Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
firefly2442

Gigabit Switch Question

If I get a gigabit switch and connect in a few gigabit NIC cards, if I connect a 10/100 NIC, will the whole switch then operate only at 10/100 or will it just be that connection? Is this different for hubs or routers? Thanks. :)

it will only be that connection that will be 10/100, rest will be gig speeds

it will only be that connection that will be 10/100, rest will be gig speeds

Correct. SD2005 and SD2008 linksys are good ones. Be careful of workgroup switches though (low end) as some don't handle 1/2 duplex mixed with full. Regular switches as above (the linksys part #'s i just said) though handle it fine.

Can anyone tell me if Cat5 cables can reliably handle Gigabit speeds or do you require Cat6 for best performance?

Can anyone tell me if Cat5 cables can reliably handle Gigabit speeds or do you require Cat6 for best performance?

Notes from a bit of research, not hands-on use:

Gigabit was designed to work with Cat5, but it's not entirely reliable, so Cat5e was created to take up the slack. 5e or 6 is the recommended standard for good throughput with gigabit networks, though technically Cat5 will work, just not optimally.

Cat 6 also is to expensive... as Dannik said cat5E to be safe. Shorter disttances just cat5 will do.

Thanks to all of you for the replies!

I have 2 systems with onboard Intel Gigabit ethernet ports, but my router has the old 10/100 switch. I've seen some Wireless-N routers with built-in Gigabit ports ... looks pretty tempting!

Has wireless N been standardized yet? Last i knew it still wasn't. I'll have to look into it as even though it's released... one companies may be different then the other if the standard is not set yet.

From what I've read around the 'net, looks like they are working on a 2nd draft for 802.11n, and it may not be approved til next year.

Yeah, Wirelees-G routers came out before final standardization too, and I guess the manufacturers just released firmware after that.

I actually finally upgraded to Wireless-G from B last year, and the main reason was to get WPA security as my Linksys Wireless-B did not have any further firmware updates beyond the obsolete WEP protection.