An example of Super AI

On the dam mission I sighted two watchtower guards, both facing away from me. I was well out, against the rock face leaning out, with another rock outcrop and also the pipeline between me and the watchtower, in otherwords, I was hardly sitting out in the middle of the road.

After dropping the top guard, the bottom guard managed to turn 180, get a bead on me, and fire off two rounds, both on target (ie. me), all in the second it took me to lower my aim a fraction. :o=

4Mb DivX Movie

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AI, whether scientific, trying to get computers to act human etc. or Game AI is a real ######. PC's don't have the speed nor abilities to act like the human brain or game AI to act like humans. some have done quite well though.

We may never be completely pleased with Game AI as there are astronomical computations to think about.

GRAW2 seems to make me think that the Game AI badguys are REALLY high strung on crack cocaine. <_<

On the dam mission I sighted two watchtower guards, both facing away from me. I was well out, against the rock face leaning out, with another rock outcrop and also the pipeline between me and the watchtower, in otherwords, I was hardly sitting out in the middle of the road.

After dropping the top guard, the bottom guard managed to turn 180, get a bead on me, and fire off two rounds, both on target (ie. me), all in the second it took me to lower my aim a fraction. :o=

4Mb DivX Movie

After so many years of [GR] I still wonder, to this day, how a half-literate amateur like most of the [GR] tangos were supposed to be, could pop me with a single round of a dusty, low-maintenance AK-47, from a range that seemed like 1000 yards. :)

Seriously, after playing 9 missions I am tempted to agree that the AI doesn't seem to be the problem per se, but it seems as though the AI tangos don't get penalized for distance. Rocky's scenario would hold more water if the distance were something less than 10 football fields. :)

-jk

After so many years of [GR] I still wonder, to this day, how a half-literate amateur like most of the [GR] tangos were supposed to be, could pop me with a single round of a dusty, low-maintenance AK-47, from a range that seemed like 1000 yards. :)

This is why I am asking, has AI really come on at all since 2001? They're still pulling the same stunts as they did in GR1.

I don't see the AI doing anything different, or better, than they did in GR1. I'd just love it for whoever developed the AI used in GRAW2 to jump in and explain how clever the AI routines are, because when the lead starts flying in the game, it just looks like same old same old, or in some places, worse. Maybe I'll need to play the campaign through again on a setting other than Hardcore?

There's another thread on AI here, but we'll keep this one running seperate as this one is only about the enemy AI.

It's a crap-shoot.

Either the Banditos can track, target,and engage you through multiple obstructions or they will swat at flys and take no notice as their buddys drop (like flys) around them.

I'd be happy with the Mean average.

yep i think i know whats happening the ppl that get u on MP and on SP have HUUGE monitors so they stare at every pixel and then get their eyes burnt out from the radiation you see, ubisoft is really just sending their employees to play agianst you they take their noobs and give em to u and they take their uber nerds and pit em against you while u THINK its the AI..this is a completely false story but something to pass the time

I did this mission on hardcore and have a perfect score for it on the net(don't play sp)STATthe other guys did die and respawn I can't say that I did it first time but with no respawn ...didn't find that hard to do.They should be better than that cause in GRAW [GR] they're dam good on hardcore level.The AI reaction is better in the other type of coop mp they called it to replace [GR] coop in GRAW,12 players.It is more tuff to do those with no respawn die fast cause the ai is aiming your head one shot you dead and it's the same when you shoot them in the head 'one shot'.Can't wait to do some coop maps as soon as I get tools.Man some will ouin!ouin! cause I will push this baby to his limit.I just fell in love with this game...mean that need more maps fast.Leave Ai as it is cause if you make them zombie...I do no maps and return mapping GRAW.

he's fast :)

but i thought you would like the [GR] kinda feel back ? j/k

i'v seen worse btw. but that would most likely be a bug or sync error

AI fires the wrong way yet still hits me(campaign coop full server and coop 12 players not dedi server)

Over all the AI is a thousand times better IMO. There have been some instances where you get the super AI and they do put on a challenge. But a guy that I play with said that when he was in vietnam this sort of stuff reallyed happened. Some guys couldnt hit the brawd side of a barn, and other guys were soo accuret it was unbelieveable he said. Its good though. I like this set of AI alot better than the original graw. But I would take farcrys ai over these guys anyday :)

Over all the AI is a thousand times better IMO. There have been some instances where you get the super AI and they do put on a challenge. But a guy that I play with said that when he was in vietnam this sort of stuff reallyed happened. Some guys couldnt hit the brawd side of a barn, and other guys were soo accuret it was unbelieveable he said. Its good though. I like this set of AI alot better than the original graw. But I would take farcrys ai over these guys anyday :)

Explain how it is a thousand times better, or even just a little better. I'm interested to hear all opinions, but please back them up.

