Ghost Recon.net Forums

Simple question, I find it really hard to get into any online game that does not have built in VoIP as entering a game, finding out what everyone (if any) is using then quiting loading and going back in is a right royal pain.

So... Is GRAW2 going to include a built in VoIP client / Server ?

you would think they'd do it. you'd also the community would want it. Oddly enough it seems that most people around here don't want it and there doesn't seem to be a large enough outcry for it for the developers to take notice and put it in. I think it's absolutely retarded not to have some form of team communication built into a so called tactical team based game, whether it be VOIP or some form of preprogrammed expressions. But whatever.

Personally I'm so used using third party software like TeamSpeak or Ventrillo with clanmates and allies, so I just don't feel the need...but I can see that the more solo gamer may find it helpful when joining servers. As an option it should be fine

However, imo there are other aspects of GRAW that needs more attention than adding VoIP. If sacrifize anything, I'd say keep sacrifize the VoIP...

Time will tell what they did...

Personally I'm so used using third party software like TeamSpeak or Ventrillo with clanmates and allies, so I just don't feel the need...but I can see that the more solo gamer may find it helpful when joining servers. As an option it should be fine

However, imo there are other aspects of GRAW that needs more attention than adding VoIP. If sacrifize anything, I'd say keep sacrifize the VoIP...

I agree I am used to using outside VOIP, but a in game voip would be nice. I wonder if in game voip is better than a outside voip.

Well either way hopefully GRIN adds it. :g_withgrin:

Death...

I agree I am used to using outside VOIP, but a in game voip would be nice. I wonder if in game voip is better than a outside voip.

Well either way hopefully GRIN adds it. :g_withgrin:

Death...

That's the issue....inside voip is generally worse than outside voip. TS, Ventrillo, etc. are specifically developed to be efficient at minimal loss of quality. I agree with Peace, I'd rather see gameplay improved than getting caught up in licensing and application issues from building-in voice comms. The PC world has been using 3rd party VOIP since the release of Roger Wilco. They are simple and effective and don't need to be reinvented by already overburdened programmers. I like that you can stay connected after exiting (or crashing) in a game or app. Consoles, on the other hand, you have no choice, and "no choice" is what I abhore most about consoles. My guess is that about 80 percent of gamers would probably disable it.

Inside voip is generally worse than outside voip. TS, Ventrillo, etc. are specifically developed to be efficient at minimal loss of quality. I agree with Peace, I'd rather see gameplay improved than getting caught up in licensing and application issues from building-in voice comms. The PC world has been using 3rd party VOIP since the release of Roger Wilco. They are simple and effective and don't need to be reinvented by already overburdened programmers.

Ditto.

Inside voip is generally worse than outside voip. TS, Ventrillo, etc. are specifically developed to be efficient at minimal loss of quality. I agree with Peace, I'd rather see gameplay improved than getting caught up in licensing and application issues from building-in voice comms. The PC world has been using 3rd party VOIP since the release of Roger Wilco. They are simple and effective and don't need to be reinvented by already overburdened programmers.

Ditto.

Agreed, plus you have these kids cursing up a storm with this type of chat. I have friends that have stopped chatting online because of this.

But either way TS works for me.

Ditto.

Agreed, plus you have these kids cursing up a storm with this type of chat. I have friends that have stopped chatting online because of this.

But either way TS works for me.

Yes, I agree on both .. that feature built in opens up idiots to shout off then you need to modify it for non spam etc. Wheras those who realy want to play right will go out there way to get these extra progs to do the job. I bet those who have specificaly got TS or RW etc will be the ones who play the game correctly too.

