Ghost Recon.net Forums
Rocky

Processor Advice - changed to Rocky's Rebuild

Quad will help once the demo comes out ;)

Quad will help with what, when what demo comes out?

The SLI debate has been going on all over the place but I'll just say that I don't think it is worth the extra price one has to pay to get the sli mobo and that I think it is a gamble to have to bank on using sli down the road. The gamble being that your boost in performance in putting two cards in sli will out perform something that would cost you a little extra. I also think you underestimate the resale value of video cards. I still see used 7600gt's going for $100 easily on ebay. I just bought one brand new for $80.

The brisbane is not oem and i'm not too worried about the warranty since I've already overclocked it and voided the warranty. It's also a 65nm processor so power consumption really isn't all that bad, but you are right the power consumption to overclock the 6600 would most likely be less because your requires less effort to get where i'm at.

I tried to word my original post so I wouldn't offend you ROCO. Sorry.

Out of the box the 6600 is a great performer with no overclocks. I'm just going from the standpoint of those who don't have as much disposable income to work with. My friend and I ordered our parts together last month and he went the E6600 route and spent close to $1,000 on everything.

For those of you with wives like mine who spend every last dime on shoes and purses ( :rant: ) and have to squeeze every bit of performance you can out of $400 or your children won't eat, it is just something to consider. I'm just saying don't turn your nose up at anything non core 2 duo yet. Now if I had the option of choosing betweem Roco's set up and mine, I would go with Roco's any day since his set up could eat mine for breakfast and still have room for double portions of biscuits and gravy.

With gas prices on the rise some of us might have to go a little more conservative on our upgrades.

Quad will help once the demo comes out ;)

Quad will help with what, when what demo comes out?

The SLI debate has been going on all over the place but I'll just say that I don't think it is worth the extra price one has to pay to get the sli mobo and that I think it is a gamble to have to bank on using sli down the road. The gamble being that your boost in performance in putting two cards in sli will out perform something that would cost you a little extra. I also think you underestimate the resale value of video cards. I still see used 7600gt's going for $100 easily on ebay. I just bought one brand new for $80.

The brisbane is not oem and i'm not too worried about the warranty since I've already overclocked it and voided the warranty. It's also a 65nm processor so power consumption really isn't all that bad, but you are right the power consumption to overclock the 6600 would most likely be less because your requires less effort to get where i'm at.

I tried to word my original post so I wouldn't offend you ROCO. Sorry.

Out of the box the 6600 is a great performer with no overclocks. I'm just going from the standpoint of those who don't have as much disposable income to work with. My friend and I ordered our parts together last month and he went the E6600 route and spent close to $1,000 on everything.

For those of you with wives like mine who spend every last dime on shoes and purses ( :rant: ) and have to squeeze every bit of performance you can out of $400 or your children won't eat, it is just something to consider. I'm just saying don't turn your nose up at anything non core 2 duo yet. Now if I had the option of choosing betweem Roco's set up and mine, I would go with Roco's any day since his set up could eat mine for breakfast and still have room for double portions of biscuits and gravy.

With gas prices on the rise some of us might have to go a little more conservative on our upgrades.

Can't say much on the demo but... look at the front page of gr.net for what file subscribers get.

I'm not offended. I always just show another view per say. If your not knowledgeable with overclocking and it voids your warranty as stated, then the risk may cost you more in the long run

The 80$ on ebay strengthen's my point. the 80$ you sell your card for later won't give you much toward a new card. You also have to deal with shipping and the like.

I'm not saying your idea is wrong, so don't take this to offense in anyway, but fortfor hose that aren't as familiar with a pc, or bios settings, they may not get the performance they are looking for. For those that are and know how to set it, it can be a good way to get a cheap pc, providing the hardware can hold out for the length you plan on keeping it at that overclock. I overclocked my 6800GS so i could get to 1280x1024 instead of 1024x768.... but it was a fine balance. I could only get about 15mhz over on the core and even less on the memory since it was a superclocked version. Anything else and it would randomly get many artifacts and annoyances... sometimes 1/2 hour into the game :( I paid 250$ for the card new. if it was SLI i could have probably got one at 80$ off ebay and not have to overclock + be able to turn shadows on on that pc and other settings.

As a question also... with the site crashing? could that be related to the overclock?

Wow, great advice here with lots of good experience to back it up :thumbsup:

Here are my comments:

SLI - Personally, I am not a fan of SLI for the following reasons:

1) Driver issues - you are bound to have more driver problems with SLI than a single card. Nvidia is pretty good about fixing them eventually, but you have to wait (usually a few months) for a fix

2) Power consumption - if you have a top end card that sucks almost 200W of power, imagine if you double that? It uses more power and produces more heat and resultant fan noise

3) Other issues - e.g. John Sonedecker recently posted he stopped using SLI because he had trouble with his dual monitor setup.

