Tinker goes Technical!

Tinker

Hi all

Just thought i would mention i am working my way through a Home Learning Course. Comp TIA A+ Not sure if you are familiar with it. Well, i am getting right into the thick of it now, and hope to provide you all with many questions real soon!

:lol:

Tinker

Setting up a home network

I cannot find a network i created with another pc. I used the network setup wizard to create a wireless network on this pc and named it. I ran the same on my laptop and searched for available networks, but nothing is showing up?

Tinker

:(

Cheers Roco

That`s took me a little closer. Notebook has detected my Home Hub wireless network. I put in the network key i set in my Hub earlier, but unfortunatly after a few minutes trying, it gives up?

Tinker

:huh:

I would recommend that never run a windows wizard for creating networks.

It's a bit hard to locate the problem, since we do not know what kind of network settings are you using.

Are both PCs using the same gateway address ?

Can you ping the other computer?

Can you ping a HUB from both PCs?

I always do it like this.., but in most cases i use routers. First i configure a router/HUB(enable DHCP) and then set NIC to obtain IP automatically .

Then start CMD

and type ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew . If everything is ok it should work.

It's a bit different with wireless.

Hope it helps.

Thnx Sunraa

I have been using windows setup wizard, will try it this way and see.

ATM i am trying to view info about the names and adresses used by this pc.

I type ipconfig / all

But nothing shows, just a quick flash of an empty black box.

Cheers, I`ll get there.

Tinker

:)

Little off topic, but no need for another post?

I need to view 2 pdf documents at the same time on 1 pc. Can I?

Tinker

:unsure:

Normally with any document you can open the 1st and read/write to it with the 1st pc to open it.

Most other documents will open on the 2nd computer in READ only mode. It will usually tell you when you open it.

I`ve upgraded to Adobe Reader 7.0 and all fine! :huh:

Next issue is binary and hexidecimal.

binary into decimal:

Converting 100011010 to 282 is oki :)

but...I don`t understand how to represent the hexi value of 2DF. Apparently it makes (2=2, D=13, F-15) which into binary is (2=10, 13=1101, 15=1111, or 10 1101) :blink:

Tinker

2 is not 10, but it's 0010, 13 and 15 are ok. Always need to use 4 digits for hexadecimal. I hope i remember from school correctly :)

btw, try to update to acrobat reader 8, which works better and uses less resources

2 is not 10, but it's 0010, 13 and 15 are ok. Always need to use 4 digits for hexadecimal. I hope i remember from school correctly :)

btw, try to update to acrobat reader 8, which works better and uses less resources

2DF

(2=0010, 13=1101, 15=1111, or 10 1101) < I can understand this bit

(2=2, D=13, F-15) < But not this. How do i know D=13 and F=15? Does that make C = 11?

Thnx

Tinker

:rocky:

Thnx again Sunraa

All good with Binary now! Makes perfect sense, just didn`t look right at first.

:shifty:

I cannot view my CMOS settings?

Packard Bell here, and it should allow me to at any time by pressing ctl/alt/S, but no joy? Have tried F1 and F10 on booting process too.

:(

Tinker