MP Demo Feedback + Discussion

That's why I love this site so much more than ghostrecon.com. Their forums aren't nearly as good as this one and GRIN has just given us cool answer after cool answer. For being fairly new to this business, they really know their stuff and definately know how to please us. And I'm confident that when the full version comes out, even us fans will have GRINs. :D

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I would prefer that GRIN removed the health bar completely. It's just that I hate health bars and in a tactical shooter you should notice that you are injured in other ways than by a health bar.

Punishment when hit is still very important and I'm disappointed that it's not implemented in GRAW2.

For crying out loud, even the 360 version got limping and that's an action > tactical-game.

- modifiable crosshair
You can change the color, but I don't know about other features.

Yeah, but I would like these other features such as changing it's style.

- that you can see how many teammates / enemies are still alive without pressing TAB
Next to your stance indicator is a number. That's it.

Mhh..didn't notice that one :ph34r:

Edited by DarkG

LoL.....do ya realize that "body armor" doesnt cover very much of your body? It actually only covers your upper torso, and comes down to your belly button. A gut shot, though would not kill you right away, would defenately ruin your day. Wearing a kevlar helmet isn't that reliable either. It wouldn't survive most calibre bullets with a direct hit. I think that the thing that most people are "complaining" about is that getting shot has little to no effect on the enemy. Try getting shot in your arm, hip, leg, ect and even your torso with body armor on and see if it doesn't slow you down...

not true check out the body armor in use now in the us military. Multiple plates and decent side panel support or even better yet check out the link below. I saw this stuff stop 2 high power rifle shots before giving out on the third, saw it stop 6 rounds of 7.62 and 8+ 9mm with min impact on vital organs and soft tissue by the way it disperses the bullets impact energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Skin_body_armor

the vest repelled nine rounds of pointed steel ammunition from an AK-47 and 35 rounds of 9 mm, all fired into a 10-by-12-inch configuration on the vest. In "Test Lab", also on the History Channel, the vest withstood a total of 120 rounds, fired from both an AK-47 (7.62 × 39 mm) and MP5 (9 x 19 mm). In another demonstration on the Discovery Channel series "Future Weapons", a Dragon Skin vest withstood numerous rounds from an AK-47, an MP5, and an M4 carbine (5.56 x 45 mm), and a point-blank detonation of an M67 grenade. While the vest was heavily damaged (mainly by the grenade), there was no penetration of the actual armor.

Fresno test

Fresno, CA police officers ordered it after a vest stopped all the bullets fired during a test, including .308 rounds from a sniper rifle and 30 rounds from a fully automatic MP-5 fired from 5 feet away. Ninety-eight federal, state, and local law enforcement officers witnessed the SWAT test. The armor also stopped 40 rounds of PS-M1943 mild steel core bullets from an AK-47 along with 200 9 mm FMJ military ball bullets fired from a submachine gun.[5]

[edit] December 2006 test

On December 7, 2006 a demonstrational shoot for the following departments took place on a 10" x 12" SOV-2000 Level III panel: Saint Charles Parish Sheriff's SWAT, Saint John's Parish Sheriff's SWAT, Gretna PD, Jefferson Parish Sheriff's SWAT, LaCruz Parish Sheriff's SWAT, Ascension Parish Sheriff's SWAT, Coast Guard Investigative Services, US Navy.

A total of 17 rounds were fired into the panel without penetration.

3 @ 7.62x51 mm Federal Match

3 @ 7.62x39 mm Military Ball

3 @ 5.56x45 mm M193 Ball

3 @ 5.56x45 mm M193 Ball at 45 degrees

2 @ 5.56x45 mm M855 Green Tip

2 @ 5.56x45 mm Bonded M193

1 @ 7.62x51 mm Federal Bonded

BTW Grin way to go on GRAW2....fantastic turn around from GRAW. Looks, plays feels like a new game with all the things I love!

