Rocky got an Internet upgrade!

Rocky

I've always been thankful for my 4Mbit broadband, not all areas can get anywhere near that speed in the UK. Today, with Virgins takeover of Blueyonder, I got a nice upgrade on that already decent 4Mbit, up to 10Mbit download speeds! Awesome :D

Same as the 4Mb package, 384Kbit, which is okay really.

I get 512 with my 8meg BT broadband. Is it just cause of the area your in that its low?

Well its meant to be 512 the actual stats say:

Statistics

Downstream Line Rate 8128 Kbps

Upstream Line Rate 448 Kbps

I'm cable, you're ADSL. Cable upload packages are generally slower than ADSL.

Cool deal Rocky. Now there is someone here with a faster download than me (at least who has said anything). I know you will love it.

How fast is that? I've had some ridiculous speeds here. So if yours is faster, I'm VERY jealous. :)

Cool deal Rocky. Now there is someone here with a faster download than me (at least who has said anything). I know you will love it.

How fast is that? I've had some ridiculous speeds here. So if yours is faster, I'm VERY jealous. :)

I have 6.0 Bellsouth DSL at home and have downloaded stuff at 755Kbps in the past (just not here in Columbia on the hotels T1 line where I see speeds of less than dial-up speeds).

When we moved house I had to leave my 10meg cable connection behind as there was no cable where we were moving to, I'm with pipex now and get 6meg down but of a night it drops to about 1.5meg, its utter pants when compared to cable but it is a lot cheaper, phoneline, free calls and 8meg cable unlimited download is only 30 quid.

Quite honestly though, I can't really see any benefit of 10M over the 4Mb, both are really very fast. To try it out I download 3 files from fileplanet at the same time last night, and they all came down extremely fast, but I can't think of a single time when I have really wanted to download 3 large files at the same time, so realistically 4Mb is more than enough. If there was a big price differential, I'd stick with4Mb.

In real world terms it means I can download 3 files at the same time and each one will come down at over 300Kb/sec. Just for kicks I might try and grab a 1 Gb file from someplace later on and see how fast I get it, I think it should only take just over 10 minutes LMAO.

Use the blueyonder news servers mate, theyre ridiculously fast and have lots of "stuff" on them and give you the full bandwidth, so you get the whole 1Meg a second which is insanely fast, different sites give you different speeds though, some are up there but some seem to be capped. Go on, try the newsgroups....

Well, here's a cool thing, downloading an 800Mb GR movie tonight I was getting it as fast as the server could send it to me, around 300Kb/sec - then I fired up my download manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/) and I started getting it at the full capacity of my connection - so it took about 10 mins to get 800Mb :o

I thought that odd we had 10MB a year ago, same company but dif location, our offer here is supposed to be 16mb as a free upgrade to existing packages, strange.

Nice one though Rocky. :thumbsup:

Who's that offering the 16Mb internet?

If memory serves, I have a 10Mb at home. And I see some crazy speeds when I'm not wireless. Even wireless pulls over 500KBS, the fastest I've ever gotten my one at home to go was probably around 800KBS for one file.

Here, well, I think we're on a government line somewhere or something. It's not at all uncommon for me to download something at 1MBS The fastest I've seen it register was 2MBS. Good to know my money goes to *something*... seeing as the administration sucks. /rant

Oh yes mate, you can get 100Gig a day now if you really wanted to, which works out to a 700meg avi in 10 minutes or a full 4.7gig dvd in just over an hour, pretty good eh?

LOL, I assume you actually have to live in a flat right ontop of the exchange for those sort of speeds?

I thought that odd we had 10MB a year ago, same company but dif location, our offer here is supposed to be 16mb as a free upgrade to existing packages, strange.

Virgin bro, we have the tv,phone,and cable account £35.00 a month.

Trace got mail asking if we wanted to upgrade phone and internet package, not sure about upload speed though.

Havent heard back yet, they only just moved in to the main office here last week.

Trace got mail asking if we wanted to upgrade phone and internet package, not sure about upload speed though.

Havent heard back yet, they only just moved in to the main office here last week.

Yeh it's virgin I'm with too, but the highest internet speed package I could see was their broadband XL account at 10Mb, I don't see a 16Mb service mentioned, although I think I did read rumours about it in the newsgroups.

We've ended up with a nice package since Virgin took over, got the (previously premium) movie channels and sports channels included in the price of the package now, which is a bonus.

BTW, basic TV, phone, and cable modem should only be £30, phone up and save yourself a fiver - if this is your package.

Yeh it's virgin I'm with too, but the highest internet speed package I could see was their broadband XL account at 10Mb, I don't see a 16Mb service mentioned, although I think I did read rumours about it in the newsgroups.

We've ended up with a nice package since Virgin took over, got the (previously premium) movie channels and sports channels included in the price of the package now, which is a bonus.

BTW, basic TV, phone, and cable modem should only be £30, phone up and save yourself a fiver - if this is your package.

:thumbsup: Your right it is £30.00 Ill get the missus on it. She is mean on the phone :yes: cheers mate

Oh yes mate, you can get 100Gig a day now if you really wanted to, which works out to a 700meg avi in 10 minutes or a full 4.7gig dvd in just over an hour, pretty good eh?

LOL, I assume you actually have to live in a flat right ontop of the exchange for those sort of speeds?

Nope that was Blueyonder cable for you, pretty rock solid all the time, unlike pipex who i've just found havent taken the last 3 months payment out of the bank and didnt register the change of bank details from a month back, fecking useless customer service!