So historically, I have gone with the top-end card at the time (Voodoo 1-5, GF3, 9800 Pro, X800XT PE, GF 6800 to name a few) and once a game I like doesn't perform adequately, it's time for a new card. The reason I can wait a little longer to upgrade now is there is no game I am interested in to upgrade for.

NOISE - This is actually another big thing for me these days. It used to be about power and squeezing every drop of performance out of my rig, but now as I'm getting older, for some reason I find a noisy rig quite irritating.

With the Core 2 Duo, at last we can have great performance with minimal fans. In fact, a friend of mine who runs an OEM store had a few customers thinking their CPU fan had a problem because it would occasionally stop if the CPU was running cool enough!

The last few rigs I built for casual users all used passive cooling on the mobo chipset and GPU, and the only fans were on the PSU, CPU, and one extra case fan at the rear of the case. They were a pleasure to use.

Now, I know for a rig with a performance GPU, this may not be possible, but hopefully they come out with better cooling solutions in the future.

As a question also... with the site crashing? could that be related to the overclock?

No, I was using my work laptop yesterday when the site wouldn't come up. I finished typing my response, then I clicked submit and I got the "this page cannot be displayed message". I went back to the home page and it came up then I clicked on forums and I got the error message again. Later, the gr.net home page wouldn't load up at all and then finally in the afternoon it worked.

I had to use a backwards way of getting to this site though. I was on site at a clients and they are a pretty big company and their IT guys have their network set up to block non-work related sites. I could not get to this site because it was listed as a video game site so what I did is I opened our access point server page with all the apps running off of our main server in harrisonburg and opened explorer from there and I could access this site. I think it was our citrix server acting up really.

My home pc has been stable for a month now. Now I just need to wait for the demo that is coming "soon".

Nice article too CR6. Thanks for sharing that.

Edited by dporter

Wow, great advice here with lots of good experience to back it up :thumbsup:

Here are my comments:

SLI - Personally, I am not a fan of SLI for the following reasons:

1) Driver issues - you are bound to have more driver problems with SLI than a single card. Nvidia is pretty good about fixing them eventually, but you have to wait (usually a few months) for a fix

2) Power consumption - if you have a top end card that sucks almost 200W of power, imagine if you double that? It uses more power and produces more heat and resultant fan noise

3) Other issues - e.g. John Sonedecker recently posted he stopped using SLI because he had trouble with his dual monitor setup.

So historically, I have gone with the top-end card at the time (Voodoo 1-5, GF3, 9800 Pro, X800XT PE, GF 6800 to name a few) and once a game I like doesn't perform adequately, it's time for a new card. The reason I can wait a little longer to upgrade now is there is no game I am interested in to upgrade for.

NOISE - This is actually another big thing for me these days. It used to be about power and squeezing every drop of performance out of my rig, but now as I'm getting older, for some reason I find a noisy rig quite irritating.

With the Core 2 Duo, at last we can have great performance with minimal fans. In fact, a friend of mine who runs an OEM store had a few customers thinking their CPU fan had a problem because it would occasionally stop if the CPU was running cool enough!

The last few rigs I built for casual users all used passive cooling on the mobo chipset and GPU, and the only fans were on the PSU, CPU, and one extra case fan at the rear of the case. They were a pleasure to use.

Now, I know for a rig with a performance GPU, this may not be possible, but hopefully they come out with better cooling solutions in the future.

With

#1 Not actually usually driver issues... but driver limitations and broken on 1st release (1st of a series like 16X.XX and such) Some drivers get released with broken sli and you have to use the old ones. This is my 1st SLI capable rig but i have some clan members running it fine.

#2 i agree... surprizingly i am running my rig on a 500 watt with no issues. With a 2nd card i probably would upgrade this.

#3 Not using Dual monitor but that may have been a driver bug still. That would definatly effect those that use flight sims with 3 monitors..

#4 Believe it or not... my GTX8800 cannot be heard. It's silent. The only thing i hear now and then is my quad spinning faster when i play GRAW1 and that's because my pc sits on my desk directly to the right of me. In previous versions and if i overclocked it though i imagine it would get loud. No fans on the mainboard and heatpipes or passive cooling i fully agree on.

Here is a funny story with the Core 2 and the P5B asus boards. When the Core 2 first came out, the bios flagged it as a bad cpu fan because it only runs at 800 rpms until under load because of running so cool. They released a bios update to fix it. My quad is the same way but GRAW1 likes to tac out the processor so it sometimes hits 1600 rpms to keep it at 43 degrees C.

My quad also usually idles at 34C and under high load hits 43C with stock fan. Funny thing is my mainboad runs at 37C, so on idle my processor is cooler then my system LOL!

dporter... LOL don't you love it. Are company covers a lot of school districts and websense usually does the same to me. I have vnc on a game server at home though just for that reason.. same way you use your citrix in a way... just not another session.