Edited by RuTHlezz1

LoL.....do ya realize that "body armor" doesnt cover very much of your body? It actually only covers your upper torso, and comes down to your belly button. A gut shot, though would not kill you right away, would defenately ruin your day. Wearing a kevlar helmet isn't that reliable either. It wouldn't survive most calibre bullets with a direct hit. I think that the thing that most people are "complaining" about is that getting shot has little to no effect on the enemy. Try getting shot in your arm, hip, leg, ect and even your torso with body armor on and see if it doesn't slow you down...

not true check out the body armor in use now in the us military. Multiple plates and decent side panel support or even better yet check out the link below. I saw this stuff stop 2 high power rifle shots before giving out on the third, saw it stop 6 rounds of 7.62 and 8+ 9mm with min impact on vital organs and soft tissue by the way it disperses the bullets impact energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Skin_body_armor

the vest repelled nine rounds of pointed steel ammunition from an AK-47 and 35 rounds of 9 mm, all fired into a 10-by-12-inch configuration on the vest. In "Test Lab", also on the History Channel, the vest withstood a total of 120 rounds, fired from both an AK-47 (7.62 × 39 mm) and MP5 (9 x 19 mm). In another demonstration on the Discovery Channel series "Future Weapons", a Dragon Skin vest withstood numerous rounds from an AK-47, an MP5, and an M4 carbine (5.56 x 45 mm), and a point-blank detonation of an M67 grenade. While the vest was heavily damaged (mainly by the grenade), there was no penetration of the actual armor.

Fresno test

Fresno, CA police officers ordered it after a vest stopped all the bullets fired during a test, including .308 rounds from a sniper rifle and 30 rounds from a fully automatic MP-5 fired from 5 feet away. Ninety-eight federal, state, and local law enforcement officers witnessed the SWAT test. The armor also stopped 40 rounds of PS-M1943 mild steel core bullets from an AK-47 along with 200 9 mm FMJ military ball bullets fired from a submachine gun.[5]

[edit] December 2006 test

On December 7, 2006 a demonstrational shoot for the following departments took place on a 10" x 12" SOV-2000 Level III panel: Saint Charles Parish Sheriff's SWAT, Saint John's Parish Sheriff's SWAT, Gretna PD, Jefferson Parish Sheriff's SWAT, LaCruz Parish Sheriff's SWAT, Ascension Parish Sheriff's SWAT, Coast Guard Investigative Services, US Navy.

A total of 17 rounds were fired into the panel without penetration.

3 @ 7.62x51 mm Federal Match

3 @ 7.62x39 mm Military Ball

3 @ 5.56x45 mm M193 Ball

3 @ 5.56x45 mm M193 Ball at 45 degrees

2 @ 5.56x45 mm M855 Green Tip

2 @ 5.56x45 mm Bonded M193

1 @ 7.62x51 mm Federal Bonded

BTW Grin way to go on GRAW2....fantastic turn around from GRAW. Looks, plays feels like a new game with all the things I love!

Yet soldiers die on a seemingly daily basis in Afganistan and Iraq from antiquated firearms in the hands of terrorists....

I wish the test groups had such amazing results in real life.

RuTHlezz1, thanks for looking all that up. There are a lot of good History stories on the internet as well that come from US Military personnel from past wars that talk about how the enemy took mulitple rounds to put down and this was long before body armor. For people who main experience is combat games and who have never been in combat or have never read the stories from our veterans describing the unbelievable ability of the enemy during combat to take many hits and keep on coming, it is perhaps understandable why they think one shot is always a kill.

Oh!

So GRAW is based on those 1 in a 1000 war experiences that make great stories and deserve to be told on the history channel.

I have no doubt there have been some tough hombres in wars in the past, I have no doubt that soldiers have carried on fighting unaware due to addrenaline that they are gravely wounded, I have no doubt that the modern body armour saves many of our soldiers lives on a daily basis in Afganistan and Iraq.

But I doubt very much that what your saying is the norm in real combat situations.

But I doubt very much that what your saying is the norm in real combat situations.

No, actually the number of our people not dieing in ratio to the wounded is what supports what we are saying.

Unfortunately they are not keeping any statistics that I can find on those shot but not wounded having been saved by their body armor.

