Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tinker

What makes for enjoyable SP Missions ?

What makes SP Missions so enjoyable to you in GR? Being able to play it alone maybe, or playing it with your 6 man team, you, and the AI.

What are the key elements to you in a single player mission?

I am trying to focus on SP instead of full on co-op MP missions. Any input would be returned with a good mission i guess.

Maybe a map only made just for SP? No command map, just some "You are here" boards dotted in various checkpoints? Command map, would simply show a series of objectives.

GR1 may not have much left unturned, but i found a little loop hole, just for the SP fans.

Any input be great.

Tinker

:zorro:

-Playing at a pace of my choosing.

-9 times out of 10, I take the AI team mates with me. I like the character switching and trying to use a semblance of team tactics. Not that going alone doesn't require tactics, maybe I just like to have some virtual company along.

What are the key elements to you in a single player mission?

The million dollar question! :D

Off the top of my head:

-It has to be plausible. The more so the better.

-The odds have to be high but not impossible.

I like single player because I am rather slow player, MP is just a bit too fast for me. I love the ability to switch characters, so I can sneak up and ambush a patrol with my sniper and just the other minute have an all-out firefight with my assault team.

The great thing is, when you play as sniper, the game makes you feel like a sniper, sneaking around in the woods, spotting for enemies and taking aim for the shot. When you play as assaulter, it feels totally different, bullets whizzing around, machine guns firing, explosions and whatnot.

Key elements for me:

- diversity of objectives. No "kill-'em-all" objectives please!!!

- and what wombat50 said :)

:rocky:

CC

Edited by CommandoCrazy

for me the flow of the mission is everything....

regarding kill em all objectives - there are missions where the only reasonable alternative is to rout the opfor! Would you consider a position defended if there were opfor teams in near proximity? Is a mobile ICBM secure if you exit the AO leavng the special weapons team to fend off any remaining opfor? What if they overtake the team?

I hate those objectives like many, cause there is that one fool who you just can't seem to find most of the time, but again, routing the opfor may be the only reasonable alterntative...perhaps having them panic when a least number is obtained would present an alternative and even eliminate the need for the requirement...rather have a message informing you the AO is clear...

One reason I also use that is so I can bring in a second opfor company to harass player as they make for the extraction, would not want them to get in firefight with remaining opfor from company A, unless....

mig :ph34r:

Regarding that, one of my tests had a script that triggered a plan where any OPFor left on the map retreated.

That was only after they lost a certain amount of men, a C3 tank and a C3 post were destroyed.

Basically, you had to secure something or other (I forget what) call it a nuke. Now to do so, you had to clear the area by forcing a retreat. Which was done by blowing up their command centre. That triggered a run to the nuke, which you have hopefully secured quietly. Then defend that for a while until an airstrike takes out another C3 centre (off the map). That had a certain number of people retreat already. After a certain number of the enemy company is lost (I think it was around half), the remainder retreat. Only then do the back up troops arrive.

Need to remake it since it was lost in a format. Was fun though. And reasonably easy to script.

But varied objectives are good. I do not like missions which are the same, but on different maps.

Another option is somewhat more complex but doable, I saw it in a HX4 mission

1) have a plan trigger where the opfor assaults the position (pace=run, Move ROE=run, path = single path element on the position), but don't assign it

2) have a flag ("action"), set it to true every time anyone dies

3) have a time elapsed event that checks the flag, redirects to another block ("charge") if its false, and sets the flag false if it was true (i.e. redirectif(not(getFlagState) group charge ), next response would be setFlag to false)

4) in the "charge" call a loop teams in company

5) in the loop call abort the team's current plan and assign the plan mentioned in #1

Now if a certain amount of time passes with no deaths, they assault.

Obviously you can add other conditions in the time elapsed event to better suit your mission