Well, watched the video, and shure, hes fast, but the sniper shure took his time popping the second guard.

Anyway, what I really dislike is that even though there are shooting all over the place guards just contionus to wander around like nothing is happening. And also after they started firing at you they continue to track you through walls and building until they run out of ammo. So if you peep around a corner and someone starts firing at you they will continue to track you with bullits even if you run around the house.

Explain how it is a thousand times better, or even just a little better. I'm interested to hear all opinions, but please back them up.

Well if you want to talk about super sights, playing graw1 on hardcore was way bad. The enemy AI could see you through 10 layers of trees high up.. There reaction time was unhuman, and over all knowing of where you were was pathetic. I felt like I couldnt sneak around at all against the ai in graw1. Now they dont have that super human sense, even though every now and then I do get a few of the badguys that are redic. There are some cases, like your case there, but for the most part, if your slow enough in this one, and quiet enough, they wont find you. Yeah, they are alittle dumb at times, but for the most part they will hunt you down, they will lay fire on you and rush you, they will take cover, and they arn't by any means super humans that they were in the first one. The amount of time that a guy needed in the first one to turn around, aim at you and fire was under a half a second. Well it seemed like that atleast. I was very unlucky I guess, but was it harder than ever to scout an area, and see how many guys were around before I had ot start shooting them. This one I feel I can do that. The only thing I do wish was, that they reacted alittle more to there buddies being shot than they do now. Its either all the way one way *you shoot them, and everyone spawned knows where you are* or all the way the other way when you shoot them *they dont even flintch*. Its different if yuo are spotted. Stuff like that to me makes it feel alot better than before.

Again, yeah im sure you run into the super humans alot, but to me thats ok.

And also after they started firing at you they continue to track you through walls and building until they run out of ammo. So if you peep around a corner and someone starts firing at you they will continue to track you with bullits even if you run around the house.

Yes, that does really annoy me. It takes right right out of the game, the immersion just goes out the window.

Yeah, they are alittle dumb at times, but for the most part they will hunt you down, they will lay fire on you and rush you, they will take cover..

That's my point though, we had all that 6 years ago in GR1, what has improved? Honestly, someone post up what has improved with the AI in GR since GR1. This thread has already pointed out two pretty damning flaws in GRAW AI we never saw in the original, so let's balance it up - what does the enemy AI in GRAW2 do better?

The enemy AI on hardcore level does display unbelievable accuracy, and completely unbelievable "reaction times." The first few times I tried COOP I actually thought I was dying because my weapon had blown up when I fired it... it didn't seem possible that the AI could have heard my gunfire, looked for me, found me and shot me in 0.05 seconds.

Overall, I like the AI... but I really wish SOMEONE would design an enemy AI where "hardcore" meant their tactical ability was really good, rather than just astounding accuracy and reaction times. I'm happy with the way the game has moved forward in so many areas, and I understand that AI is really hard to get right.... but this one simple ideal is surely worth aiming for:

---increased difficuly level for a "tactical shooter" should mean that the enemy AI has better tactical abilities while retaining human-like accuracy and reaction times.

Edit: this is NOT a dig at GRIN or GRAW2, but gaming in general. I love this game, and am very happy with my purchase. After reading Rocky's comments and thinking about them and my [GR] experiences, though, it is clear that enemy AI has not progressed realistically in the last 5-6 years. I'm just stating what I personally believe is the "holy grail of enemy AI" to aim towards.

Edited by Trident-za

---increased difficuly level for a "tactical shooter" should mean that the enemy AI has better tactical abilities while retaining human-like accuracy and reaction times.

Exactly, Hardcore shouldn't mean impossible feats and sixth sense prevail, a huge part of the GR series is realism and immersion - the second an AI does a 180 and shoots you in the head over a long distance, that immersion is lost.

For example, I replayed that scene from my movie again today - this time it was worse. From the same vantage point, I leaned out and scoped the lookouts same as the movie, but this time, they both turned around and immediately started firing on my position! I had not made a single noise, nothing that could justify them turning 180 and looking me in the eye in a split second. :wacko: Never saw that in GR. In GR they had to see or hear you.