Future AMD processors will most likely fit into current AM2 motherboar

dporter

This is aimed more towards those who are budget builders or casual weekend gamers. So those of you who can afford those quad core ballistic missile launching stations... back off.

Background: Around the end of May last year after I had completed what seemed like millions of corporate and individual tax returns I had finally decided it was time to upgrade to a new computer since the last one we had bought was clear back in 2001. I wanted to build though because the prepackaged one I had bought from best buy was simply not very upgrade friendly. Big decision at that time though was to go for the core 2 duo which was the hot seller or go with the AM2 dual core line up. I eventually decided on the AM2 lineup and I'll tell you why.

Why I went with AM2: We live on a tight budget. I've got three kids who need to eat, and sometimes they need to eat more then just top ramon. I also looked at the price for what it would take me to build a core 2 duo set up and that of the AM2 and it was just more affordable for the AM2 by at least a couple hundred, which for our family is a subtantial savings. I also looked at my "computer lifestyle", or what exactly I would be doing with the machine. Going back to the family issue, I don't have every single evening to just jump on a game until the wee hours of the night. I've got to help take care of the house, play poney's with the little one, and rough up my son. For me the dual core AM2 would be light years ahead of what we were coming from and that was enough for me.

Now here is what has made me so happy with my decision to go with the AM2:

According to this article and a few others I have seen, the future quad core and dual core AM2+ socket CPU's will work with my current motherboard so I won't have to change that out in the future. Not only that, but the future AM3 which will feature the 45nm technology will also most likely be compatible with my motherboard.

Personally I think this is excellent news for those of us who just want to build a nice system and keep those componenet parts for several years instead of having to change out the motherboard every couple of years.

Another interesting development with AMD is the future 3-core cpu's. Interesting article found here. These again will also be AM2+ chipsets and will most likely work with the AM2 mobo.

To me it has come down to the fact that I just can't keep up with the Jones' (aka roco) when it comes to building a computer, but I strongly believe there is a happy medium. I'm very happy with my gaming experience on a $400 machine I built last year. I don't get the eye popping graphics of the extreme machine but I can still play the games very well.

I am by no means a computer tech guru, but I hope that this maybe helped others who are in the same boat as me as I have seen several upgrade threads coming up in this forum lately (guess that means crisis is around the cornor).

My computer build for those interested:

AMD x2 3600 Brisbane (65nm) 1.9 ghz

2 gigs OCZ ddr 2 800

7600gt Foxconn video card

Sony dvd burner

Biostar T-force 550 socket AM2 motherboard

thanks dporter for this thread. yes you're not alone with the "rob-bank-to-play-high-end-games-at-maxed-out-bling" :rofl:

btw, its not a good idea to feed these small ppl aka food-collectors aka food-devours aka kids ramen noodles---it would give them gout which can cost more down the road on surgery and dependency on painkillers---impeding your computer upgrades in the future :whistle:

give them rice instead---it expands giving them a feel of being full---giving you 4-5 hrs of quiet time. :whistle:

sorry off-topic

:rofl:

your links are bookmarked :thumbsup:

:lolup:

To get even more off topic you reminded me of something that happened several years ago when I was in Mexico. One of the guys in our house had wanted to buy a guitar very badly so he would only buy rice when we would go grocery shopping to save the money. Well after about two straight weeks of rice for breakfast lunch and dinner we were headed for downtown and this poor kid passed out right there in the street. We thought it was hilarious back then (still kinda do) but it was actually pretty bad for his body. It's amazing the amount of vitamins it takes to keep the body healthy.