hal.dll

natsanwa

hey all.

i got a hal.dll error and cant boot my pc. spent hours trying to fix this, including a five hour call to someone in japan (im sucker i know).

does anyone know anyone who has ever encountered this problem - and actually fixed it without having to wipe it and start again?

dont want to lose all my 3dmax models and so on. it's about two years of work. and no - im an idiot and havent backed up in a long time. i suffer from 'it will be ok' syndrome. nightmare.

anyone?

I have run into this problem. If you have a spare hard drive you can ghost your drive onto another so you don't loose your information. I tried to follow this guide with expanding the hal.dll off of the XP CD, but that didn't work for me. You really might be SOL if you don't have another hard drive to copy this stuff on to.

And while I'm sure you learned your lesson, I suggest always having a second hard drive to keep your stuff stored on along with burning it to DVDs.

thanks guy's. it's a real nightmare! was just about to get back to modding my favourite game and all! looks like ill have to wait a bit longer. nevermind. ill always love gr, so ill always be around to mod for it should anyone else be interested. rip my computer.

thanks again.

nat :thumbsup:

I found a fairly simple method of trying to fix it. All it requires is an MS-DOS boot floppy and possibly an XP CD.

Otherwise, if you find you can't repair the damaged/missing HAL.dll, try to perform a Repair install before even thinking about a fresh format/install. A Repair install (not repair console) will fix the OS without touching anything else, like your MAX files.

I found a fairly simple method of trying to fix it. All it requires is an MS-DOS boot floppy and possibly an XP CD.

Otherwise, if you find you can't repair the damaged/missing HAL.dll, try to perform a Repair install before even thinking about a fresh format/install. A Repair install (not repair console) will fix the OS without touching anything else, like your MAX files.

If natsanwa trys to fix his PC this way I wish he heeps of good luck. :thumbsup: We tried it on a couple of PC's at work without an results and had to do a fresh os install. :( Next time we had one go down with this problem we had the corp. IT head come to our building and have a go at it,just in case we we doing something wrong,and he didn't have any luck either. :wall:

We tried it on a couple of PC's at work without an results and had to do a fresh os install.

Yep, I know it's a really long shot, but if the system is basically hosed, it's worth the 5-10 minutes to take a chance. I mean, it's not like it's going to break something. <_<

We tried it on a couple of PC's at work without an results and had to do a fresh os install.

Yep, I know it's a really long shot, but if the system is basically hosed, it's worth the 5-10 minutes to take a chance. I mean, it's not like it's going to break something. <_<

Very true. :yes:

hey guy's. thanks for all the help. i tried everything, but had to go with format and re-instal. bummer! too sad for words right now. ill get my stuff up and running, then straight back to modding - all over again. downer.

thanks again. nat :thumbsup:

hey guy's. thanks for all the help. i tried everything, but had to go with format and re-instal. bummer! too sad for words right now. ill get my stuff up and running, then straight back to modding - all over again. downer.

thanks again. nat :thumbsup:

This is why I have my HD partitioned into three partitions. All of my modding and work stuff is on drives D and E, so that if my OS craps the bed and I have to reformat, I only lose the stuff on C. :)

I am curious with what happened to Natsanwa's computer. Did his Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) program become corrupted? If HAL programming becomes corrupted is the only way to fix it reformating your hard drive?

Negative.

Boot off the XP cd and choose recovery console.

Use a floppy and get a copy of hal.dll from another pc with with same service pack

Copy that hal.dll over yours under c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

If it won't let you copy it over it, rename your current with a ren c:\windows\system32\hal.dll c:\windows\system32\hal_old.dll

then copy yours into that directory with a copy a:\hal.dll c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

The one you copy in though has to be THE EXACT service pack version that you had.