Guest Jester

Here's what I'm thinking.....

• MSI K7N2-L Socket A/nForce2/FSB333/DDR400/8X AGP/A&L/ATX Motherboard
  • PC2700 512MB
  • ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128MB
  • Thermaltake Volcano 7
  • AMD Athlon XP-2200 1.8GHz
  • Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum 6.1 PCI Sound Card

With a case and 350w power supply, I can get it all for a little over $600.

You might ask Rocky what he thinks of his 9500 (if he's willing to talk to his jailer ;) ). He had mentioned some problems before. I just installed one, and don't seem to have the problems he did, although the display is plagued with infrequent random jerkiness in GR. (I assume it's the card, cuz my jerky-ness is neither infrequent nor random :D ).

Guest Jester

hmm.....thanks. I'd heard good things about it from other people, but you know how it is -- you'll hear from good to extremely bad about any piece of hardware if you ask enough people.

Guest Jester
(if he's willing to talk to his jailer  ;) )

Hey! I got rid of my Fry Rocky icon and put the Free Rocky one in my sig....granted, I did make the Fry Rocky one and tell everybody they could use it....

:devil:

(if he's willing to talk to his jailer ;) )

I hate to be a stickler for details, but wasn't it Pyro Monty that put Rocky behind bars? <_< Jester is the one to create the Fry Rocky icon, though. :rolleyes:

Guest Jester

Ah, while he may have put him there -- who is keeping him there?

jailer

n : someone who guards prisoners [syn: prison guard, gaoler, screw, turnkey]

n.: One whose responsibility is keeping a jail.

Not bad at all, are you going to part out optical drives and your current HDD then? Same case too eh? Buy an Antec PSU, they're the best. And if you can maybe step the AMD up to a 2400+. The sound can be matched and cheaper if you go with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. I didn't see them on the site but the Altec Lansing (very good mfr.) makes my current 251 5.1 speaker set and it rocks. IIRC its only $100.

NM here it is http://www.alteclansing.com/product_detail...p?pID=251&sID=1

Edited by Stinger

Guest Jester

I have a few hard drives around, but since I posted this, I'm looking at picking up another -- never hurts. Picking up another case and PSU, not using my current. I have tons of parts including cd drives, cd-rws, keyboards, all that junk.

I like the Santa Cruz, but there are features that I want that are part of the Audigy 2 Platinum package -- namely, the drive bay access to all the inputs. I actually considered going up a step to the Audigy 2 Platinum ex, which actually has an external piece that has even more inputs on it. Either one is kind of necessary for me -- I do lots of stuff that requires me to get access to my inputs and with my currenty desk/office set up, that's pretty impractical. I'm not aware of Turtle Beach offering anything similar -- do they?

The 621s are better speakers than the 251s, plus I don't need, or want, the surround sound of the 251s. I can get the 621s for about $30 more.

Guest Jester
The Radeon 9500Pro is a dream. Running full tilt with my 2Ghz 2400+ I get 60FPS on average.

It's absolutley incredibel, go with it! :)

That's what I hear from most folks. It's almost as good as the 9700, but substantially cheaper.

The sound can be matched and cheaper if you go with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. but the Altec Lansing (very good mfr.) makes my current 251 5.1 speaker set and it rocks. IIRC its only $100.

NM here it is http://www.alteclansing.com/product_detail...p?pID=251&sID=1

Stinger- not to hijack Jester's thread... but I've got the turtle beach on this machine & just bought the Altec Lansing 251 speakers - do you use a headset/mic with your system? If so, how the heck did you set it up? I seem to be one input jack short. :wacko:

I'm thinking your speakers, Jester, woulda been a better choice. :( Oh, this machine's got the 8500 all in wonder 128 & I'm pretty happy with it... haven't had the facility to hook up all the options yet though. maybe soon.

Hey- Jes... I've gota cute Lian Li case I'd love ta sell you. :lol: make ya a good deal. ;)

Guest Jester

At this point, I personally think that that card is the best bang for your buck.

I agree -- generally, you're okay with hardware buy the #3 best thing on the market in most categories. With the 9800 out, the price vs. performance on the 9500 is just right. If you go up in performance, the price actually increases at a disproportionate rate to the performance.

Guest Jester
Hey- Jes... I've gota cute Lian Li case I'd love ta sell you. :lol: make ya a good deal. ;)

Only if it's cheaper than the 'absolute cheapest case' that I managed to find online. A case is just a case for me -- with my desk, you can't see it at all, anyway. No point in having something fancy.

Guest Jester
Well the sound options are apparently not for you, I had no idea you were so into sound (I personally gotta have the surround sound).

For me, it's more for recording then for gaming.

1st off if you can't show off your computer then you shouldn't have one. What you need first is a new desk! :P;)

@Syb, IIRC the pink is the one I put my mic in and I put the other end into the Green hole. You'll have to disconnect the speakers to plug in the mic. If that doesn't work tell me and I'll try the ohter way it may be (I get mixed up lots).

Guest Jester
1st off if you can't show off your computer then you shouldn't have one. What you need first is a new desk! :P;)

bah -- show off the computer's capabilities, not the looks! I love my desk. I have a huge work area. I've been working with computers for over 20 years -- I think I can stick with what I like about mine. ;) If I wanted a cool looking case, I'd take a TRS-80 Model III and convert it into my case. Now that would rock!

I'd take a TRS-80 Model III and convert it into my case. Now that would rock!

Jester- OMG! that's hilarious!!!! do you still have one sitting around??? That would be truly awesome!!!!

smodeliii.jpg

Stinger- that's what I was afraid of :( ... i was really hoping to not have to switch plugs. Anyone know if there is anything available to perform a switching without going into the back of my computer each time?

@Syb, its prolly way too long a stretch but if you can get the pink to the back of the computer and leave it and plucg the black into the main little Sattelite speaker then it would work...

That would be interesting, you would be stuck with one heck of a crappy monitor front.jpg

So you have no interest in moddying? This is where the enthusiasts go...

6.jpg

8.jpg

watercooled-006.jpg

front.jpg

7.jpg

12.jpg

If I can get my image linking to work I can show you some even better ones!