Mission 9: Codename Farallon

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you suppossed to kill teh 2 choppers with nothing but a rifle?

Kit out correctly, you would be carrying the Zeus !! and every time you die you get another one for free, also you need a team mate to carry one too.

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me how they took down the two helicopters on the dam in mission 9 after blowing the EMP?

I take down one easily with my missile and have hit the second with an RPG to no effect, (yet it smokes up easily from my team's small arms fire), but I can't finish it off.

My team won't use their default equipped missiles?? Why do they bother giving them to the team in the first place if they won't use them?? I can't order them to use them in anyway as far as I can tell. I can't take the missiles from them as far as I can tell. I must be missing something here. I run out of ammo using all the weapons laying around on the ground when I just try to shoot it down although I can get a second smoke trail out of the target.

I also get bugs with the three rpgs in the fourth tower. I can at best only use two of the three there, and sometimes only one as when I pick up the second it sometimes bugs and shows it as being empty after I pick it up. Before I patched the game I couldn't use any as after loading my saved game I couldn't even pick them up. I'm just wondering if this has anything to do with my inability to take these choppers down. I've had no problems with anything in the game to this point. All pretty straight forward and this is driving me nuts!

Cheers in advance,

Squashed8ball

-----------SPOILERS MISSION 9 AHEAD----------

Yeah they wouldn't use their ZEUS for me either, so my advice is, split them up on the bridge good. So that the chopper takes out one Ghost MAX with a rocket-strike, because they at least use their rifles. And for the 2nd heli, shoot at it with everything you've got, when you are out of ammo, run for rifles of the dead mercenaries and continue firing!

I love this map, this part is so intense when you play it in SP because you are moving, firing and still have to watch out for your team and yourself. In Coop it is less exciting because you kill them both at approach, or don't gear up the ZEUS and have fun killing both choppers with rifles only.

But to get back to you, keep firing with everything you have got and try to keep your Ghosts alive, 1st because they are also shooting, 2nd they draw fire while you are walking around looking for ammo. :)

Be patient, because once the chopper is done, it goes down Black Hawk Down-style - Awesome!

Thanks man,

I was worried this might be the solution cause I keep running out of ammo despite picking up all the guns I can find. A lot of them seem to disappear at my save point, I might just have to go back and do it over from an earlier point. My team has been spread out fairly well to cover the assault from the dropped in troops and truck so I'll just try to be more accurate with my ammo and make every shot count!

The helicopters have to be marked with a red diamond to be able to order your squadmates to attack it. So wait for the choppers to come close enough to mark them (hear the blip sound), and then order your men to attack. They should fire at them with the zeus if they're in position. It took me about four tries to have both helos shot down by my team (I used up my zeus earlier).

Yah!!

I finally worked out why I was running out of ammo. It has to be close enough to you with the diamond tag lit up for the small arms fire to take any effect!!!!!

I was mostly taking careful aim in a crouching position and shooting at it when it pulled up momentarily to take aim and launch rockets. It was always out of range at this time! So I was doing nothing to it!

It went down really fast and easily once I worked this out!

I ZEUS'd one myself and ordered one of my ghosts to "Attack" the other one as soon as it had a diamond on it which he did using a Zeus.

No difficulty doing it that way.

The RPG didn't appear to do anything to the troop helo so I'd guess it wouldn't scratch the attack helos.

The RPG didn't appear to do anything to the troop helo so I'd guess it wouldn't scratch the attack helos.

The RPG is weaker then the Zeus. Often takes 2 RPG to destroy stuff the Zeus can take in 1 round.

Also, some helicopters can't be shoot down as they are animated sequences. Helicopter at the journalist location a few missions before this one is an example of such.

This mission is insanely difficult. The 2 choppers are impossible to kill. I used up my zeus earlier and only one other TM has a zeus. I order him to use it, and he takes down one chopper. The other chopper never goes down. Seriously, I shot 5 boxes of ammo with the HK LMG into that thing and it still pwns me and my team. Strangely, it starts smoking really easily but doesnt seem to take any damage after it starts smoking. I was so frustrated I slammed my keyboard and the space bar is all sticky.

