In just over a month Vista has picked up a bigger install base than bo

ROCO*AFZ*

My Eweek magazine says people are still waiting to see the "WOW" that's in Vista. From my best recollection, every other Windows release seemed to be successful.

win98/98SE was good

ME sucked

XP good

Vista sucks

Vienna? by the pattern here, Vienna will probably win hands down. I'll wait until late 2009 for Vienna.

I think Vista would've been better served to have been dropped. too many delays, too many issues with drivers..too many technologies that were supposed to be the highlight of Vista were dropped due to not being able to get it to work.

Vista by all appearances seems to be another ME problem and I'm talking as a customer here. the ONLY way I'd go Vista is if I bought a NEW PC with it pre-installed. But at over $200 for a version with better features, naw. though the $99 vista basic or is it home basic would suffice.

Papa ... things have changed and drivers are up to date now. It is definately not a ME. The only problems i see is with old hardware and out of date software. Vista will tell you they won't work.... example nero 6

But back to the actual point of the article.

Gates is saying more people are currently installing vista then Mac or Linux, and for the time frame of 100 days it has sold more then it had any other operating system in the same time frame.

Xp is still available also... but it looks like xp users are converting.

Here is another article on this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6660367.stm

And here is one from slashdot... who promotes linux...

http://slashdot.org/articles/07/04/27/1219215.shtml

And here is a report on the 1st month where it toppled windows 2000 and was similar to XP for sales.

http://news.com.com/Report+Vistas+business..._3-6149468.html

The reason for the big conversion figure is purely that Microsoft have been giving the FREE UPGRADE to Vista with all PC's from major suppliers (DELL etc) for the last 2 years.

I would like to see the figures for all the people that got their free upgrade, then decided to go back to XP ;)

The reason for the big conversion figure is purely that Microsoft have been giving the FREE UPGRADE to Vista with all PC's from major suppliers (DELL etc) for the last 2 years.

I would like to see the figures for all the people that got their free upgrade, then decided to go back to XP ;)

I'll have to find the figure... as i read it somewhere... but dell got sued for not owning up to there free upgrade. They didn't link people to MS... but was handling it on there own.

Through our OEM you could get the free upgrade directly from microsoft but... it expired March 31st... and only came out late feb. It would cost your 13 bucks to ship but i only think maybe 3 outta a few hunderd customers took advantage of it. (people are lazy lol) we mainly deal with businesses and in the last month they started adopting Vista as Whql drivers came out. I'm running vista here at work and XP in a Virtual PC within Vista with IE6 and Office 2003 for tech support. My Vista of course has IE7 and Office 2007.

Oh here is the article on Dell

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130451-pg,1/article.html

My parents did the straight upgrade via MS and in 3 weeks they got vista, with no issues. (they bought a pc from us)

Well Roco, my problem is, the latest upgrade advisor tells me my PC is 100% capable.

So..i installed my Vista business and it said my PC wasn't. I'm not running anything that shouldn't be able to run, literally or as per the advisor.

But MS's tech support couldn't figure out why my CPU usage was 80-100% constantly and I gave them full system control through remote access. the damn tech rep couldn't get anything to work.

But, Vista says my AMD 64 3700+ (939 CPU on a ASUS Ambermine mobo) was a bottleneck..BS!

This OS has mor eproblems than I think alot will admit.(not talking about you ROCO) :thumbsup:

But this OS has had nothing but problems since delays and more delays...

Added: but as for Bill gates. I don't believe him for a minute. He'll say anything, remember MS pays his bills.

But Dell just let the market know they will pre-install Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn on ordered PC's. that should bring more of a presence to linux and dig into Windows market

Edited by Papa6

Well Roco, my problem is, the latest upgrade advisor tells me my PC is 100% capable.

So..i installed my Vista business and it said my PC wasn't. I'm not running anything that shouldn't be able to run, literally or as per the advisor.

But MS's tech support couldn't figure out why my CPU usage was 80-100% constantly and I gave them full system control through remote access. the damn tech rep couldn't get anything to work.

But, Vista says my AMD 64 3700+ (939 CPU on a ASUS Ambermine mobo) was a bottleneck..BS!

This OS has mor eproblems than I think alot will admit.(not talking about you ROCO) :thumbsup:

But this OS has had nothing but problems since delays and more delays...

Added: but as for Bill gates. I don't believe him for a minute. He'll say anything, remember MS pays his bills.

But Dell just let the market know they will pre-install Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn on ordered PC's. that should bring more of a presence to linux and dig into Windows market

Dell and Ubuntu may not be a good bundle... dell will have tons of crap ware on it to sponsor it so they can sell it cheap.

What was the rating on your cpu? Nforce or via drivers up to date? (and were they out of beta when you installed them)

As for problems.. none here. Only have seen it with older hardware and early beta drivers. (kinda like the earlier days of linux when you had to compile your drivers)

iv had only problems with old software... and software not made for vista.

and a couple more involved tech problems with apps relating to 3d graphics....

but other then that i really like vista.

