GRAW2 dying?

I JUST shut down GRAW2 and I must say, Where is everyone? there are like 20-30 servers with 0/32 or 0/24. Is anyone REALLY playing? this game is only a couple weeks old and none is playing. what gives? well if you say the European servers are empty bcz people are sleeping. ok- what about the US ones? there are a few but I'm really getting the impression that not many are playing.

is it bcz of the lack of mod tools?

is it bcz of the boredom of the same maps?

:hmm:

I don't know but a new game such as this usually is busy as hell.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the demo you were hard pressed to find a server with room, they had to put up more servers to handle all the players Even some of the guys from GRIN threw up a few servers. I don't really understand it either, everybody that I have talked to about GRAW2 say they love it or at least like it enough to buy it. Maybe all those people who claimed they would never buy another UBI game finally held to their word after Lockdown, Vegas, Double Agent, Silent Hunter to name a few. I really think GRAW2 is a great game and playing Recon vs. Assault with and against competent players it is FANTASTIC! It's been along time since a video game has made me feel some sort of suspense.

Maybe all those people who claimed they would never buy another UBI game finally held to their word after Lockdown, Vegas, Double Agent, Silent Hunter to name a few.

Thats probably close to the mark.

Personally I never got into GRAW and played [GR] when it first came out.

I have only just picked up a copy of GRAW2 and only then because I happened to ask a friend what he was currently playing, other than that I didnt even know the game was in existance.

Im happy playing the SP, I will give MP a go in a few weeks - providing there is any servers or anyone left to play against by then. 0:)

I'll chime in from the COOP point of view. I think 12 man coop is in a holding pattern if not going down slowly at this point.

There are several things in coop that many people feel are a step backwards from GRAW1. The biggest thing that it has going for it is potential from a scripting standpoint and perhaps server stability and resource impact on the CPU (it still EATS RAM for a light lunch however). Other than that, there is not much directly related to COOP that is positive or better than GRAW1. Lack of weapon customization, no squads, no spawning on leader, lack of editor, no server MOTD's visible while in the server, and others that I specifically mentioned in the COOP feedback thread.

Right now, I know I have tapered off playing because I'm completely bored with the 3 maps that are available. With no editor there currently is no option for players to not "play out" what we have very quickly. I will probably turn to playing some campaign coop to see how that turns out to be for a change and to see if I can keep playing. Other than that, I'm starting to loose some interest and from a variety standpoint, I'm considering taking down the GRAW2 server and putting the GRAW 1 coop server back up.

I know GRAW2 has alot of potential for varying maps once the editor hits. That is the single thing that will make it or break it for coop players. Given the changes from GRAW1 and reduction in player choice, I'm not even sure if multiple objectives will be enough. Regardless, the editor needs to hit soon or people are going to be moving on to other games just like they did with GRAW 1.

Now, I'm NOT trying to be controversial. I'm just speaking off the top of my head when I was trying to find a game.

I'm kinda disheartened because I'd REALLY love to be able to make COOP maps. or map coop campaign maps even.

I'm kinda surprised by a huge drop off of players recently. :huh:

I think more people are playing the full version then were the Demo. GR:AW 2 is a great tactical shooter for people who cant stand "spray and pray". At the same time though, people who like spray and pray probably wont like this game...haha or they'll just run around with the GL... The abundance of server's is actually a good sign. It shows that a lot of clans/people are buying into this game. I was one of those people who swore never to buy another pile of ubicrap...I did buy into when i found out that GRIN was totally behind this game. Although a lot of people in my clan still refuse to buy it because of Ubi's name on the box...

I've also noticed that for many clans (mine included) and pub's drop off their playing time during the summer. A lot of people return home from school or on vacation's with their families. With families being said not everyone can run out and buy this game. Fifty dollars might seem like nothing to some people but to others it just doesnt fit into their budget or priority list. Especially after purchasing UBI's previous failures (Vegas, Lockdown & GRAW [decent after 1gig in patches]).

Another contributor is probably the need for a decent gaming a rig. A lot of people bought GR:AW 1 and Vegas to be shocked by huge system hogs (boo! on ports). So that stigma is probably still with UBI and their recent Tom Clancy series of games. Even though this game runs a lot smoother and better.

So when you sit back and look at everything GR:AW 2 is stacked up against. I think its doing pretty well.

Without the mod tools this game is going to die a quick death... SP turned out to be less of a challenge than I thought, and am I correct in understanding there are 3 MP maps only? (I'm an SP player so help a fella out if I get that wrong).

For once I find the game might (**MIGHT**) have potential... and now there's no content... or not enough of it.

We need a patch in the next 30-45 days:

1) Fix the annoying bugs that have been reported to death here on GR.net

2) Add some kind of end-user-friend UI that will allow mod activation / deactivation ala' [GR]

3) Release the mod / script tools like we've been promised

4) Turn our fellow MadModders loose to start whipping up some serious goodness for us

Here's a call... if we don't see the first three items taken care of before October 1, we never will. It's nearly August 1... that give Ubi/GRiN 60 days... about 75 days from release. I pray I'm wrong but my gut tells me we're going to get screwed on this...