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,1463...ceptor,,00.html

"It's impossible to get an accurate number of how many Marines' lives have been saved by the Interceptor system. I've heard many stories of Marines on patrol in Iraq and the SAPI plate stopped a bullet or Improvised Explosive Device that would have otherwise killed him, but the Marine just replaces the plates and keeps on going," said Leimbach. "The most important thing to note is the Interceptor system is saving hundreds, if not thousands, of lives."
Edited by Fletch

Oh!

So GRAW is based on those 1 in a 1000 war experiences that make great stories and deserve to be told on the history channel.

I have no doubt there have been some tough hombres in wars in the past, I have no doubt that soldiers have carried on fighting unaware due to addrenaline that they are gravely wounded, I have no doubt that the modern body armour saves many of our soldiers lives on a daily basis in Afganistan and Iraq.

I think this

should clear up your doubts. (I hope I'm allowed to post this because it's a very good example to show how body armor does work in real combat situations)

Also, it depends very much on where you get hit. As long as no vital organ is hit you will not die immediately, you would rather bleed to death if your wound is not treated right by a medic (or yourself). That's all I know about this topic.

Edited by DarkG

/on topic

the MP5 was a killer weapon in the BETA, now it mearly tickles the enemy :*( indeed a sad day for all Scramblers on the battlefield.

rifles seem a bit more effective however :)

.50 cal shoots through metal

<3 <3 <3 <3 GRIN <3 <3 <3 <3

/on topic

the MP5 was a killer weapon in the BETA, now it mearly tickles the enemy :*( indeed a sad day for all Scramblers on the battlefield.

rifles seem a bit more effective however :)

.50 cal shoots through metal

<3 <3 <3 <3 GRIN <3 <3 <3 <3

Lol, I remember the MP5 in GR1. It was one of the worst weapons you could use.

Well I don't like scrambling anyway..

Edited by DarkG

Actually, the body armour used by US (Marines) in Iraq works fairly well. I have read a heap of battle accounts fron Fallujah and Nasariyah, were marines can pick out bullets lodged in their armour; or having the armour penetrated by bullets with low velocity left to spend in the actual body. Even in hetaed situations rather few soldiers die by bullets, what they die of is more usually IEDs

[

Well You Can Goggle and do what you want but DURKA was in Iraq Working with the 101st.

You can not operate with 200 lbs of plates.

Well, I think this topic is very related to the MP Demo because it's about whether the Demo is realistic or not.

And I think it's realistic ;)

I especially like these small details e.g. you can't hold your weapon through a wall and that you can see your feet unlike other popular games.

Edited by DarkG

I think this

should clear up your doubts. (I hope I'm allowed to post this because it's a very good example to show how body armor does work in real combat situations)

Also, it depends very much on where you get hit. As long as no vital organ is hit you will not die immediately, you would rather bleed to death if your wound is not treated right by a medic (or yourself). That's all I know about this topic.

What I meant was that it is much more realistic than other games and it's still fun.

The problem is that if you make a game too realistic it's not fun (at least for me) anymore.

I already tried ArmA and that's way too much realism for me.

Edited by DarkG

If you notice that guy when he gets shot, he falls on his butt, gets back up and runs around the Humvee. It didn't kill him, because they hit him in the UPPER TORSO. Myself and many others who play this game have worn the same body armor you so eloquently state statistics on. The armor only goes to your belly button. It only protects the vitals, which is good, but if you notice, you won't see any armor on the rest of his body. If he got hit in the leg, he would be limping. If he got hit in the shoulder, he would be dragging his arm, ect ect. To say that GRIN's programming is "realistic" is to say that getting shot in the arm is more like a bug bite than a wound.

Durka, I am in total agreement that when you get hit in this game there should be a visable reaction, such as getting knocked on your butt. Or, if hit in the legs they get swept out from under you and then you end up limping. My original reply was against the idea that 1 shot is always a kill. We are not the only ones who wear body armor and even with out body armor it can take several shots to kill the enemy. I was stating that the fact that it often takes multiple rounds to kill is real and it should not be changed to 1 shot 1 kill. Sorry if I caused any confusion.