This mission is insanely difficult. The 2 choppers are impossible to kill. I used up my zeus earlier and only one other TM has a zeus. I order him to use it, and he takes down one chopper. The other chopper never goes down. Seriously, I shot 5 boxes of ammo with the HK LMG into that thing and it still pwns me and my team. Strangely, it starts smoking really easily but doesnt seem to take any damage after it starts smoking. I was so frustrated I slammed my keyboard and the space bar is all sticky.

You shouldn't need to use your Zeus on anything else but the attack helicopters on this map.

But, notice that there are 3 RPG in the most western tower on the dam... Not guided but 1-2 or them will take down a helicopter depending on where it hits. :shifty:

I used my zeus to take out the transport chopper right after I placed the EMP charge. I tried the RPG but that doesn't even seem to phase him. He didn't even start smoking :P

I did complete the mission. I put all my ghosts in the room with the EMP bomb so they would be safe (except for the guy with the Zeus). Took the first chopper down with his zeus, told him to go inside with the others, and zipped around the dam taking shots at the heli. I went thru 1 LMG and 4 assault rifles to take the thing down.

I think I found out this too late, but I'm guessing the choppers don't take damage from your shots when they are far away. Only shoot when they are close enough that you get a red diamond on your HUD

I think I found out this too late, but I'm guessing the choppers don't take damage from your shots when they are far away. Only shoot when they are close enough that you get a red diamond on your HUD

True. Weapons have limited range to avoid calculations on bullets outside the normal clipping range, which is the same as the max tagging range.

The three RPG's in the 4th tower are useless on this mission, ignore them. Only one or two of them will actually have ammo when picked up anyway. I don't know if its a bug of the game or not, but they appear to have a rocket in them when picked up, yet most of the time they show no ammo, and when put back down, they dont have the rocket in them anymore.

The best way to quickly and easily defeat the two helicopters is to use your teammate properly. Your default load-out should include the Zeus, if you have changed it, you might need to restart the level and equip yourself with the zeus, but that requires you replay the entire mission again... and its a tough mission! Before you start this mission make sure you and at least one other of your teammates have the Zeus. I actaully outfitted all three of my other guys with the Zeus, just to have backup in case one of them got killed.

Getting your teammate to actually shoot the chopper is the tricky part. First, they will not shoot from inside a tower or bunker, get one of them out on the dam, in the open. Next, select the team member, and pick 'attack' from the menu, and aim directly at the chopper you want him to kill. Then clik the 'attack' button. If the chopper isn't in range or there is some obstruction, you will get the 'denied' tone. Otherwise, your teammate will inform you 'roger taking the shot' or something to that effect. He will switch weapons to the zeus and as soon as he gets a lock, he will shoot and destroy that second chopper.

I must have tried every method to get the damn RPG's to switch properly and show up in my hands with ammo, only 5 or 6 times did two of them show up loaded, and was able to shoot the second chopper with both RPG rounds. Still didn't kill it. You really need that second zeus shot from a teammate to kill it, or you will be stuck there on the dam scrounging ammo and weapons for a long, long time. I've even tossed grenades at it a few times, lol.

I must have tried every method to get the damn RPG's to switch properly and show up in my hands with ammo, only 5 or 6 times did two of them show up loaded, and was able to shoot the second chopper with both RPG rounds. Still didn't kill it. You really need that second zeus shot from a teammate to kill it, or you will be stuck there on the dam scrounging ammo and weapons for a long, long time. I've even tossed grenades at it a few times, lol.

Two RPG shoots kills the attack helicopters if you truly hit them.

We are aware of the RPG ammo thing, and it has to do with quicksaves after they have spawned in, but is rare. Avoid such saves if possible.