Field of view / Widescreen issue

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your suggestion but I know what I am talking about ... I am a moderator at the widescreengamingforum.com where we try to help the community get true widescreen with the correct FOV and correct aspect ratio.

The view is cut down in GRAW2 if you use a widescreen resolution even if you use the correct aspect ratio for your monitor.

Take a screenshot at 4:3 using a 4:3 resolution then from exactly the same place take a screenshot in any widescreen resolution with the correct aspect ratio for than resolution ... compare the screenshots and you will see the view is cut off at the top and bottom.

Rather than the top and bottom being cut off, would it be better to say that the FOV is the same on both where it should be wider on a 16:9 or 16:10 screen ? That being said, GRAW 1 hade a 90 deg. FOV for 4:3 and around 110 deg. FOV for 16:10/9, so your point is very true (I checked on my WS monitor). I agree the aspect is wrong for anything but 4:3 and it looks bad, when placed side by side.

well spotted.

When a widescreen resolution and it's correct aspect ratio are selected the view is cut down compared to 4:3 ...

This makes the game "feel" wrong ... like the view is zoomed in and it feels like you are moving too slowly.

I mentioned this in the feedback thread but here is a screenshot showing what is cut off when using a 16:10 resolution and 16:10 aspect ratio ... it is even worse when a 16:9 res and 16:9 aspect ratio are used ... :(

graw2-ws.jpg

4:3 image ...

graw2-4x3.jpg

Widescreen 16:10

graw2ws.jpg

In GRAW the view did not get cut down in this way using widescreens.

This is very disappointing for widescreen users ..... :(

Please could you consider fixing this for the full game.

In GRAW the view did not get cut down in this way using widescreens.

This is very disappointing for widescreen users ..... :(

Please could you consider fixing this for the full game.

About no proper widescreen support

Nice and utterly important post Paddy!!! (but you are the true expert on this field too) :thumbsup:

I highly recommend a visit to http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/

Yea, I didn't realize that myself, but I did feel extreeemely zoomed in when playing briefly yesterday. Especially in close encounters and when trying to go up stairs etc, it became really awkward

GRIN, this is a step backwards compared with GRAW! A game released in 2007 should not do so!

WS gaming is supposed to wiiiiiden your field of view to be more realistic, not crop the bottom and lower part which make you feel you look through a tube "zoomed in".

I don't known if this is normal or not but I feel like my regular view is zoomed in too much. I feel like i'm blind on my left and right sides even though i'm using widescreen. Is there a way to zoom out the regular view so i can get a wider view of whats in front of me?

By the way GAYSPY WORKED!!! The first time! Did they change the connection ports by any chance? I could never get GRAW 1 to connect but GRAW 2 demo worked!... might be buying after all

Yep. And it has been well documented somehwere (usng a pciture well desinged to show the limitation) that not only do wide screen users end up with the same angular field of view that other players get (that is probably fair , even though the FOV is too small) they also end up with a FOV penalty in the vertical plane. In other words, Wide screen users see LESS than regular users from top to bottom.

So not only does the game give you too little left to right field of view, wide scree users get less vertical (top to bottom) feild of view than do regular monitor users.

hopefully, Grin will fix this somehow.

the problem is tha in order to ive everyone the same horizontal field of view, widescreensoffer less top to bottom. As a wide screen user, i wish i could get greater horizontal field of view. but this may be considered a cheat realtive to other players.

That makes sense. I'm used to being able to see almost 160 degrees in armed assault thats why it felt strange i guess.

Does anyone know if they changed the required ports for conencting to gamespy?

I know demo comes with a tool that configs firewall, what does it actually do to it?

Very good points indeed. The zoomed in look and feel has been a setback for this game since the first GRAW to me. As far as widescreen support...well there really isn't any. Take a look at Paddys screenies above. As one can see, playing with a widescreen actually penalizes you. They've simply chopped off the top and bottom of the screen so it will fit a widescreen. Shame on you GRIN, that's very mickey mouse.

As one can see, playing with a widescreen actually penalizes you. They've simply chopped off the top and bottom of the screen so it will fit a widescreen. Shame on you GRIN, that's very mickey mouse.

hmmm? Mickey Mouse? Well. I'm not sure until GRiN tells us why they did this. I can certainly see why you would call it mickey mouse (took a shortcut to avoid spending time i assume you mean), but on the other hand, how do you giv eall players the same horizontal FOV when so many different monitors exist? What is the prper solution? If I can see many more horizontal degrees than yo becuase i have a wide screen abd you do not, is this an unfair advantage for me?

