bombs ignited the huge amount of explosives the ship was carrying.

MODERATOR EDIT: Large image changed to link per forum rules.

Edited by Hammer

Yeah, that was a big crash... and the video footage of it is better than a still image, because it really shows the speed of it. He touched another car at 180mph and speared off the track, hit the first wall at about 140mph, then bounced off it and back across the track (where several cars, travelling at 180mph themselves, were lucky not to collect him) before hitting the second wall (as in the pic posted)... Only a few years ago that crash would've been fatal, but F1 cars are amazingly strong now. And he wanted to race in the US GP the following weekend too, but doctors wouldn't let him!

Some other similar images are plenty of other F1 accidents:

Ayrton Senna's fatal crash at Imola in 1994 as he chased Michael Schumacher for the lead of the race

Nikki Lauda's almost-fatal crash at the Nürburgring in 1976

Ralf Schumacher (the airborne car) hitting Rubens Barrichello at Melbourne in 2002 (no-one injured)

18 car pile-up at Spa in 1998 (no-one injured)

There are loads of other horrendous-looking F1 accidents, like the crash that killed Gilles Villeneuve, as well as Alex Zanardi's champ car crash that cost him his legs. (EDIT: I've found video clips of these, but they're pretty gruesome - especially Villeneuve's death - so I won't post the links)

Love the Berlin wall photo from CC above, and other ones that surely deserve a mention are the student protest at Tianamen Square in Beijing and the mushroom clouds over Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

Edited by Gav80

In a similar vein, there's also the Soviet invasion of Prague in the sixties ('68? '69? I forget exactly), with the pics of Red Army tanks in Wenceslas Square, or of the local who set himself on fire in the square as a protest...

I'm also surprised at some of the images I forgot: Richard Nixon's resignation speech; the first "televised war" pictures from Vietnam and Korea; the Queen's coronation in 1953 (perhaps only for Brits, but for many it was the first time they'd bought a television so it was very significant); the wreckage at Pearl Harbor (see I even spelt it the American way for you!) in 1941; the Hindenburg disaster; the Twin Towers burning on 9/11 (apologies if that's too recent a wound to pick at, but I think it deserves a mention as one of the most striking images in history); the Nazi rallies at Nuremburg... So many to choose from, and not all bad either - the iconic pic of Marilyn Monroe with her dress being blown about; Nelson Mandela released from prison; Nelson Mandela with the South African rugby team having just won the world cup...

There would be a few photos that just about are unforgettable for me...here's 2 of them...with no political meaning behind them at all.

Kim Phuc running from her napalmed village

Lt. Colonel Nguyen Ngoc execution of a north vietnamese soldier

And if we are talking Formula1 it's got to be Roger Williamsons fatal crash in the 1973 Dutch Grandprix, it's haunting to see David Purley trying to flip his mates overturned car in a bid to rescue him from a fiery deat....and seeing his distress when he realises it's to heavy for him.

Warning for graphic images in this video

Oh, and if I remember the story of one of the pics in the very first post in this thread it's not a soldier being comforted by a priest after a sniper attack. It's instead the priest withouth fear of his own life who's stepped out right in the street to give last rights in the middle of an ongoing firefight.

The story behind the photo

Great finds Snowfella, the Roger Williamsons footage was tragic, David Purley done his upmost best to help his mate.

I don’t mean to be out of place here, but , I couldn’t help thnking, where the hell are the marshals, what’s taking them so long!!

The marshals were slow, but what I really don't understand is why, a couple of minutes after the accident, there's a marshal in the foreground waving a yellow flag (ie "caution, accident, slow down and no overtaking until you're past the scene" - as though the black smoke didn't give it away!): surely that should have been an instant red flag (ie "race stopped")??

I've seen that footage before, and although David Purley's obvious dejection is bad to watch, I still think Gilles Villeneuve's crash was worse. I don't know if you've seen it, but there are no flames, just a high-speed impact with a wall, the car somersaulting and shaking itself to pieces, and Gilles' flailing body being thrown from the car into a crash fence on the other side of the track... Not pleasant.

I can't remember who it was now, but there was someone drowned at Monaco too, when they crashed by Tabac corner and actually cleared the barriers and went into the harbour itself... That was nasty too.

Edited by Gav80

The marshals were slow, but what I really don't understand is why, a couple of minutes after the accident, there's a marshal in the foreground waving a yellow flag (ie "caution, accident, slow down and no overtaking until you're past the scene" - as though the black smoke didn't give it away!): surely that should have been an instant red flag (ie "race stopped")??

I've seen that footage before, and although David Purley's obvious dejection is bad to watch, I still think Gilles Villeneuve's crash was worse. I don't know if you've seen it, but there are no flames, just a high-speed impact with a wall, the car somersaulting and shaking itself to pieces, and Gilles' flailing body being thrown from the car into a crash fence on the other side of the track... Not pleasant.

I can't remember who it was now, but there was someone drowned at Monaco too, when they crashed by Tabac corner and actually cleared the barriers and went into the harbour itself... That was nasty too.

But we are talking about 1970's the marshels were not trained and were just friends or relatives of the drivers/track owners and it was the most dangerouse time for F1 drivers with very littel in the way of safety for the drivers or spectators. With next to no run off areas and on some circuits there were only straw bails between the public and the track !! :o

Edited by Hammer

And they didn't even have fireproof clothing either so there was no way they could of helped Purley in righting the car.

And yeah, Gilles crash is without a doubt a bad one but I have to say I came across a worse one yesterday while looking for the Roger Williamsons footage and that's Tom Pryce fatal crash at the 1977 South African Grand Prix. It's shocking to see in it's brutality, shocking enough that I won't post a link to it here.

Quick recap of that crash is simple, Pryce was slipstreaming behind another car going down one of the major straights, being behind the other car he had no chance of seeing the 2 fire marshals crossing the circuit to get to a burning car. The car he was travelling behind had enough time to avoid the firemarshals but Pryce had no chance, clipping the second marshal going pretty much as fast as you could go. That impact killed both the fire marshal and Pryce instantly, the marshal ofcource from getting hit by the car and Pryce from being hit in the head by the marshals 45kg fire extinguisher.

Ooh, I hadn't seent that one... the camera didn't get the best view of it, but the marshal being hit really makes you catch your breath. Whatever people think of the FIA (F1's governing body, who generally aren't very popular with fans), they've certainly done a really impressive job at making the sport safer... Some of it was obviously common sense (eg not allowing marshals to run across the track whilst the race is in progress, or making seatbelts compulsory - how they ever managed to race without them I'll never understand), but the car impact tests and wheel tethers etc really make a difference.

There have been some big crashes at high speeds in the last decade or so that would previously have been multiple fatalities on the spot (like Kubica's crash in Canada this year from earlier in the thread, Lewis Hamilton's suspension failure at the Nurburgring this year, Michael Schumacher's 190mph brake failure at Silverstone in 1999, or both BAR cars crashing and rolling (at 180mph) through Spa's Eau Rouge in 1999), but fortunately F1 hasn't lost a driver since Senna in May 1994 - although two marshalls have been killed this century by flying wheels after big accidents (one at Monza in 2000, and the other at Melbourne in 2001)...

Ooh, I hadn't seent that one... the camera didn't get the best view of it, but the marshal being hit really makes you catch your breath. Whatever people think of the FIA (F1's governing body, who generally aren't very popular with fans), they've certainly done a really impressive job at making the sport safer... Some of it was obviously common sense (eg not allowing marshals to run across the track whilst the race is in progress, or making seatbelts compulsory - how they ever managed to race without them I'll never understand), but the car impact tests and wheel tethers etc really make a difference.

There have been some big crashes at high speeds in the last decade or so that would previously have been multiple fatalities on the spot (like Kubica's crash in Canada this year from earlier in the thread, Lewis Hamilton's suspension failure at the Nurburgring this year, Michael Schumacher's 190mph brake failure at Silverstone in 1999, or both BAR cars crashing and rolling (at 180mph) through Spa's Eau Rouge in 1999), but fortunately F1 hasn't lost a driver since Senna in May 1994 - although two marshalls have been killed this century by flying wheels after big accidents (one at Monza in 2000, and the other at Melbourne in 2001)...

Sounds like FIA is borrowing some safetytype equipment from NASCAR. We have had wheel tethers along with hood and decklid tethers for years now. Fans had been hurt by hoods flying over the fence and into the stands during some crashes, especially at Daytona.

The wheel tethers have been in F1 for years too, but they're always tweaking the rules on them - eg increasing the minimum tensile load they have to withstand before breaking, or the altering the elasticity of them, or changing the number of them etc. I've no idea whether F1 or NASCAR had them first, but the FIA certainly does look at safety devices in other forms of motorsport - eg the HANS device was introduced to F1 a few years back after being imported from American racing.

Wheel tethers were actually compulsory at the time of both marshals' deaths in 2000 and 2001, but the force of the accidents were enough to tear the wheels off anyway and they still had enough energy to clear crash fencing and be fatal.

Abbey Road (The Beatles)..

The rumour at the time was that Paul McCartney had died in a car accident, the remaining band members replaced him with a look alike, (Billy Shears}.

They evidently felt kinda bad about it so they left clues in there albums.

Here are some of the clues on the Abbey road album.

The license plate on the white car (even though its not clear in this photo) in the background. The numbers say "28IF". Paul would have been 28 IF he had survived from the car crash!

Crossing the road, John is dressed like a priest, Ringo: a paul bearer, the Paul-look alike: a dead guy, and George: a grave digger

The fake Paul has a cig in his right hand. Everybody knows that the REAL Paul was left handed.

"Paul" isn't wearing shoes, a symbol of death in Greece.

Could this be true? Or is it a brilliant marketing ploy.

• 3 weeks later...