Ghost Recon.net Forums

Need help making a custom fan dust filter

On my new rig, my clear side panel houses a (huge) 23cm intake fan. I want to build a custom dust filter for this fan. Although I've had the new rig for almost 1 month, I haven't been able to find anything I can use for a dust filter.

Ideally, I want to get hold of a sheet of the material they use for fan dust filters, so I can cut it to the correct size myself. Everywhere I've looked online, they sell the material attached to a frame. So although I searched for fan dust filter material and not fan dust filter, the results were coming back as fan dust filters.

I repeat, I just want a sheet of the material that is used for fan dust filters. Just the sheet of material, no frame or nothing. Does anyone know where I can get some of it? Bear in mind I'm in the UK (and my local DIY store doesn't have any)

I am aware that I can cut down a pair of tights (US: 'pantyhose') for this purpose but I don't have access to any here (unless I raid the next door neighbours washing line)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by WytchDokta

As I expected, the only roll filters are available are in 'funky' colours. My case is black and so is the mesh [finger protector] over the front of the fan.

Some-one said they used washing up scrubbing pads bought from a supermarket as a side panel fan dust filter. The roll filter media on that website seems to be that same consistency, but I was more looking for the material used in PC fan filters, you know, the thin gridded black stuff.

Available in thicknesses ranging from 6-50mm and grades from G2 to F5 we are able to exactly match media to an application in terms of cost and efficiency.

Okaaaaaaay..... so how do I know what thickness/grade I need?

I guess the Washable Reticulated Polyester Media is more what I'm looking for, but ideally I'd need it to be thinner. Basically, I just need the filter media stuff they use for the washable PC fan dust filters like on this Akasa 120mm Fan Filter, but I don't need the black plastic frame it's mounted to.

Edited by WytchDokta

I am aware that I can cut down a pair of tights (US: 'pantyhose') for this purpose but I don't have access to any here (unless I raid the next door neighbours washing line)

...nice pick up line though :D ...no matter what size she comes in, its win-win situation. If she comes in large, consider it "lifetime supply" :whistle:

My last resort would be the green scrubbing pad (for kitchen)...thickness might be an issue. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
"lifetime supply"
:rofl:

____

I have a 25cm side-mounted fan that spins at a blistering 600RPM...I'd like to filter it but if I would I think I might as well unplug it; if your fan is similar go for the less restrictive material as possible.