Ghost Recon.net Forums

thinking of building

@Jester,

Just go off work here...some of us work ya know... ;)

Anyway, your system looks fine. A couple questions/suggestions though:

1: Are you planning to overclock at all? I am asking this because if so, I'd suggest purchasing a high-quality DDR module, like Corsair XMS, Nanya, or Muskin. More expensive, but worth the price for stability. If you are not going to overclock, Samsung, Kingston, or any other general RAM will work fine.

2: I have the Audigy 2 (not Plat), and I often get pops or crackles in GR. However, I have not found any other games that do this, and CDs and MP3s sound beautiful on my 4.1. Other than that, I love the Audigy 2.

3: Some manufactures sell their cases with a power supply already installed. Antec is one company that does this, and includes the "Smart Power" Series PSUs. However, if you want a specific line of PSUs, i.e. TruePower, you'll have to buy the case/PSU separately.

4: On the motherboard, NewEgg.com just aquired the new nForce2 chipsets, designed to be compatible with the 400FSB(200TRUE)/Barton core. I believe you can get this model for only a few extra bucks. This way, if you want to upgrade your processor to a Barton later on(with BIOS flash), you won't have to buy another board.

Looks great bro...

DR: Actually, some Antecs (Performance Plus series?) do come with the True Power PSUs and at a great savings.

Sybarite: If you wanted to shell out the money for a Audigy Platinum face plate, it puts all your audio connections on a 5" front panel. You might want to look around, others might have spit something similar out at a cheaper price. Only downside is wires hanging from the front of the PC.

Jester: Could always take a peice of plexiglass, drill the mount holes for all your PC components on it, attach them, then mount it on the wall like a picture :)

I phrased my sentence wrong. What I was referring too was the cheaper case/PSU combos, since Jester mentioned that he didn't want to spend much for a case. But you are correct.

IIRC, the Solution Series Cases/PSU are around $40-$70, the Performance II (which include Smart Power) are $50-$80, and the Performance Plus(with the TruePower) are around $95-$100+.

So, I don't know what you are looking for Jester, but if you really want to spend money, you could get an Aluminum Case with no power supply for around $300+! :lol:

Guest Jester

As stated, I go for simple cases. Function over form. I've actually seen some gorgeous cases, but I'd rather spend the money elsewhere, thanks. :P Next person to joke about it or post pictures of a cardboard box gets banned for life. :devil: I'd rather put that money to use on any of the other items on my list:

I'm not a philanthropist, so I get nothing out of that.  It's all about me, me, me.  Moral of the story is, don't buy any more computer games and save the money to buy a new computer!  Or this, or this, or this, or this, or this, or this.  See, plenty of other things I can, and will, spend my money on.  :devil:

Hmm.....there's also this....

Guest Jester
Just go off work here...some of us work ya know... ;)

Give me a break -- I don't take many days off. I just don't get the opportunity.

1: Are you planning to overclock at all? 

Not with this system.

2: I have the Audigy 2 (not Plat), and I often get pops or crackles in GR.  However, I have not found any other games that do this, and CDs and MP3s sound beautiful on my 4.1.  Other than that, I love the Audigy 2.

It's not just for gaming, for me, but mostly music. Heck, I get pops and crackles now in GR, but I only play it about once every two months, anyway.

3: Some manufactures sell their cases with a power supply already installed.  Antec is one company that does this, and includes the "Smart Power" Series PSUs.  However, if you want a specific line of PSUs, i.e. TruePower, you'll have to buy the case/PSU separately.

Yes, they do. :)

Thanks for the constructive comments. :)

Guest Jester

Seriously, thanks for all the input, everybody. Just keep in mind, everybody's different. I made different choices than some of you would. Everybody has different needs and preferences they need to balance. I couldn't tell you how many systems I've built -- for myself and other people. Honestly, I couldn't tell you because I've lost count. I've built dozens. This is not the machine I would build for my Dad, and it's not the machine I would build for WK. ;)

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Guest Jester
The only case cheap enough for Jester;

Lol, now thats MY kinda csae!

You're walking a thin line, mister -- I'll Ban you for life!!!

uh.....

Rocky' date='Apr 26 2003, 09:40 ]The only case cheap enough for Jester;

sorry about that, Rock....I didn't mean it....I swear, I just spouted off without thinking......please, don't hit me again!!

thanks Ruin-

the splitter worked like a charm on my speakers/headset

... wish there were a way to turn my headset off though :(

(I know, I know... I'm getting picky now.) lol. ;)

I've seen a lot of computers with headphone jacks in the front - how come they don't do the same for the mic?

looks like the sound card you're getting, Jes, is a logical way ta go. :blink:

Seriously, thanks for all the input, everybody. Just keep in mind, everybody's different. I made different choices than some of you would. Everybody has different needs and preferences they need to balance. I couldn't tell you how many systems I've built -- for myself and other people. Honestly, I couldn't tell you because I've lost count. I've built dozens. This is not the machine I would build for my Dad, and it's not the machine I would build for WK. ;)

I think difference in opinion is the reason me and Stinger get into so many arguments :)

Seriously, thanks for all the input, everybody.  Just keep in mind, everybody's different.  I made different choices than some of you would.  Everybody has different needs and preferences they need to balance.  I couldn't tell you how many systems I've built -- for myself and other people.  Honestly, I couldn't tell you because I've lost count.  I've built dozens.  This is not the machine I would build for my Dad, and it's not the machine I would build for WK. ;)

I think difference in opinion is the reason me and Stinger get into so many arguments :)

But never fights, opinions good but not forced opinions :)

thanks Ruin-

the splitter worked like a charm on my speakers/headset

NP Syb, just offering a logical and CHEAP low-tech solution. :)

As for cases, mine was $28 and came with a 350W PS.