Ghost Recon.net Forums
ARDelta

Let's talk Audio

For my ears a cheaper set sounds just the same for gaming.
Say it isn't so. I can't help but want the most expensive thing out there. Fortunately, my budget is holding me back. :D

For my ears a cheaper set sounds just the same for gaming.
Say it isn't so. I can't help but want the most expensive thing out there. Fortunately, my budget is holding me back. :D

What a conundrum eh? LOL. Seriosuly though, why spend more than you need to. I've been using these edimensional headphones for a few days now, and I really can't see why I should take the 5.1 medusa headset back out of the drawer.

After considering the options and "bang for the buck," I had pretty much decided on the XFi Xtreme Gamer card and then I saw this, Xtreme Gamer for 84.99 plus 30.00 rebate at ZipZoomFly, and my mind was comlpetely made up! (Rebate offer ends tonight.)

So, now I just need to decide on a headset.

If you are buying that, get the speedlink medusa 5.1 headset.

So, as stated a few posts ago, I went with the Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer. It was finally delivered and I got it installed and the difference is obvious. I'm still using the cheap earbud Sony headphones, but I can tell a difference in the quality if the sound. The 3d positioning of sounds is MUCH better. I can tell where bullet are coming from, and I hear alot more sounds than with the onboard sound. Plus, when there's a burst a sound - like a fixed machine gun - my system doesn't stutter. I also see a general improvement in performace by about 5 FPS, but that is significant because I was getting 20 to 30 FPS and now I'm getting 25 to 35 FPS. (Once you get below 30 FPS, every single FPS counts!) I was so happy to see consistent FPS > 30!

Now, I just got to decide on a headset.

So, as stated a few posts ago, I went with the Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer. It was finally delivered and I got it installed and the difference is obvious. I'm still using the cheap earbud Sony headphones, but I can tell a difference in the quality if the sound. The 3d positioning of sounds is MUCH better. I can tell where bullet are coming from, and I hear alot more sounds than with the onboard sound. Plus, when there's a burst a sound - like a fixed machine gun - my system doesn't stutter. I also see a general improvement in performace by about 5 FPS, but that is significant because I was getting 20 to 30 FPS and now I'm getting 25 to 35 FPS. (Once you get below 30 FPS, every single FPS counts!) I was so happy to see consistent FPS > 30!

Now, I just got to decide on a headset.

hmmm, great feedback. That is actually some good info. Pretty nice for a $55 some sound card. Thanks for updating us on this. This will be good info since I'll probably be getting some decent headphones later.

Soooo ,after listening to some advice here and there i got myself a Speedlink Medusa 5.1 Surround home headset.

I've got it kinda cheap on E-bay ( New 55 Euro ).

Now i've been using these to listen to music and gaming,and..i'm not so happy with the sound.

Before these i had a gaming stereo headset from Logitech,had a great stereo sound but didn't fit my head :wall: .

Its 1 of those with a backstrap....They just didn't feel good :ermm: .

Now in the market for a good set of cans i wanted to expand my horizons and got myself a 5.1 set.

So far so good but the sound is ' flat '. Its hard to explain something about sound ,but its 'flat'.

Bear in mind i'm using these with a Creative X-FI Xtrememusic.

For those with a X-Fi soundcard : CMSS-3D = ON

: 24-Bit Crystalizer = ON

: EQ= ON

:Speakers = 5.1

:EAX = ON

Low tones= BAS.- ON

Subwoofer- ON

When i put speakers settings on 2.1 i get a rich sound,stereo sound. But putting it on 5.1 (it is a 5. headset), i get ...something not good.

Again its hard to 'TALK' about sounds. I also use my pc with a Z2300 speakerset from Logitech (when not using my headset) ,and they do the job very well !! I've thought i would get a richer sound with my 5.1 cans,but i didn't :(

Is there something i'm doing wrong here ?Any of you guys here with a X-FI soundcard and a 5.1 pair of cans that are happy with the sound ?

Should i sell these and get a good pair of stereo cans and mis out all the fun from surround sound ?

PS :while listening to music ,i kinda liked the sound. Its OK.

But for gaming... :huh: . I can hear ppl moving around and such, I can hear where the enemy is , but it all sounds so flat-crappy- lifeless-poor.

Is this normal with 5.1 gaming ?

Any help would be welcome :)

My Medusa certainly did not sound flat, but in my own experience changing speakers or headset is always difficult, because the sound just isn't the same, but it's difficult to put your finger on what's up. I'll bet after only 1 week of using your new set you'll think it sounds fine and you'll forget what the old set sounded like. The frustration of thinking you got better quality with the old set might not go so fast though.

Sorry that doesn't help at all lol, just a ramble.

@ topic starter, are you looking for a headset or for headphones? I know, headsets incorporate headphones, but I'm not talking about that. If you are looking for headphones, there are two main types: Studio headphones & DJ headphones. Studio are best for working at home composing audio work on your rig - these ones cancel out additional background noise. DJ headphones are, well, self explanitory. Often, you will pay a lot more for studio headphones than DJ headphones.

Here's an example of a top of range set of Studio headphones: AKG 271 Studio headphones

Here's an example of a top of range set of DJ headphones: AKG 281 DJ headphones

AKG may be expensive but you can't go wrong with them.