Ghost Recon.net Forums
campcreekdude

Need some thoughts of GRAW 2

OK so i really enjoyed(and still enjoy) the Ghost Recon 1 with the two expansions...

But i fear that Ghost Recon has gone more so of a arcadeish style of game...

That has been my main reason i have not purchased any of the newer Ghost Recons.

In Ghost Recon 1 i loved that i could control each individual and move them around.

It was so unique. I believe that cannot be done in this one. Now Every Game is the same.. Your one person and thats it...

Or Does GRaw 2 have some Ghost Recon 1 elements in it...

Can you turn off the Gun to take it away from the view? Can you actually be a different person in the squad other than yourself?

I would love to buy the game since its system requirements are within my computers range.

But i just have a bad feeling about these Tom Clancy Games nowadayz...

(Ghost Recon 2 didnt come out for PC so i know little of it)'

So in conclusion:

i would like to know what kind of systems you have and whats your Frames Per Second...

and i also would like someone to try to convince me that i will like this game since i liked the old school Ghost Recon....

or try to tell me not to buy this game... if its so dissimilar.

You could try the SP demo, but to answer 2 of your questions, no you cannot turn off the gun from your view (part of the body awareness rather than just a floating reticule, that and iron sights play a big part), and no you cannot play as anyone other than the "hero" character Captain Scott Mitchell. That doesn't mean it's a bad game, but it's not 100% [GR] like.

Boy talk about stirring the pot! Anyway, I think the "body-snatching" in GR1 was kinda weird. In GRAW2, you're always Mitchell, but the CrossCom gives you a great degree of control over your guys. Nutlink is right, try the demo and decide for yourself before dropping all your cash.

Busy?

The weekend is right around the corner...suggest you allocate any freetime from it, get yourself a comfortable chair, and a bottle of aspirin, and start reading the relevant threads in this forum-start to finish.

If that doesn't help in your decision well then at least you'll have learned that around here members opinions on the game series, as well as their computer systems, vary widely.

And are not always compatible.

You're going to get a whole variety of replies from people, but my 2c is that I really like it. I probably like it as much as I liked GR1 with a similar amount of time spent with it (one of the best things about GR1 was that the more I played it the more I liked it, only time will tell if GRAW2 has that same ability).

As was said you can't remove the weapon from your view (with the exception that you don't see it when you run). Personally I don't find that to be a problem, I barely notice it's there if at all.

You also can't "soul-switch" but as was said you can use the "cross-com" to see what your squad members see and you can use a context sensitive command menu to move them around, make them attack a particular target, lay down cover fire etc.

You can also use this command menu from your own view, you don't have to switch to a squad members view. And you can certainly control each individual, or a squad as a whole. One example I really liked was a mission where you have to defend a building from attack by insurgents. I opened the command map and ordered each of my guys to positions in cover at different points around the front of it. As I got to the building I noticed a mounted machine gun at the front so I was able to point at it and command one of them to use it.

Another big plus with GRAW 2 is the reintroduction of rules of engagement, albeit in a slightly limited way, it only allows for "recon" and "assault", but it's still a huge improvement and adds a lot more depth of control.

Overall it's certainly not GR1 with updated graphics, and it's missing one or two things that I really liked from GR1, but's a very good game in it's own right and one that I think most people who loved GR1 will really enjoy it.

(note: I'm just talking about single player and don't really play multi-player at all)

Try both the SP and MP demos and make up your own mind.

Best advice there is now that there are demos for both types of gameplay out there. :thumbsup:

OK so i really enjoyed(and still enjoy) the Ghost Recon 1 with the two expansions...

But i fear that Ghost Recon has gone more so of a arcadeish style of game...

That has been my main reason i have not purchased any of the newer Ghost Recons.

In Ghost Recon 1 i loved that i could control each individual and move them around.

It was so unique. I believe that cannot be done in this one. Now Every Game is the same.. Your one person and thats it...

Or Does GRaw 2 have some Ghost Recon 1 elements in it...

Can you turn off the Gun to take it away from the view? Can you actually be a different person in the squad other than yourself?

I would love to buy the game since its system requirements are within my computers range.

But i just have a bad feeling about these Tom Clancy Games nowadayz...

(Ghost Recon 2 didnt come out for PC so i know little of it)'

So in conclusion:

i would like to know what kind of systems you have and whats your Frames Per Second...

and i also would like someone to try to convince me that i will like this game since i liked the old school Ghost Recon....

or try to tell me not to buy this game... if its so dissimilar.

Buy the game and make your own mind up.

The demos do not do it justice.

It has moments from GR1 and it has its own moments as well.

Its a good game as it stands if it is supported by Grin and the community it will be a great game.

i think its worth it but you need to un-ghost recon yourself for this.

for instance, for a long time i wanted no weapons view - but i was way wrong to desire that.

first up, if ppl look for realism of [GR] then surely you need to be able to see the weapons - and GRAW2 weapons, reload animations, recoil etc are brilliant - in addition, the peaks and slides are imo improvements on [GR].

so if you're prepared to look at this as a new version of [GR] and not [GR] then i think you'll like it.

Thanks for the replies... I cant really download the Demo. Nor play any multiplayer.

My area where i live is limited to Dial-up.

All i wanted was some thoughts about it with people who have loved Ghost Recon 1.

I did look in the threads at the Frames per second and it doesnt seem like i will be getting the desired 60+FPS on my system. If it was possible to get over 50-60 frames persecond on my system(with super high detail and resolution..) then i would likely buy it... But my specs are only..

CPU: X2 4800 (socket 939=so i have DDR1)

Video Card: Gigabyte X1950 Pro 256 meg

Maybe i will just wait for Call of Duty Modern WarFare.... Then in a few years do a vid card upgrade..

I do like non-realistic as well as realistic shooters but since Ghost Recon 1 was really realistic... and people say that tom clancy has washed down its hardcore realism... maybe i will not go for it.. even though the newer ones would be more realistic than any Call of Duty. I dont plan on seeing Tom Clancy Games going back to thier roots...... I want another body snatching game, soul switching... it was the only thing that made the Tom Clancy games stand out like a unique game to me. (besides unprecedented realism)

i was just thinking about it for a little while.. and while reading other reviews and to myself i thought its just another shooter game.

However there is over 100 hours of gameplay in the [Ghost Recon]..(with the expansions) So i am happy.

i guess i am just replying to say this thread is over.

Maybe i will just wait for Call of Duty Modern WarFare.... Then in a few years do a vid card upgrade..

From what Ive seen... that game will be more taxing on your system than GRAW2. Could be wrong... but something to watch for.

.. even though the newer ones would be more realistic than any Call of Duty. I dont plan on seeing Tom Clancy Games going back to thier roots......

I believe that Call of Duty4 -MW has a new mode called hardcore,I guess that this mode is designed with realism in mind, in this mode you have no hud blank screen, just you and your gun, the bullets do a lot more damage, one shot one kill.

Sound interesting.

Source: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/20974.html