Do you shut your computer down for the night?

Militiaman

I was just reading not too long ago about how it is stressful on computer components to shutdown then restart your computer.

Now I have decided to put my computer in standby mode rather than shut it down for two nights in a row and then shut it down every third night to keep my power bill from going too high. What are everyone else's habits regarding this? Any advice?

The PC I'm on now is about 4 years old and I shut it down every night. I only use stand by if I'm going to use the PC within the next hour or so. :rocky: Did read an article by one of Seagate's Techs. the other day asking the same question and he said shut down has no adverse effect's on today's PC's as far as he was concerned and did not shorten the life of any of their products.

Yep, shut it off when not using it

That's just an urban myth, like not turning lights off when leaving the room for some time to "save bulb life" or leaving TV permanently on standby

you will spend far more on wasted electricity

I get asked that all the time at work. It doesn't matter. Same stress powering it up as leaving it on all the time. If you leave it on though in standby, customers don't remember it's on and usually hit the power button cutting power to it. Also if the power goes off all is lost (unless you hybernate ...(only with standby))

I'm bad to leave my laptop on. Simply because my PC/internet use is fairly erratic. I tend to leave windows open and things waiting for my return.

I turn it off whenever I remember, or can afford to shut individual windows down. As long as my PC stays cool, and I'm in my dorm not paying a power bill, it doesn't bother me. If I notice decreased performance from full RAM or just general clutter from being on a couple days, I turn it off.

Now, my desktop I used to turn off every night because it was in my room and a noisy beast. I sense I'll do the same with my new desktop because it will have blue LEDs and light up the room.