In other words, was this really mickey mouse? or did GRiN simply feel that everyone needed to have teh same left to right FOV no matter what since that particular FOV is (presumably) more important than vertical and would give aplayer a greater advantage if not nuetralized?

Its a tough one. You only need to own toa new 1080P HD TV to see what I mean. They have all these wierd viewgin modes for people trying to watch old regular TV on the widescreen HD and none of them are really great solution. they stretch across the image. they stretch at the edges etc etc etc. And all of them look a bit woerd when they try to fit a 4:# image onto a 16:10 screen

Chopping off the edges screws the WS players, image stretching helps the WS players (fatter targets), and not stretching while expanding the FOV slightly works in favor of the WS players. There is no win-win situation, but very rarely do you hear people complaing about WS players. Give us back our cut off edges!

Yes Sleep Doc, I meant the term "Mickey Mouse" in the sense that instead of making it a true WS they simply cut off the top and bottom of the screen to make it "appear" to fit a WS platform. Here's another metaphore I'll throw out..."bush league".

Is there a possibility that some guru over at WS forums could make a fix for this?

When a widescreen resolution and it's correct aspect ratio are selected the view is cut down compared to 4:3 ...

Yes Sleep Doc, I meant the term "Mickey Mouse" in the sense that instead of making it a true WS they simply cut off the top and bottom of the screen to make it "appear" to fit a WS platform. Here's another metaphore I'll throw out..."bush league".

Is there a possibility that some guru over at WS forums could make a fix for this?

PaddyWak's post is spot on, they have cheated in the WS aspect

Absolutely. What an absurd solution to the problem.. this is completey unplayable as it is. Not wasting $60 on another game that skirts the widescreen issue. I can't imagine any widescreen user trying the demo and actually being able to stomach it for more than a couple of minutes. Feels like you're looking through a tube

This is quite a quandry. How do you make a level playing field between those with normal screens and those with wide screens? The only answer seems to be, keep everyone in the same aspect ratio and leave those with wide screens with trimmed left and right edges or leave those with normal screens with trimmed top and bottom edges (letter box).

On thing is for sure, I wish the left and right FOV was wider. The narrowness can make me queasy.

Absolutely. What an absurd solution to the problem.. this is completey unplayable as it is. Not wasting $60 on another game that skirts the widescreen issue. I can't imagine any widescreen user trying the demo and actually being able to stomach it for more than a couple of minutes. Feels like you're looking through a tube
I have absolutely ZERO problems playing on my WS monitor. I played 3+ hours the first night without so much as a burp.

I'm some where in the middle. GRAW always makes me feel like I am looking through too small of a FOV and it can annoy me from time to time. but then the game play takes over and immerses me.

In the end, however, the poor FOV and the Widescreen issue is a bummer.

I just have a hard time calling GRiN "Bush league". I guess I can stomach the idea that this one solution represented cutting corners though.

Edited by Sleepdoc

I'm not implying that GRIN as a whole is Bush League, I'm implying that the WS solution they implemented IS. I really enjoy the game and my respect for GRIN has definately grown since the release of the demo, I just wish that they had spent more time implementing a correct WS solution is all.

The cropped view as in the demo makes the gaming uncomfortable when you know how it really is supposed to be (Cangaroo you'd feel the differance).

In 2007 to intentionally disable the beauty of WS gaming like GRIN did in the demo is to just unbeliviable to me. :nono:

Plz make it as in GRAW instead (but pull the camera back slightly...)

Naturally WS users should get a true wider FOV, i.e, neither a cropped view as in the demo (see Paddys screenies above) nor a stretched (distorted) 4:3 image.

I'd really like to see some GRIN input on this topic and what they intend to do with the full version.

Can´t believe that they didn´t bother to fix the fov, come on, seriously, it is 2007.....

Well, I am just gonna hod of buying until the game is either in the bargin bin or they fix it.

Actually on every forum I been on there has been poeple complaiing about the fov, I guess we didn´t complain enough in GRAW 1 about it so they didn´t bother to look it over.

Edited by semjonov