Installing XP over Vista laptop

Cpl Ledanek

Ok, here's the deal, CirCty & BstBy have a few laptops that are either Turion or Celeron with 1 GB memory.

1GB is not OK with VISTA.

So, can you purchase a Vista laptop (Turion or Celeron with 1GB only) and partition its HD to install XP into it? (which should run on 1GB just fine)

How about driver issues specially with Network cards (read its a common problem with HP/Compaq Vista Laptop turned into XP)?

Can I use my older XP Home OS(previously installed in an Acer) to installed to partitioned HD of a newer Acer (currently running Vista)?

no. bcz the acer version is licensed ONLY for the acer. now, if you had a store purchased copy, then that would be legal to use.

likewise, if I picked out my windows media center for my current Compaq and then tried to install it on another compaq, that would be in legal terms wrong as well.

Why not just buy of the net, it might be cheaper and you can choose your OS.

Dell and R& J Tech are the only online place I could find that allows you to chose what OS to install.

No frills, Dell will get you an Inspiron for less than $700. Only problem is, Dell's HD under $700 usually runs 5400rpm.

Everyone else is 7200rpm.

Again no frills right.

So, I just missed a 200gb HD Acer for $599 from BestBuy.

Might run to Office Depot to pick up Toshiba 2gb RAM Vista for $599...pretty uncommon for store shelf laptop under $700.

If it was for me, R & J Tech may hit the sweet spot with their white barebone laptop. :yes:

no. bcz the acer version is licensed ONLY for the acer. now, if you had a store purchased copy, then that would be legal to use.

likewise, if I picked out my windows media center for my current Compaq and then tried to install it on another compaq, that would be in legal terms wrong as well.

Correct.

OEM copies of XP and Vista cannot be (legally) transferred from 1 pc to the next. They are susposed to die with the pc.

Retail... is more expensive because they are transferrable and you get free tech support from microsoft.

Non legally however is possible and i'll leave it at that.