GR.Net Folding Team

XavierOnasis

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on it, and tomorrow Ill set up another rig to help out. I've got a 2390Mhz that only does folding when Im on WinWKAS which is from 12:00am-3pm. And may set it up on a 300MHz machine. I've already got one WU 90% done.

So 2390+2790 brings us to 5180 MHz

Edited by Stinger

@ 7570MHz, if I'm counting right. Haven't added the soon-to-be-folding processors yet. With them, we'll be roundabout 11.09GHz. I think.

How many WUs are your protiens, guys? Mine's 400, and moving at one WU per 7ish minutes. Thinking that this would make a good pure-processor benchmark.

Edited by XavierOnasis

Today in 13 hours I've pumped 50% of a WU out. But yesterday in the same amount of time I had about 90%. And in 13 hours my 300MHz celly pumped out 8% of a 400 lol. I'll be gone all the way till Sunday pretty much so I'll leave it running and that should crank up some more WU's.

I noticed that there are only 4 members. How many of you have better things than helping find a cure for cancer while your in bed for 6 hours? Come on guys join the cause!

@XO, how did you get a 70 on 1 WU? IIRC all the Folding ones are 400 so are some "harder" ones to crack? I've got 2 boxen and 3 OS's working on Folding and 2 are near completion but thats kinda whacky lol.

@Current members GJ out there! Were climbin the ranks!

Beats me. Might have something to do with the time taken for the fold, or it may be in deference to the hairy nads my laptop has. :D Left my note on whilst I was in class / working, and am 172 into my next fold.

My 1GHz is chewing through a 200 WU fold. Maybe it's scaled to processor speed. 66%, I believe

I haven't a clue why it assigns different scores to different protiens. Something to experiment on?

I have a 300Mhz Celly on a 317/400 WU, my Server 2K3 is on 272/400 on a WU and I'm not sure what the XP one has on it. Maybe I will install it on my parents other puter too.

@XO are you sure the 200 one isnt the Genome Project? Go into configure F@H and then look at advanced and check the Client Type.

Edited by Stinger

I just finished a 500 in one day...it takes me 2 ussually for a 400 on my 2.4. Oh well I'm at the top now :P:D Other people out there, I know you guys would enjoy this and it only costs your electric bill a bit more...maybe we can get Rocky to announce the team on the Front Page?

Took you three protiens to do it, though ;) If my 2nd finds its way to Stanford, I'll be back on top ;) This 500 is cooking merrily along. Ought to get a good fold in tomorrow. Leave for uni @ 0730, get home from work at 2130. Fold, fold, fold, all day long :devil:

From http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html

How much power/money is used by keeping a F@H running 24/7 on a computer?

Roughly, a CPU uses about as much power as a 60 watt lightbulb. Here's a report on computer power management from Lawrence Berkeley goverment labs, and there are other referencs on the web you can find. Although power supplies on most computers are rated at 250 watts, average usage is much lower. On average, a Pentium-type computer uses between 45-70 watts (I've read various different sources on this) while it is on. If the computer has no idle mode, it will use the same amount of energy whether it is running a program or not. If it is on idle, it will comsume around 25 watts. So, the daily difference between off and running F@H is about 24x(45 to 70) = 1.1 to 1.7 kWh. At $0.14 per kWh ( from PG&E here in California), this works out to about $0.15 to $0.24 per day, or perhaps $6 a month. The difference between an idled computer and one running F@H would be closer to $4 a month - and if the computer was already being used 8 hours a day, it would be closer to $3 a month.

In general, lighting and climate control use a much larger share of household power than computers do. So the best bet for cutting costs and conserving energy would be to turn off lights, turn off your computer monitors (which use more power than a CPU), and turn down the heat. And keep folding :)

Edited by XavierOnasis