-jk

callsign threepoint

Without the mod tools this game is going to die a quick death... SP turned out to be less of a challenge than I thought, and am I correct in understanding there are 3 MP maps only? (I'm an SP player so help a fella out if I get that wrong).

I would love to prove you wrong but there is in fact only 3 maps for 12 man COOP.

If I remember correctly there may have been 4 or 5 for GRAW.

We have basically stopped playing it until there is some meat on the bone.

Right now there are 5 people on our GRAW server that I can see.

Without maps or content you will be correct. It will be dead in months.

I quit playing graw2 last week. Just have to wait for the patch and hopefully they will address all the major issues.

I quit playing graw2 last week. Just have to wait for the patch and hopefully they will address all the major issues. That remains to be seen.

am I correct in understanding there are 3 MP maps only?

If I remember correctly there may have been 4 or 5 for GRAW.
GR:AW- It took until v1.16 for the all of the campaign maps to be included...v1.30 added the new game type [GR] Co-Op w/3 stock maps

GR:AW2- Full campaign Co-Op and 3 [GR] Co-Op maps out of the box.

So at least in this regard they are ahead of the curve.

Well, one major thing to consider is that Enemy Territory Quake Wars is on the cusp of release also, with an open beta available. most of the comp teams i know of have been anticipating this games release for about a year. We were a part of the closed beta and tbh, while team hot has two teams competing in a beta league till its released, a bunch of us switched to graw2 as it was just a better game imo. There are several teams that have given up BF2 altogether to practice for the games release as there will be a world tournament for ETQW (top 1000 teams from round the world) Point being, alot of people saw ETQW as the game to consolidate the CSS and BF2 comp communities which comprise twenty thousand or so players and many other casual gamers have been eager for a new fps and have looked to quake as the solution. I hope for all our sakes that this community is vibrant and is just starting to grow.

Edited by Lnwlf

The numbers on the servers is correct it is low, as opposed to a week ago.

Many people try and complete the sp campaign but this has bugs in so this slows things down.

There are also connection issues and server dropes.

Some of the server xml files are still being tweaked and still crash.

Coop is very popular but only three maps.

Coop campaign is popular but only 4 players and some of the private servers are configured incorrectly etc.

I notice the quality servers with good pings are full most nights.

Ladders are lacking game stabillity is lacking these 2 things will slow any real online activity.

A patch and laddering needs to be a major priority and the file info to increase 4 players to 6 which I have heard can be done.

Also the coop maps need increased.

I dont think the game is dying its just it was not complete on release which is bad for online play.

i've been playing almost every night, coop/campaign coop and while looking at servers i noticed the high pings above 1000 for some

with graw i used to go to BDA ever once in a while but when i look at the server pings for bda or other american servers they are almost always above 1000, this discurages me to go there, so it would others i think.

don't know about pings and playability but it can be some of the cause...

as for coop and campaing, our server (home hosted) always has people joining and often new people, sometimes up to 9 or 10 when normal coop

I JUST shut down GRAW2 and I must say, Where is everyone? there are like 20-30 servers with 0/32 or 0/24. Is anyone REALLY playing? this game is only a couple weeks old and none is playing. what gives? well if you say the European servers are empty bcz people are sleeping. ok- what about the US ones? there are a few but I'm really getting the impression that not many are playing.

is it bcz of the lack of mod tools?

is it bcz of the boredom of the same maps?

:hmm:

I don't know but a new game such as this usually is busy as hell.

Chris, like Colin said and the main problem is content is thin, the lack of the tools (if any) including editor has knocked everyone for six (cold). Where hope lay in the release of tutorials & editor there now is speculation and disappointment filling in.

The modding community are twiddling their thumbs and the players are going around on their map loop looking for the new map exit. Ubi missed judged the release and drive the community had at release, now it's on simmer.

I made a study the other week and you are spot on, GRAW1 had a 100-200 player base using it during a seven day period in general online. GRAW2 has 200-400 max using it at the moment in general online. Yesterday there was around 200, which between some 30 online servers means around 6-7 have players to capacity and the rest none.

So as you concluded, it is part boredom, as the maps are small and the selection thin. the main reason online play is alive is because some maps are very good, others (fort) are poor. No mod tools means no new maps, no new ideas, no tutorials, means no help to create new modes, new ideas.

GRAW PC will never move forward if the tools don't arrive and better late than never, might be too late.... lets hope not. ;)

viii

john

Servers unstable for matching? i think not.

They are ready. Only downside is you have to down your server, and change xml's for a match. ours is stable up to 20 players on a 768 up connection. The servers that are not stable are running the net speed at 3000 which also means MAXIMUM physics in SYNC. Turn it down and stability comes.

Now someone please get a North American Ladder going before all these clans that have server up go south.

I thought TWL was making a ladder ? I spoke to TuG and they said to that effect. And why a N. American ladder? communist :rofl: j/k

I think "capitalist" would be more correct. :)

But your point is well taken... the gaming community is a GLOBAL community now...

-jk