Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
krise madsen

first peek at Far Cry 2

Ubisoft offered the first peek at Far Cry 2 at the Leipzig Games Convention.

The highlights:

* PC exclusive.

* Developed by Ubisoft Montreal.

* New game engine. Clouds, wind, light, even smoke and fire is dynamic and non-scripted. If you set fire to some grass, the fire will spread in whatever direction the wind is blowing.

* Synopsis: You're a mercenary in Africa. You job is to kill an arms trafficker supplying the local warlords.

* Sandbox game with RPG elements: Whatever happens between the intro and your end goal (killing the arms trafficker) is up to you. You are free to roam the entire game world, make allies or attack anyone you come across.

* Dynamic "non-scripted" AI. The AI reacts to the situation at hand, depending on what the player does.

* Free roam over the entire map. No loading screens.

Source: Gamespot.com

Respectfully

krise madsen

Looks good, I'm tracking CRYSIS but this sandbox game is defiantly worth tracking too, I gave up with anything that UbiSoft are involved in but this looks too good, I hope it does not go into a 4 year development cycle like CRYSIS is in. I wait with anticipation, nice post.

viii :thumbsup:

http://farcry.uk.ubi.com/

I've been saying to myself that I won't try anything related to Far Cry sans Crytek but this does sound nice....the beauty of GUN was riding all over the place at your whim..hope this expands upon that....

mig :ph34r:

looks and sound amazing - if we can't mimick an [GR] workd here, theres something wrong.

I luv the fact that u dont have to script the AI - its already coded in to the game - so u jst place them and they'll sort out the fighting themselves. brilliant.

looks and sound amazing - if we can't mimick an [GR] workd here, theres something wrong.

I luv the fact that u dont have to script the AI - its already coded in to the game - so u jst place them and they'll sort out the fighting themselves. brilliant.

Note that this game is more of a 1st person view role playing game than a squad-based shooter, i.e. more "Oblivion, less [GR]".

No clue whatsoever what can be done with mods though :)

Respectfully

krise madsen

I'm happy about the fact that it's PC exclusive. At least Ubi's not porting to or from consoles...well, for now...

Hey guys!

Its been a while since I posted. Anyways, what do you mean a new engine? New as in even NEWER than the engine in crysis? Or is it using the crysis engine?

Let me know? Cause this one looks like an instant winner. :thumbsup:

I believe their using the same game engine that Far Cry was done on. Seems to me that UBI owns the rights to that game engine. :unsure:

The more I see of Far Cry 2, the more I like. I'm sure Crysis's single player is going to be awesome, but looks like multiplayer is already more like UT3 or FEAR then a proper shooter is.

Hopefully FC2's multiplayer delivers.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/103158.html

Its not high res, but very long. Looks like a Stalker style singleplayer campaign thats very open ended.

Edited by PwntUpRage

Actually, for me, that sounds a lot better than Crysis... :rolleyes:

Edited by Malleus

Actually, for me, that sounds a lot better than Crysis... :rolleyes:

I've never quite understood CryTek's fascination with mutants and alien monsters. For me, the fun of playing FarCry effectively ended when you got to that cave full the buggers. Crysis looks absolutely amazing. A true milestone in FPS game engines (albeit tough on system requirements). But I'd much rather fight, say "Victor Charlie" in the jungles of Vietnam, than some spaced out alien version of Mr. Freeze.

I does puzzle me that Ubisoft never took greater advantage of the FarCry engine from the start. It had, almost, everything needed for a truly epic military shooter. All that was needed was really to transplant the GR1 gameplay to the FarCry engine (with nice added bonuses like swimming, diving and driveable vehicles), come up with a new franchise name and slap the Tom Clancy brand on it. Heck, they wouldn't even need to replace the FarCry maps! *shrugs* Oh well, water under the bridge.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Didn't much care for the monsters either as I had a whole lot more fun fighting the mercs. Then there was the last few parts of Far Cry where they threw the open ended gameplay out the window and resorted to that same old crappy linear junk we see in way to many games. :( GR1 gameplay with the Far Cry engine would be very interesting but let's face it UBI already messed up R6 and GR so I doubt they will revert back to something exciting. :unsure: Still Far Cry 2 does look like it many have some promise. <_<

For me the beauty of Far Cry as far as action goes? Oh look...a gun boat! but wait! there are two trigens chasing me around this bush! holy crap Batman!

Course these days I wipe the boat, swim to a few points take a few shots, climb this, throw a few rocks and laugh at the mercs and trigens...take a few more shots.....proceed....in other words, I think the trigens and mercs combo made Far Cry what it is...probably my all time fav...if Rebellion were not there, maybe not....but that level is quintessential Far Cry and there are just a few trigens around there...it is also a template for what a great level is IMO...

mig :ph34r: