Ghost Recon.net Forums
Ruin

Ruin Enlists

Good luck Ruin.

Congrat's and good luck! :thumbsup:

For those of us who don't speak US Military, what will you be doing as a cav scout?

Thanks to all of you. TRC (good to see you. :) )

To answer Dickie:

As a Scout, my primary mission is to be the eyes and ears of the general on the battlefield. We report enemy troop movement, numbers, armament, and location back to the command for decision making.

However, given the evolving battlefield and current insurgent style warfare, scouts are a part of a Combined Arms Battallion (like mine - 1-120CAB). We are trained to do everything from reconnaissance, prisoner security, convoy security, kicking in doors, traveling and operating as mech infantry, serving as members of a guard post... basically, the best description as it's put to me is: Cav Scouts are the Swiss Army knives of the US Army.

Sounds like an interesting role :)

Is this a strictly part time (I assume the National Guard is part time, like the TA is here?) thing for you, or do you plan to join the regular army in the future?

Thanks again to everyone. It's nice to have some support, as Whisper said, in this day and in our current state of affairs.

It's good to see some older names (how ya been Firefly?) stopping by and showing support.

I go to my first drill weekend for RSP (Recruit Sustainment Program) this weekend. It's about 30 minutes away from here. We'll be doing land navigation. What a great starting lesson for a future Scout huh? I'll report back Sunday PM or Monday AM.

Thanks again to everyone for their support.

Right on Ruin. service is a privilege. look up "Ia Drang" and read about it. situations like the Ia Drang battle remind me how honorable it was to serve. now you're a soldier Ruin ,you're a real brother in the soldier sense. :thumbsup:

Congrats!

about the land navigation, make sure you're pace count is right on. if you get lost don't panic and don't forget your panic azimuth, usually the NCO in charge will have established a panic azimuth should you get lost. but I hardly think you will. ;)

Edited by Papa6

Dickie,

The National Guard (ARNG) is part time. I, upon return from Ft. Knox and after Battle Hand-Off to my "home" unit from RSP, will drive 8 hours one weekend a month, and will go to summer training at any base for two weeks out of the summer. I can be called to active duty by the President or my State Governor. As far as active duty after college, I don't know. It depends on how things turn out. If I do, however, I will apply for OCS to receive a commission.

Papa6,

Unfortunately for my first drill I didn't get to do Land Nav. Had to go through the necessary BS to introduce me to the Army. Yay. And I'll look up Ia Drang