I am dual booting Vista on 2 home systems, and although the interface is pretty, it is still very clunky and I have run into several frustrating problems with drivers and software compatibility.

For example, when I installed Vista on a system with a Linksys ethernet card (v4.1) which there should be a million of these network cards around, Vista did NOT have default drivers for this. I would have to connect to the internet to download the driver but how could I do this without my network card working?

Fortunately I was able to locate and purchase an older version D-link card that Vista had default drivers for, but it was frustrating to have to do that. (Vista seems to have drivers for onboard network chips, but limited for add-in NICs)

I also wanted to try Vista for its parental controls, but it quite clunky to use at this point too.

And lately I tried to download a movie trailer for Quicktime 7, and it didn't show up. QT seems essentially broken for Vista - anyone else have luck with it?

I have to say at this point, I don't recommend Vista for anyone who does not have a fast computer (i.e. new Core 2 Duo system), and uses their system for more than e-mail and uploading their photos. If you use your computer for more than that (gaming etc) stick with a stable and mature system like XP until Vista gets its first service pack.

I have to say at this point, I don't recommend Vista for anyone who does not have a fast computer (i.e. new Core 2 Duo system), and uses their system for more than e-mail and uploading their photos. If you use your computer for more than that (gaming etc) stick with a stable and mature system like XP until Vista gets its first service pack.

I was toying with the idea of building a new PC today, and thought about making the move to Vista at the same time. I was in two minds, but with the advice above, I'll stick with XP for at least another 6 months.

I am dual booting Vista on 2 home systems, and although the interface is pretty, it is still very clunky and I have run into several frustrating problems with drivers and software compatibility.

For example, when I installed Vista on a system with a Linksys ethernet card (v4.1) which there should be a million of these network cards around, Vista did NOT have default drivers for this. I would have to connect to the internet to download the driver but how could I do this without my network card working?

Fortunately I was able to locate and purchase an older version D-link card that Vista had default drivers for, but it was frustrating to have to do that. (Vista seems to have drivers for onboard network chips, but limited for add-in NICs)

I also wanted to try Vista for its parental controls, but it quite clunky to use at this point too.

And lately I tried to download a movie trailer for Quicktime 7, and it didn't show up. QT seems essentially broken for Vista - anyone else have luck with it?

Grab the k-lite codec pack and use the quicktime alternative.

Vista business also doesn't have DVD support playback built in... hence the business. Ultimate and preimium do but 3rd part stuff will bring it to life.

As for gaming ... no issues here now. I will be reloading Vista on my old pc now that it has matured and i'll report back. (my old pc had problems with certain games like GRAW with my 6800GS and 3.0 w/hyper but the drivers were beta then. My new nforce based p5n32-E-SLI with 8800GTX, Quad Core and the same X-Fi music work great in Vista)

Grab the k-lite codec pack and use the quicktime alternative.

As for gaming ... no issues here now. I will be reloading Vista on my old pc now that it has matured and i'll report back.

Thanks for the advice Roco!

To be honest, Vista works pretty smoothly on my P4 3.4GHz system, but seems to chug on my older 2.5GHz non-HT system despite 2GB or RAM in each. That's why I wouldn't recommend it generally unless someone has a Core 2 Duo.

I recently attended a LAN party with a couple Vista machines and they didn't have any probs with the games we played (BF2142, GR, Starcraft, CS, CoH). My point about gaming was mainly immature drivers and more system overhead for Vista than XP. However, if you have a fast card like Roco, it's not much of a problem

I personally do NOT see Vista as another Windows Me. Far from it. That is a poor and unfair comparison.

Vista is a solid system with MS dedicated to update and improve. Windows Me was just a stop-gap OS that MS threw out to sell a few copies before they turned Windows 2000 into the more "user-friendly" XP

Anyhoo, OEM XP will not be available after this year, so all this will be a moot point.

btw in loading the k-lite package i found that it installs the cybermedia codecs that enable DVD playback in Windows medial player 11 in Vista business. Was testing it tonight when loading my wifes pc which is my old parts. Going to test GRAW on it tomorrow to see if the newer stable drivers fix the stuttering issue i was having before.

My Eweek magazine says people are still waiting to see the "WOW" that's in Vista. From my best recollection, every other Windows release seemed to be successful.

win98/98SE was good

ME sucked

XP good

Vista sucks

Vienna? by the pattern here, Vienna will probably win hands down. I'll wait until late 2009 for Vienna.

I think Vista would've been better served to have been dropped. too many delays, too many issues with drivers..too many technologies that were supposed to be the highlight of Vista were dropped due to not being able to get it to work.

Vista by all appearances seems to be another ME problem and I'm talking as a customer here. the ONLY way I'd go Vista is if I bought a NEW PC with it pre-installed. But at over $200 for a version with better features, naw. though the $99 vista basic or is it home basic would suffice.

Hey papa... did it quote anyone? They called me at work about a month ago and i gave some feedback.

