Field of view / Widescreen issue

I got a 24" WS CRT on my poor desk and I would like to have some leverage for this 45 kilogram beast.

Do please let people get WS resolutions. Stopping real WS is like capping peoples grafic cards as they are to good, try to sell that idea.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was wondering why i couldn't see as much around a SCAR scope... apparently the game renders a 4:3 aspect images and then zooms in on them to fit the left and right edges. not to mention the kill messages that block out the whole right side, forcing you to sqeeze your viewing angle into like 60 degrees. besides, oon a map like Calavera the vertical angle is just as important as the horizontal, it's not exactly flat.

i really liked the game, but when the awkwardness didn't go away after a few hours i realized i'm not seeing the whole picture. i use 800x600 with the aspect ratio set to 16:10 on my 1920x1200 17 inch laptop LCD. it looks really narrow, both directions.

wish there was a way to switch certain parts of the HUD on and off...

I'd really like to see some GRIN input on this topic and what they intend to do with the full version.

Me too ...

I think all of use would like some GRIN input. In several years time 4:3 will go the way of CRT and we will all be on 16:9 or 16:10 format with the chop chop view which no one likes.

viii

p.s.

(and double cursor syndrome)

As far as the WS issue itself goes, GRin, I've been a fanboy, but this is unacceptable. I didn't buy a widescreen monitor so that I could see less. Please fix it. If this is NOT a temporary fix for some problem you guys are trying to work out, if this is actually how you intend the game to be, you have made a mistake. One of the complaints about GRAW was that the field of view felt too cramped. This has made that issue worse for widescreen players. Please fix it. It's a major flaw.

As for everyone else and the "how to balance the playing field" question, that's very easy -- you don't. A widescreen monitor is a piece of hardware that some of us bought for the game. Players can balance the playing field by buying a WS monitor. Can't afford it? Well, some people can't afford anything other than $80 for a graphics card. I don't hear anyone complaining that those of us with high-end cards have an unfair advantage for which the playing field must be balanced.

Should everyone have to play at 600x800 so that people who can run at 1600 x 1200 don't have an unfair advantage in identifying targets at a distance? NO

Should everyone's framerates be limited to 25 f/s so as not to provide an unfair advantage to players with high-end graphics cards? NO

Should my laser mouse's resolution be cut down to match an analog ball mouse? NO

Should everyone's processors be limited so that those people with 2.0 GHz P4's don't suffer alone when their systems bog down from the physics calculations? NO

Should the game disable 1.5Gb of my system memory? One of my cores? 3/4 of my 2MB of L2 cache? NO, NO, NO.

This is a hardware intensive game. Everyone has the OPTION to buy any piece of hardware anyone else can buy. That's the difference between PC gaming and console gaming. Anyone who wants a hardware-balanced playing field should by an XBox360. In PC gaming, there will always be hardware advantages/disadvantages between any two players. Between 36 players on a server? Forget it.

The rare occasion when a widescreen monitor's wider FOV provides a kill should be the least of anyone's hardware concerns. It's a non-issue.

On the other hand, the penalty of a cramped, uncomfortable WS FOV, particularly in close quarters where this high-end piece of hardware becomes a disadvantage, this will be a concern and issue for just about every widescreen user. And it will be a deal-breaker for many of us.

Again, please fix it.

100% with you "Logos" well said, I hope GRIN read this thread Monday morning and feel the concerns of what is and make it what is should be. The topic was brought up and is a sticking point not only for the fact that 40% have widescreen monitors but the fact that more and more will have as 4:3 goes down the CRT road. GRAW2 should have legs (at least 3-4 years) if GRAW3 is not coming (as if that would be an excuse) and as such needs to have basic elements right, this is not something like Anti aliasing but more basic, more important. It is spoiling the whole experience as is.

well said Logos :thumbsup: bad boys grin :o= (small joke)

P.s. and thx to PaddyWak for making the screen shots.

p.p.s and don't forget the double cursor..

Thank you ... :D

BTW ... just for the record ... as a few have described it this way ...

"Pulling the camera back" is not the same thing as widening the FOV ... it increases the FOV both horizontally and vertically...

True widescreen has a horizontal increase in the FOV ... not an increase in the vertical FOV or a decrease in the vertical FOV.

Edited by Paddywak

I have a question, is it possible to simulate a real field of view where the center 80+ percent is clear and the sides/peripheral view is slightly out of focus or would that be too weird to look at on screen?

I have a question, is it possible to simulate a real field of view where the center 80+ percent is clear and the sides/peripheral view is slightly out of focus or would that be too weird to look at on screen?

Changing the focus in the peripheral is generally not a good idea to do in a game since you expect to see clearly where you look. And in a way you will get the the "focus blur" anyway, since most of the time you're focusing on the middle of your screen (crosshair) and then the rest will be a little out of focus anyway ;)

With thanks to Paddy, Logos, etc for highlighting the issue and documenting it so well, I'm adding my name to list of people who hope GRIN manage to resolve this.

C'mon GRIN, I just bought a WS monitor last month, lemme enjoy GRAW2 to the MAX! :D

We are looking into this issue, that's all I can say at the moment.

Thanks for the post Ichabod! Greatly appreciated.

Then we at least know the thread has come to GRINs attention.

As you can see from the responses this is probably one of the most important issues to be worked on before game release.

Keep the good work up!

Cheers Peace

We are looking into this issue, that's all I can say at the moment.

Thank you ichabod. At least letting us know that you know and are looking at it relives a lot of concern on everyones part.

I would like to suggest that you simply give wide screen users greater fields of view. Since no solution is a perfect one (assuming ratios are maintianed), the best solution is to give better and better FOVs to wider and wider screens and simply let some players have better expereinces (FOVs) than others. otherwise, you stand to alienate those of us who are getting penalized for having widescreen monitors.

I've been holding off on WS because of this very reason. I dont understand why PC game developers don't incorporate WS resolutions and better field of views in ALL the games... Half Life 2 implemented it perfectly, you would think all FPS's (or at least one's that are worth anything) would follow. Especially over 2 years later! Is it really that hard to code it in? Are they concerned about performance issues? WHAT IS IT????

I use a regular 4:3 monitor, it is the only item 4:3 in my house , everthing else (all my 3 TV's) are widescreen. I've used my pc alot less for gaming because 1. there are no games out there at the moment that call to me, 2. my ps3 and xbox360 have been taking up all my time with its beautiful 16:9 gaming format, and 3. I hate using 4:3 now that I've been completely spoiled by the Wide Screen EVOLUTION. The PC Gaming market needs to EVOLVE as well.

This game may not be anything new, just a new tactical first person shooter, but the graphics and physics seem very next gen. Why not finish the package off with the ability to utilize all the high end pc options available?

I'm just wondering how much longer it will take for the PC world to fully embrace the WS format if none of the game developers support it. I for one would really like to see WS take off, so I can go WS everything!