Most casual throw away run & gunners would find it a hassle to bother. In some ways you could see it as its own spam filter :P:D

i think for me it would depend on quality and system resource

in game voip might be simple and compatible but will the game be smoother or will the sound quality be equal to TS ?

can you customize it like TS ?(codec, in- output controles, teams etc. ?)

vent and TS are good to use and maybe for one core gamers a lot of stress on the cpu, but an in game voip might be just as much of stress and often with less controle.

the problem i have with 3rd party voice programs is that you're limiting the "teamwork" to only those who want to go out of their way to use such programs and exclude either the casual gamer, or the...how do you say this.... TS or Vent uneducated gamer. Rather than being able to communicate with your entire team that you could coordinate attacks etc., you're left to only communicate with people on your personal TS or vent. I've joined servers but not the TS cause I didn't feel like writing down the IP, getting out of the game, joining TS, then rejoining the game. It's a big hassle and not worth it most of the time. If it was built in it'd be much more enjoyable, as long as you had the option to mute all or individuals at your descretion. I really don't think voice quality matters that much either. I really don't care if some dude's voice comes through crystal clear or not. Not saying that VOIP would make everyone work as a team, cause it won't, but it's your best hope for teamwork(for everyone on the server at the same time) since there is no team communication ability whatsoever in the game. You create a very narrow niche of people for multiplayer by having no communication ability in it. Yes you could use the text chat, but cmon. it takes way too long and it's small enough that you don't pay attention to it when in battle. The BF2 bloom menu or something would've been nice.

Since desmond chimed in I'm guessing there are no plans to include VOIP for whatever reason so I don't think the people who are against it have anything to worry about.

Edited by Ghost9

the problem i have with 3rd party voice programs is that you're limiting the "teamwork" to only those who want to go out of their way to use such programs and exclude either the casual gamer, or the...how do you say this.... TS or Vent uneducated gamer. Rather than being able to communicate with your entire team that you could coordinate attacks etc., you're left to only communicate with people on your personal TS or vent. I've joined servers but not the TS cause I didn't feel like writing down the IP, getting out of the game, joining TS, then rejoining the game. It's a big hassle and not worth it most of the time. If it was built in it'd be much more enjoyable, as long as you had the option to mute all or individuals at your descretion. I really don't think voice quality matters that much either. I really don't care if some dude's voice comes through crystal clear or not. Not saying that VOIP would make everyone work as a team, cause it won't, but it's your best hope for teamwork(for everyone on the server at the same time) since there is no team communication ability whatsoever in the game. You create a very narrow niche of people for multiplayer by having no communication ability in it. Yes you could use the text chat, but cmon. it takes way too long and it's small enough that you don't pay attention to it when in battle. The BF2 bloom menu or something would've been nice.

Since desmond chimed in I'm guessing there are no plans to include VOIP for whatever reason so I don't think the people who are against it have anything to worry about.

If there is to be a ingame voip, it would be nice to have the ability to be customized, such as creating your own channel with the ability to lock it so you and your clan ppl wont have to worry about idiotic ppl talking out the side of thier necks.

Either way I hope for the best :D

Death

i think that if it would be ingame voip it would best be server side admin

and toggle on off, volume and mute client side

Having experienced in-game VoIP before, I must say it's not all it's cracked up to be. The problems are:

1. You can't expect a very high quality implementation given the budget constraints and the rest of the game elements.

2. Even when it's there, few people actually use it. They either find it too buggy and/or prefer to use a 3rd party program.

3. The fact that even when perfectly implemented, it is unavailable outside of the game rules it out for most squads.

4. Finally, those who do find it useful, will have trouble finding others to join them and leave their tried, tested and preferred alternatives.

I'm not against the concept, I just think that boat has sailed. It's too late to wean people off TS and its counterparts. Instead, I think it's time game developers considered licensing and packaging TS (and its ilk) within their games.

No opinion on the above topic but communication related...

Clans are going to be on whatever coms work for them however for joiners (or in open servers) without TS or Ventrilo it would be nice if there were some default Chat Message hot keys (ala [GR]).

Might save some embarrassing moments due to typing out a warning, just abit too late.

And it shouldn't be that difficult to implement.

I think what would be interesting would be to put controls in the game for an 3rd party VOIP like TeamSpeak or Ventrilo. I know that with TeamSpeak you can at least join a server that is running TeamSpeak directly from the webiste - it launches the client and joins the server automatically. What would be interesting to see would be support for somthing like this in game.

The server would specify the server and port and the user could configure the user name to join with. Even if you had to configure the client separately in regards to the input out putsettings such as push to talk or automatic activation. At least the joining and use would be automatic and nearly seamless once configured.

I think what would be interesting would be to put controls in the game for an 3rd party VOIP like TeamSpeak or Ventrilo. I know that with TeamSpeak you can at least join a server that is running TeamSpeak directly from the webiste - it launches the client and joins the server automatically. What would be interesting to see would be support for somthing like this in game.