I was toying with the idea of building a new PC today, and thought about making the move to Vista at the same time. I was in two minds, but with the advice above, I'll stick with XP for at least another 6 months.

Stick with XP Rocky.

I've bought Vista (64-bit) and it sucks big time.

Software fails, I'm getting hangups and when I leave it on idle, the display goes all bonkers.

I mean, today I bought Armed Assault....installed it...ran it...NOTHING! Display goes all wack and sometimes the drive keeps on loading, never stops nor start the game.

Vista is a piece of crap, really it is.

I'm thinking about backing up my data and re-installing XP all over.

Edited by deleyt

Vista is a piece of crap, really it is.

I'm thinking about backing up my data and re-installing XP all over.

Hmm ... does that mean you can work more on Trainride then? :shifty: If so, I'm all for it!!! :thumbsup:

I mentioned it elsewhere that all my Vista systems are dual boot with XP because I've run into similar issues.

Note that you can NOT install XP after Vista, as XP doesn't recognize it.

One quick way to reinstall XP is get a new 2nd hard drive, and make the HD with Vista the slave/secondary drive. That way, XP can still access data on your Vista drive, and 6-12 months down the road if you want to give Vista another try, you can just make your Vista HD the master drive again.

btw in loading the k-lite package i found that it installs the cybermedia codecs that enable DVD playback in Windows medial player 11 in Vista business. Was testing it tonight when loading my wifes pc which is my old parts. Going to test GRAW on it tomorrow to see if the newer stable drivers fix the stuttering issue i was having before.

win98/98SE was good

ME sucked

XP good

Vista sucks

Hey papa... did it quote anyone? They called me at work about a month ago and i gave some feedback.

It only said that the market was waiting for the Wow. businesses were weighing in as to how they were going to implement Vista. But my god..the prices for Vista? absolutely frickin' insane. if the OS isn't arrogant enough, the prices are. :rofl:

businesses were weighing in as to how they were going to implement Vista

I do believe was exactly what i told them.

I explained that our local hospital won't change an O/S for about a year after release.

As for price... OEM vista business from us is 159.00

OEM XP Pro is also 159. Not outrageous at all.

Drivers up to date? old software bugging out on you? Truefully they are usually only the causes for the above.

I ran the armed assault demo fine on my vista with my 6800. No issues. And that was on a socket 478 P4!

All drivers are up to date. I can't really call ArmA old as it has been released just some weeks ago.

I think it's the way Vista64 handles 32-bit software.

Hmm ... does that mean you can work more on Trainride then? :shifty: If so, I'm all for it!!! :thumbsup:

I mentioned it elsewhere that all my Vista systems are dual boot with XP because I've run into similar issues.

One quick way to reinstall XP is get a new 2nd hard drive, and make the HD with Vista the slave/secondary drive. That way, XP can still access data on your Vista drive, and 6-12 months down the road if you want to give Vista another try, you can just make your Vista HD the master drive again.

I'm pretty much done with modding GR. So I won't be working on Trainride. Sorry.

Thanks for your advice on how to install XP alongside Vista.

I will take this into concideration :)

I'm pretty much done with modding GR. So I won't be working on Trainride. Sorry.

Thanks for all your hard work on Trainride in the past. It's a truly unique and fantastic mod!

The other benefit of getting a 2nd HD I meant to mention was that you don't need to backup your data before installing XP as your data is still on your Vista HD.

Of course it's still a good idea to back up your data anyway. What I would do is make a back up partition on your new XP drive to mirror the data on your Vista drive onto your XP drive once a month. If both your HD's are SATA and internal, it will be a speedy data transfer.

Drivers up to date? old software bugging out on you? Truefully they are usually only the causes for the above.

I ran the armed assault demo fine on my vista with my 6800. No issues. And that was on a socket 478 P4!

All drivers are up to date. I can't really call ArmA old as it has been released just some weeks ago.

I think it's the way Vista64 handles 32-bit software.

I was running vista and XP that way during the launch. My asus board when hitting f8 gives me a choice of which hard drive to boot from. You can also copy files back in forth as each O/S sees the other as a D drive.

Probably a 64 bit issue. I'm using 32bit as it was free from work. 64 Bit Vista though is way better then 64bit XP which hardly and drivers were made for.

I guess AMD was wrong when they pushed for 64 bit... it's slow on being accepted. Boo amd. LOL!

I guess AMD was wrong when they pushed for 64 bit... it's slow on being accepted. Boo amd. LOL!

Well, Intel was dragging their feet on 64-bit, and likely would have longer if AMD didn't take the first step. Remember how we used 486DX procs for years and years until AMD started making x86 procs before Intel launched the Pentium chip.

64-bit is slow in being accepted because there's no killer apps that run at 64-bit. And games are really what push the cutting edge. Once some must-have games come out on the 64-bit Unreal Engine, we might see some serious migration to 64-bit OS's.

Oh, just found this

Troubleshooting Vista x64 Installations Over 4 Different Systems

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/window...roubleshooting/