Building New System

Rocky - I built for crysis... feed it to me LOL (not sure if i'll like it for MP but will be fun as SP to mess with)

Firefly. Post your cpu temps when you get it assembled. The 2 with the new quad core steppings I assmebled here at work sat at 22 degrees celcius at idle!! with air stock cooling and a thermal take armor jr case only. They hit around 30C testing on the GRAW2 SP demo.

My previous stepping quad which still rocks... idles at around 30C and goes to 39 during high gaming. Still rocks though.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost ready to press the button. Phew, this is hard work. My hands hurt from all the thumb screws. :wacko:

The Zalman CPU cooler is HUGE, this is the biggest and strangest designed cooler I've ever seen. It was almost impossible to install, I hope I did it right.... pictures don't even do it justice. :D

OMG... Windows XP can't recognize that my drive is larger than 131 GB, I guess this is a size restriction because it doesn't have any service packs on it. Guess I'll have to slipstream a CD w/SP2 on it. Good thing I have another computer sitting here. I feel kinda blasphemous doing it on Linux though. ;)

edit: Oh great, I can't.

"In DOS: Type the name of the service pack followed by '-x' and press enter."

Edited by firefly2442

OMG... Windows XP can't recognize that my drive is larger than 131 GB, I guess this is a size restriction because it doesn't have any service packs on it. Guess I'll have to slipstream a CD w/SP2 on it. Good thing I have another computer sitting here. I feel kinda blasphemous doing it on Linux though. ;)

edit: Oh great, I can't.

"In DOS: Type the name of the service pack followed by '-x' and press enter."

That sucks, gotta get one of those disks with SP1 already on it (hooray for OEM Dell disks, not that I would ever install one of those Windows XP versions on another computer.... :ph34r: )

@Rocky, you gotta make your own thread tthat will end up being 15 pages long, and as for building for Crysis, I always, always wait for reviews before I do something like build a computer for a game ;)

@Rocky, you gotta make your own thread tthat will end up being 15 pages long, and as for building for Crysis, I always, always wait for reviews before I do something like build a computer for a game ;)

I have no idea what you mean *cough* soldner *cough*

Really though, it's not just Crysis, this P4 is starting to look a bit long in the tooth considering dual core has been out so long, and I don't even have a PCI-E mobo.

P4? Pfffft. Please. Got nothing on my Athlon 2600+

Without the humor, I do agree with Kama. Might be easier to start your own thread and get more specific advice. Being that you are the bossman, shouldn't be too hard to get.

Firefly. Post your cpu temps when you get it assembled. The 2 with the new quad core steppings I assmebled here at work sat at 22 degrees celcius at idle!! with air stock cooling and a thermal take armor jr case only. They hit around 30C testing on the GRAW2 SP demo.

Wow Roco, what kind of fans do those cases have? Also, what temp monitoring software are you using?

I am running my Core 2 Duo with stock heatsink/fan with just the PSU fan and getting mid-high 40C's in an aluminum case.

Yeah, the wiring is absolutely awful. Next time I go home for break I'll bring the machine with me and get some help rewiring it. It's difficult with all the wires and the video card being so big. Plus, the SATA pins on the motherboard are horizontal which is kinda weird. I'm sure they did it to save space but it's a big annoyance when you're trying to plug stuff in. I've got some nice plastic zip ties at home that I can use.

Nice build firefly. How did you like the size of that GTX... LOL... i was like OMG!!!

CR6

Used Nvidia Ntune for temp monitoring. My older stepping quad sits at 39 degrees C with a stock fan at room temp.

The newer ones are cooler (new stepping quad). At room temp (not hot like firefly said his was), his would probably sit at closer to 23C on idle. My system sits at 37 C

I'll post some pictures if i ever get my room cleaned up of my setup. LOL!

@firefly2442, there are these plastic retention clips you could buy like 10-20 pcs $5-8/per bag that you can anchor your wires to inside the cases. It's a lot of trial & error. Then you could further add black tie-downs, cable clips,wire looms,etc...

cable management ideas

cable management accessories

wire clips from RadioShack

nice case btw. :thumbsup:

more guides...

here's a thread on cable management competition

Watdahell...just copy how these guys got their management done. :o

Attn to any guys building a new gaming machine for Crysis or newer games, using newer parts:

---if you ever decide to follow those guys cable management via drilling holes on the case, would it be possible for you to do a video or photo-tutorial on how you did your?

---or those who are Overclocking, or "stepping"---I've yet looked that up in Wikipedia 0:) could you guys do a step-by-step guide.

---Or anyone building a Core 2 or Dual Core...a nice guide would be awesome for the rest of us to follow. :yes:

Maybe Rocky or Admins can make your build a sticky thread.

We need a more current sticky build guide in here.

WK build guide is getting old unfortunately. :(

Attn to any guys building a new gaming machine for Crysis or newer games, using newer parts:

---if you ever decide to follow those guys cable management via drilling holes on the case, would it be possible for you to do a video or photo-tutorial on how you did your?

---or those who are Overclocking, or "stepping"---I've yet looked that up in Wikipedia 0:) could you guys do a step-by-step guide.

---Or anyone building a Core 2 or Dual Core...a nice guide would be awesome for the rest of us to follow. :yes:

Maybe Rocky or Admins can make your build a sticky thread.

We need a more current sticky build guide in here.

WK build guide is getting old unfortunately. :(

Well I can't do much about the first one, as mine are already situated just dandy like (I didn't drill any holes, but granted mine doesn't look quite as good as their's but still not to bad.

As for the secondd one, "Overclocking" and "stepping" are not the same thing, a "stepping" is a type of serial number for a chip, and certain "serial numbers" which some people call steppings overclock better than others. An example of this is the "G0" stepping for the Core 2 Quad 6600, which overclocks better than the previous stepping for that processor the "B3". And overclocking is the act of raising the speed of any component of your computer, you can overclock CPU, Graphics Cards, and even RAM.

Here is probably the best guide I have found for overclocking, really gives a good groundwork when it comes to the terminology used in the "overclocking world". http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/91-ul...king-guide.html

WK's build guide is actually quite good still when it comes to the physical building portion, which has changed very little, granted the components are slightly outdated, but still a very quality guide. I feel that it is actually better, if you are interested in building your own PC, for everybody to just start their own thread here in the forums so that everybody gets personalized help, obviously other people's threads will be great for gathering some info on things, but if you make your own thread you can get your own specific questions answered by those more knowledgeable in such things.

Hope I answered a few questions, and sorry firefly for taking your thread so far off-topic.

Ohhhhh myyyyyyyy

Supreme Commander on full settings......

edit: DOH! SC just froze on me! :(

Ok, this is weird. I'm playing SC, then I alt tab out, and check my temps.

CPU: 32 C

MB: 37 C

Is it possible it thinks the MB is actually the CPU and vice-versa? I've had that happen before where it gets confused and switches the two.

Edited by firefly2442

Yeah, the wiring is absolutely awful. Next time I go home for break I'll bring the machine with me and get some help rewiring it. It's difficult with all the wires and the video card being so big.

:o I think I spent more time on cable arrangement than I did on building my PC and I even used a modular PS. Not the funnest part of PC building. :(

Firefly

LOL thost temps are correct

The new quad with the big fan you got actually will sit cooler then the mainboard. Remember the mainboard doesn't use a fan but a heatpipe to get it to the exhaust fan. The north bridge is also located near your Video card.

37 though is still cool for a chipset that uses aircooling.

Oh and if you haven't yet... off nvidia's site... make sure you get the latest nforce and also NTUNE

NTUNE will give you a lot of temp readings including your video card.