The server would specify the server and port and the user could configure the user name to join with. Even if you had to configure the client separately in regards to the input out putsettings such as push to talk or automatic activation. At least the joining and use would be automatic and nearly seamless once configured.

That is one of the best damn ideas I think I've ever heard....eliminates the need for a real in-game VoIP and makes it easily accessed to the public.

A guy made an admin controls addon for Ravenshield that allowed people to join your Vent or TS server by typing "Vent" or "TS" in the console.

Macgyver did that with his extendCMDs mod and then incorporated it in his FeedPiranahs AC mod. It was was the primary example I was referencing.

If GRIN could do something like this it would be a great start. Such as letting the server define the TS server and channel to use. That would be awesome.

What would be very nice but would take some doing would be adding controls for TS via the ingame interface. They could use a similar idea of TSO (teamspeak overlay) to show the channel information as well and who is speaking. Again this is definitely possible with simple D3D hooking which is what TSO uses. The problem comes in the actual administration of the program. Such as needing to mute players and whatnot. Or say you are in an adversarial server where they would like to use subchannels. With random teams on every map, it makes it more difficult to manage.

I'm not saying this couldn't be overcome, because I think it could. But it would be a great start to just have joining a defined TS server from ingame as a start.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

I've read this thread and there is no answer but I've read elsewhere that something is being bundled into GRAW2

Will GRAW2 include VOIP? I've heard that something is being included but the problem is

if it includes VOIP, will it be like Armed Assault? where voice spamming is a big issue.

In Armed Assault, when someone tx over voip, there is no graphical notice that says who is Transmitting. Anyone have any idea or info if GRAW2 will incl. VOIP?

I've read this thread and there is no answer but I've read elsewhere that something is being bundled into GRAW2

Will GRAW2 include VOIP? I've heard that something is being included but the problem is

if it includes VOIP, will it be like Armed Assault? where voice spamming is a big issue.

In Armed Assault, when someone tx over voip, there is no graphical notice that says who is Transmitting. Anyone have any idea or info if GRAW2 will incl. VOIP?

I think it will ship with some sort of TeamSpeak-thingy. Not "real" VOIP, just a 3rd party program.

Edited by Hockeystick

In an interview Bo mentioned GRAW 2 and TS but didn't give any details. It would be great, as some has already said, for the game to automatically connect you to the appropriate TS server and channel depending on what team you are on. I don't think a full fledged VOIP is needed as once your out of game you have no comms and most clans (you know the ones who usually host the servers) typically already have a TS or Vent server and would probably just disable the in-game VOIP anyways.

I think it will ship with some sort of TeamSpeak-thingy. Not "real" VOIP, just a 3rd party program.

Not sure I understand, if you could go into the technicallities between VOIP and Teamspeak and your teamspeak-thingy and how they differ that would help. Unless you are talking about back-end QoS from your ISP ? Voice over IP, be it teamspeak, ingame, or another 3rd party is still voice over ip unless they have changed it to text-to-speech which would be interesting.

Not sure I understand, if you could go into the technicallities between VOIP and Teamspeak and your teamspeak-thingy and how they differ that would help. Unless you are talking about back-end QoS from your ISP ? Voice over IP, be it teamspeak, ingame, or another 3rd party is still voice over ip unless they have changed it to text-to-speech which would be interesting.

I can't find the topic right now, but it has been mentioned that the game will ship with a 3rd party program aka Teamspeak, with some sort of 10-14 day trial of something that has to do with Teamspeak.

When I say "real" VOIP I mean built in VOIP as in CS or BF2.

I stopped using the VOIP built into BF2 the second day I played it. I've found that you filter out most of the boogereaters by using Ventrilo (or TS) because they just don't wanna be bothered with having to set up another program. BF2 VOIP was filled with abusive kids who just refused to act right. If someone acts up on my Vent server it's easy to ban them forever.

3rd party comms is where it's at. It's been that way for us for the last 7 years and I don't see that changing with any of the serious squads. Same thing with servers. While there are "official" servers the best ones usually are privately run. They're rebooted more often and admined fairly well.